Eva by Peter Dickinson

Eva (1988)

by Peter Dickinson

I read this a long time ago and remember that it left me with a bit of a creepy feeling. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Exciting sf for young people. Thought-provoking and recommended - but I can't say more for fear of spoiler. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |

I was moved to get this by Jo Walton's review on Tor.com, five years ago I now realise; I had no idea that it was one of Dickinson's best known books *"80% of my mail, almost all of it from the USA, is about this one book"); I know him for The Green Gene and Annerton Pit and Tulku and King and Joker and The Changes (of which I saw the first episode again at Worldcon).

It is a good take on a familiar sfnal theme, of a human mind transplanted into another body - H.L. Gold had his hero transplanted into a dog in 1939, and there's always I Will Fear No Evil, in which a rich man's brain is transplanted into his secretary's body and hilarity ensues. Dickinson's teenage protagonist wakes up to find that to save her life, her parents have transplanted her mind into the body of one of her father's experimental chimpanzees, in a near future world which is facing environmental disaster. She is caught up in the wider politics of what has happened to her, the actual ethics of the operation (and of repeating it) and the intersection of financial and political interests in what happens to the chimpanzees as the research money runs out, and has to find her own way between asserting her humanity and embracing her new chimpanzee nature, including sex and death. Some of it, of course, is a metaphor for growing up, but all of it is rather good, and I'm glad I followed up on this recommendation. ( )
  nwhyte | Oct 5, 2014 |
I first read this over 20 years ago and it's stuck with me ever since. It still has that same deep visceral impact. I suppose that's the mark of a great book. ( )
  bonreads | Jun 11, 2014 |
While it does take a degree of blind faith in the setting, as it is a bit outlandish, if you can extend that much there is a fair amount of satisfaction in this book.
The story itself is done without being too preachy on the subjects of how we play gods to the world around us and to each other without taking much responsibility for the results of those actions, but it does give a gentle nod to those themes.
There's also an underlying theme of how humanity is something that extends past human and at times is the last pace the trait can be found; between the lines the story is a bit harrowing when it comes to the fight Eva has to suffer in herself to pin down just what humanity really comes down to.
The ending was entirely what I wanted it to be, an ending and a beginning done tastefully; overall something I would come back to later on to read again. ( )
  zombiepuppy | Mar 4, 2014 |

Peter Dickinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Jane Goodall
Eva was lying on her back.
Quote removed as it contained spoiler

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440207665, Mass Market Paperback)

THIRTEEN-YEAR OLD EVA wakes up in the hospital unable to remember anything since the picnic on the beach. Her mother leans over the bed and begins to explain. A traffic accident, a long coma . . .

But there is something, Eva senses, that she’s not being told. There is a price she must pay to be alive at all. What have they done, with their amazing medical techniques, to save her?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

After a terrible accident, a young girl wakes up to discover that she has been given the body of a chimpanzee. The picnic on the beach is Eva's last memory. As she lies in the hospital bed while her mother explains about the accident and the coma, Eva senses there is something they are not telling her--a price she must pay to be alive.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,943,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible