Eva by Peter Dickinson

Eva (1988)

by Peter Dickinson

4642022,360 (3.58)33

I first read this over 20 years ago and it's stuck with me ever since. It still has that same deep visceral impact. I suppose that's the mark of a great book. ( )
  bonreads | Jun 11, 2014 |
While it does take a degree of blind faith in the setting, as it is a bit outlandish, if you can extend that much there is a fair amount of satisfaction in this book.
The story itself is done without being too preachy on the subjects of how we play gods to the world around us and to each other without taking much responsibility for the results of those actions, but it does give a gentle nod to those themes.
There's also an underlying theme of how humanity is something that extends past human and at times is the last pace the trait can be found; between the lines the story is a bit harrowing when it comes to the fight Eva has to suffer in herself to pin down just what humanity really comes down to.
The ending was entirely what I wanted it to be, an ending and a beginning done tastefully; overall something I would come back to later on to read again. ( )
  zombiepuppy | Mar 4, 2014 |
This is an odd case of liking the book for the world rather than the plot. I didn't care for the characters or the plot at all, but I thought the concept of a humanity quietly destroying itself was fascinating.
  Melanti | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is a YA science fiction novel. In Dickinson's future most of Earth's animals are extinct, Eva's father works with some of the few surviving chimpanzee's and after a tragic traffic accident Eva is a guinea pig in an experiment to transfer her memories and self into another body.

This is at least partly a novel looking at what it means to be human and whether human life is more "precious" than that of the other creatures that inhabit the Earth. I did find the story a bit simplistic for my tastes but I'm sure the target audience will get more out of it. I did like the character of Eva but most of the other characters are not as well-fleshed out, in my opinion. An interesting and thought provoking idea that I am pleased to have read. ( )
  calm | May 18, 2012 |
A story of a young girl, Eva, who awakens from a coma after a terrible car accident, to discover that her mind, has been transplanted into the body of a female chimpanzee. Eva’s body was so seriously damaged that the only way doctors can save her life is to do surgery and transplant her mind into the body of Kelly, a chimpanzee.
When Eva wakes up in the hospital bed, she can’t move and can only watch the shaper, a futuristic TV, or look out the window. She had to learn how to use the chimp’s body to move and communicate with other chimps.
Eva’s father is a research scientist of captive chimps with whom Eva was raised and grew up. Her operation and recovery were sponsored by a manufacturer of commercial products, in a way exploiting her to advertise their products.
As Eva recovers and adjusts to her new life, she begins to identify with the chimpanzees, leading her to resist her handlers, her parents and manufacturers, for greater autonomy for herself and her fellow chimps.
REVIEW
Peter Dickinson takes us to a fascinating journey of a young girl, told through the eyes of Eva, the main character. The plot is set in the future, in a world where scientists have highly advanced technology
The relationship between humanity and nature, destructive exploitation of animals, are the primary themes of the book. It raises all kinds of existential issues. Issues about animal rights, and our responsibilities to nature and the environment.
The author reveals the plot of the story slowly, focusing more on the relationships and the feelings of Eva. An unbelievable but thought-provoking book in today’s world of cloning and organ transplants. A good book to stimulate discussion of medical ethics, animal rights, euthanasia, and the influence of media.

AWARDS
Boston Globe-Horn Award for Outstanding Book, 1989
Phoenix Award in 2008
Pacific Northern Library Association for Young Reader’s Choice Award ( )
  ydestura | Apr 6, 2012 |

Peter Dickinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woods, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Jane Goodall
Eva was lying on her back.
Quote removed as it contained spoiler

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440207665, Mass Market Paperback)

THIRTEEN-YEAR OLD EVA wakes up in the hospital unable to remember anything since the picnic on the beach. Her mother leans over the bed and begins to explain. A traffic accident, a long coma . . .

But there is something, Eva senses, that she’s not being told. There is a price she must pay to be alive at all. What have they done, with their amazing medical techniques, to save her?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:24 -0400)

After a terrible accident, a young girl wakes up to discover that she has been given the body of a chimpanzee. The picnic on the beach is Eva's last memory. As she lies in the hospital bed while her mother explains about the accident and the coma, Eva senses there is something they are not telling her--a price she must pay to be alive.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,348,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible