Buried in a Bog by Sheila Connolly
2062656,890 (3.63)35

English (25)  French (1)  All (26)
Young woman from Boston honoring her grandmother’s dying wish goes to Ireland to tell her grand’s childhood friend that she has passed. She meets an assortment of interesting characters who all new the grandmother’s family. Everyone is nice and the grandson of the friend picks her up and takes her to meet his grandmother who offers her a car. On the way back to the village she’s stopped by the garda who have discovered a body in a bog. Later while helping out at the local pub she comes across a letter written to the deceased owner and thinks it’s relative to the dead man in the bog. Looking forward to the 2nd book in this series. ( )
  Kathy89 | May 27, 2017 |
Buried in a Bog by Sheila Connolly
County Cork Mystery series Book #1
3 Stars

From The Book:
Honoring the wish of her late grandmother, Maura Donovan visits the small Irish village where her Gran was born—though she never expected to get bogged down in a murder mystery. Nor had she planned to take a job in one of the local pubs, but she finds herself excited to get to know the people who knew her Gran.

In the pub, she’s swamped with drink orders as everyone in town gathers to talk about the recent discovery of a nearly one-hundred-year-old body in a nearby bog. When Maura realizes she may know something about the dead man—and that the body’s connected to another, more recent, death—she fears she’s about to become mired in a homicide investigation. After she discovers the death is connected to another from almost a century earlier, Maura has a sinking feeling she may really be getting in over her head.

My Thoughts:
Stories of and from Ireland have a special place in my heart as that is where my grandmother came from and where my mother was born. This is a well written... easy to read story with a character in Maura that is strong and able to stand up for herself. The biggest part of the story is Maura's introduction to her grandmother's origins. The body found in the bog gave the armchair detective something to ponder but it was really fairly simple to solve. The history of the bogs and the descriptions of the countryside helped to paint a visual of this beautiful country for the reader. It's the story of a young woman's journey from a large American city to a place where time has all but stopped. For the cozy mystery enthusiast it will be a more than satisfying read...for the hard core mystery lover it will just be a delightful rest from the Blood and mayhem that we normally read. Glad I read it, but being one of the blood and mayhem bunch I probably won't be in any hurry to go on to the next one. ( )
  Carol420 | Mar 10, 2017 |
The County Cork mystery series was recommended to me, and this is the first book in that series. I absolutely loved it! The setting, the characters, the mystery - all were superb. The book is set in present-day Ireland in as small town located in County Cork, Ireland. Maura Donovan is a 25 year old woman from Boston who has made the journey to Ireland to the County where her Gran was born and was married, Maura's gran has just passed away so she takes care of the funeral and settles her grandmother's affairs and head to Ireland after promising her grandmother that she would make the journey. When Maura arrives in the small Irish village where her grandmother was born, she finds herself embroiled in a mystery. An almost century old body has been uncovered in a peat bog. Maura happens to drive by the bog when they are bringing the body out. Her curiousity is aroused, and when a sudden, more recent murder occurs, Maura finds herself involved in a homicide investigation which ends up somehow being dangerous for her too. I have been really enjoying reading mystery series set in various European countries, so was thrilled to find this one set in Ireland. This is definitley a series I will be continuing with. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. ( )
  Romonko | Mar 15, 2016 |
Was a decent first of a series. Enjoyable, but a bit predictable with the direction the life of the main character was going to go. Enjoyed the small Irish village feel.
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
I enjoy mysteries and cozies, and will always happily read anything set in Ireland, so I fully expected to love this book. Sadly, it was very disappointing. As other readers have said, it was very slow, and very little actually happens in its nearly 300 pages. But it was the main character that I really take exception to. For example, she grew up in Boston but had absolutely no interest in any of the city's history or culture because "it had nothing to do with her". This girl has zero intellectual curiosity, no ambition, no plans, and no interest in her own heritage. Granted, the author used this book to set up an upcoming series, but there's very little "story" here to maintain the reader's interest. The book's contempt for Irish tourism was unnecessary, as well. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
People live in one another's shadows. --Irish proverb

While visiting the small Irish village where her Gran was born, Maura Donovan takes a job in one of the local pubs where she can get to know the people who knew her Gran, but instead, finds herself mired in a homicide investigation when a body is discovered in a nearby bog.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,647,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible