Buried in a Bog by Sheila Connolly

English (27)  French (1)  All languages (28)
The single star is for the author’s acceptable descriptions of the Irish countryside. Those descriptions are the only parts of the book I enjoyed.
Buried in a Bog was a considerable disappointment to me. I was anticipating a light mystery with maybe a little bit of romance thrown in, interesting characters, and a bit of humor.
To my sad surprise, the book turned out to be stale, flat, and unprofitable. The premise is intriguing enough: young Maura was raised by her recently deceased grandmother. Gran has requested that Maura go to Ireland, where Gran was born, get acquainted with Gran’s home town, and “say a mass for Gran.”
That threw me off immediately. Only a priest can say a mass. Gran would have known that, and would have requested that Maura ask a priest to say a mass in Gran’s memory, for the repose of her soul. This may seem small, but it’s a very basic tenet of Catholicism. If the author didn’t care enough to get that detail right, what else did she gloss over? And then the requested mass is never mentioned again (as far as I know; I skipped some pages).
The characters are barely two-dimensional. They don’t change, and the reader doesn’t get to know much of anything about them. The “mystery” isn’t much, and worst of all, there is absolutely no humor in this book. None.
I’m obviously not the right audience for this book. I’m glad some other readers liked it.
I’m sorry I can’t recommend it. ( )
  bohemima | Oct 21, 2018 |
Honoring her granmother’s last wish, Maura journeys to Ireland for a week’s visit. But plans change, and she becomes ensnared in the little community and its friendly people. Trying to figure why Gran would send her to Ireland, Maura researches her roots, as well as looking into the discovery of a body recovered from a bog. Rich in descriptions of the countryside and full of Irish history, this tale is enchanting as well as entertaining, and a good beginning to a promising series. ( )
  Maydacat | May 21, 2018 |
Young woman from Boston honoring her grandmother’s dying wish goes to Ireland to tell her grand’s childhood friend that she has passed. She meets an assortment of interesting characters who all new the grandmother’s family. Everyone is nice and the grandson of the friend picks her up and takes her to meet his grandmother who offers her a car. On the way back to the village she’s stopped by the garda who have discovered a body in a bog. Later while helping out at the local pub she comes across a letter written to the deceased owner and thinks it’s relative to the dead man in the bog. Looking forward to the 2nd book in this series. ( )
  Kathy89 | May 27, 2017 |
Buried in a Bog by Sheila Connolly
County Cork Mystery series Book #1
3 Stars

From The Book:
Honoring the wish of her late grandmother, Maura Donovan visits the small Irish village where her Gran was born—though she never expected to get bogged down in a murder mystery. Nor had she planned to take a job in one of the local pubs, but she finds herself excited to get to know the people who knew her Gran.

In the pub, she’s swamped with drink orders as everyone in town gathers to talk about the recent discovery of a nearly one-hundred-year-old body in a nearby bog. When Maura realizes she may know something about the dead man—and that the body’s connected to another, more recent, death—she fears she’s about to become mired in a homicide investigation. After she discovers the death is connected to another from almost a century earlier, Maura has a sinking feeling she may really be getting in over her head.

My Thoughts:
Stories of and from Ireland have a special place in my heart as that is where my grandmother came from and where my mother was born. This is a well written... easy to read story with a character in Maura that is strong and able to stand up for herself. The biggest part of the story is Maura's introduction to her grandmother's origins. The body found in the bog gave the armchair detective something to ponder but it was really fairly simple to solve. The history of the bogs and the descriptions of the countryside helped to paint a visual of this beautiful country for the reader. It's the story of a young woman's journey from a large American city to a place where time has all but stopped. For the cozy mystery enthusiast it will be a more than satisfying read...for the hard core mystery lover it will just be a delightful rest from the Blood and mayhem that we normally read. Glad I read it, but being one of the blood and mayhem bunch I probably won't be in any hurry to go on to the next one. ( )
  Carol420 | Mar 10, 2017 |
The County Cork mystery series was recommended to me, and this is the first book in that series. I absolutely loved it! The setting, the characters, the mystery - all were superb. The book is set in present-day Ireland in as small town located in County Cork, Ireland. Maura Donovan is a 25 year old woman from Boston who has made the journey to Ireland to the County where her Gran was born and was married, Maura's gran has just passed away so she takes care of the funeral and settles her grandmother's affairs and head to Ireland after promising her grandmother that she would make the journey. When Maura arrives in the small Irish village where her grandmother was born, she finds herself embroiled in a mystery. An almost century old body has been uncovered in a peat bog. Maura happens to drive by the bog when they are bringing the body out. Her curiousity is aroused, and when a sudden, more recent murder occurs, Maura finds herself involved in a homicide investigation which ends up somehow being dangerous for her too. I have been really enjoying reading mystery series set in various European countries, so was thrilled to find this one set in Ireland. This is definitley a series I will be continuing with. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. ( )
  Romonko | Mar 15, 2016 |
People live in one another's shadows. --Irish proverb

While visiting the small Irish village where her Gran was born, Maura Donovan takes a job in one of the local pubs where she can get to know the people who knew her Gran, but instead, finds herself mired in a homicide investigation when a body is discovered in a nearby bog.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,483,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible