Mimi by Lucy Ellmann

Collections:Read in 2012, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:home, r2012, LTER

Mimi by Lucy Ellmann

I’ve never read a book by Lucy Ellmann prior to Mimi, and man, do I feel bad about it! If Mimi is anything to go by, Ellmann writes with so much emotion that I’m sure copies dance around the shelves on their own! This book is chock-a-block bursting with feelings – all feelings ranging from ecstatically, insanely happy to the shattered emptiness of loss. Mimi moved me to the point where I was starting to reflect the protagonist (Harrison Hanafan) in his feelings.

Harrison is a plastic surgeon, but different to any of the stereotypes you may link with his profession. He’s the type of man who feels everything that’s going on – a sensitive soul. He doesn’t particularly like the shallow nature of his job, but he’s the type of person to rescue a stray cat on a snowy street and take it home. He loves cartoons, music and has a Melancholy List of things that make him feel that way. Perhaps a little eccentric, but truly a nice guy.

On Christmas Eve, Harrison trips and starts sliding down the icy street. His fall is broken by a woman who picks him up and puts him in a taxi. That woman is Mimi and over the year that follows, they will meet again as life takes them on impossible journeys from love to loss and passion.

Passion is a good word to describe Mimi. Ellmann writes wholeheartedly and it’s also clear that she has done a lot of research. There must have also been a lot of planning involved in taking Harrison to the extreme emotions and situations. I certainly didn’t foresee the contents of the speech he makes to his former high school! I liked the way that Harrison was a whole person, not just his job – his love of music, fear of public speaking and completely susceptible to falling in love.

The book also covers some serious topics – incest, murder and feminism. Feminism tends to creep up and then take over the last part of the book. There’s a whole section in the appendix (how cool that a fiction book has an appendix!) covering Harrison’s thoughts on this matter. His ideas were a little too out there for me in places, but I enjoyed his passion for the subject.

Overall, I adored the way this book took me on a ride of feelings as crazy as any roller coaster. I’d definitely read more from Lucy Ellmann!

Thank you to Bloomsbury Sydney for the review copy.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Jun 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was very disappointed in this book . The lead male character was a pretentious jerk and where the female lead is concerned , someone should tell the author that vulgar cursing does not translate as free-spiritedness . The constant inserting of lists at first was interesting , but became grating . Made it through the first 100 pages then decided to give up and start skimming until I finished . Won't be recommending this to anyone . ( )
  AquariusNat | Feb 21, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was just 'meh' for me. Except for occasional bits, it didn't hold my attention all that well and having come from reading a really great book to having to plough through this was a stark disappointment. I found myself getting annoyed at the characters. I wouldn't recommend this one.
  Myckyee | Jan 27, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
On the surface, this is the story of an eminent plastic surgeon and a free-spirited woman who meet cute (twice) and embark on a whirlwind love affair. Scratch the surface and one finds a lonely man who has become disillusioned with nearly everything - a man who keeps lists of melancholia, the faults of others, and so on. The book is written in a quirky comical style - the wise cracks are fast and furious as the author explores relationships of all sorts and how they shape us along with a strong feminism message. I think the book is interesting and would make a good book club selection - there are many themes to explore and discuss here as these eccentric characters stumble along the path to happiness. ( )
  Jazzmin52 | Dec 16, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked that these characters were flawed and quirky...more like real life than some of the polished characters we see in novels. Nevertheless, the writing was often repetitive and circular. I think Ellmann was going for a particular, artsy kind of style, but it was a bit tedious at times for me. I didn't dislike this book. I actually mostly enjoyed it, but it wasn't as good as it could have been.
  checkadawson | Dec 14, 2012 |

It's Christmas Eve in Manhattan. An eminent plastic surgeon slips on the ice, lands on his butt, and sprains his ankle. So far, so good. A woman such as he's never known yanks him to his feet and conjures the miracle of a taxi. Harrison recuperates with Franz Schubert, Bette Davis, and a foundling cat. Then it's back to rhinoplasties, liposuction, and the peccadilloes of his obnoxious colleagues. It is only when he collides again with that strangely helpful woman that things take a wild and revolutionary turn.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mimi by Lucy Ellmann was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,713,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible