dismiss

Being Santa Claus: What I Learned about the…

Being Santa Claus: What I Learned about the True Meaning of Christmas

A veteran Santa reveals heartwarming true stories and lessons from his twenty-year career spreading Christmas magic. With the holiday shopping season beginning earlier each year, more than ever.  Americans are struggling to remember the true meaning of Christmas. And who better to deliver the gift of Christmas inspiration than a man who has spent the last two decades playing Santa? Sal Lizard was in his twenties when his beard and hair turned completely white.  Today he appears everywhere from malls and parades to schools and hospitals. And-- from his custom-made red velvet suits to the mistletoe that hangs from the rearview mirror in his Santa-mobile--he is Santa Claus three hundred and sixty-five days a year.  In Being Santa Claus Sal reflects on his experiences with both children and adults including: Christmas magic is all around us: We don't always see it, but it is there, shaping and enriching our lives. Sometimes you need to go that extra mile:Santa Claus is the one person who can't even use a blizzard as an excuse not to honor his commitments, and Sal teaches adults the importance of always showing up for our children. Even a small child can make a big difference:  Sal has met some impressive children over the years, and he's learned that you don't need to be a grown-up to make an impact on the world around you. In Being Santa Claus Sal shares these lessons, along with often heartwarming, occasionally heartbreaking, and sometimes downright hysterical stories from his twenty-year career as Santa.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
From an early age (his 20s) Sal Lizard started to resemble one of the most beloved figures in history. He had the white hair and beard and decided to add the red suit, when asked by a friend for a favor. He went on for years playing a most admirable and recognizable Santa Claus - even in Bermuda shorts and sandals.

He slowly discovered the true meaning of Christmas throughout his many years as Santa, even when he himself was beginning to doubt. He found that is is the spirit of the people, the love that that bring to each other - that he could bring to them.

He played the ubiquitous mall Santa, he went into people's homes, he did parties and pajama visits. His hardest was going into hospitals - but he did and came away different.

He loved what he did and it showed. He would get down on the floor and play with an upset child. He always has a candy cane to give out - even in July.

I was offered this book as an Early Reviewer in 2012 and I "won" a copy but it got lost in the mail and never arrived. I bought it this year and it was well worth the wait. It is a thoughtful and wonderful read and made me think again what Christmas really means - not just what is seen by all, but what is unseen unless we bring it out for all to enjoy. ( )
  koalamom | Dec 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was pretty enjoyable to read. Sal plays Santa all year, but of course, most of his experiences center around Christmas. He is a very likable guy, and the stories he shared were heartwarming. I don't think we share the same idea of what the true meaning of Christmas is, but nevertheless, I would recommend it as a cheerful book to read around Christmastime. ( )
  itbgc | Jan 7, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While Christmas is one of my favorite holidays during the year, I've been feeling more "humbug" than "hospitable." Needless to say, I needed to find something to help me feel the joyous spirit of Christmas again. "Being Santa Claus" did just that. Hearing the heart-warming and sometimes heart-breaking tales from "Santa's" perspective helped me to gain the happiness that is normally present during this time of year. Sal's tales of helping out a radio station early in his career and how he adjusted his lifestyle as a result of asking WWSD (What Would Santa Do?) had me thinking about the own changes I've made in my life. I cried at the hospital as Santa visited the young patients, and I giggled when he would wink and give kids candy canes throughout the year to continue the mystery. If you want your heart to be warmed, you'll definitely want to pick up this book--even if it isn't Christmastime! ( )
  DynamicUno | Dec 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A great book of Christmas tales to read every Christmas season. One that could be enjoyed by all! ( )
  larestout | Dec 20, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Reading this memior was a great way to start off the holidays...however...I found myself feeling a bit melancholy at times. The author must be around my age, he brought back to me memories of my childhood Christmas celebrations as well as the ones with my own children, Times are so different now and Christmas was so much more significant then. I know my grandchildren will not have the same kind of memories. We just cannot stop the swift departure of years or freeze anything in time so the new generations can share the same joys that we felt...that said, I wish I could sit on this author's lap and tell him my Christmas dreams today...I just know he would work some magic for me. He has definantly personified the frequent advice to choose a career by working at what you love. Like the man he chooses to become each holiday season, he deserves a St before his name. Read about his experiences , be inspired and pass the spirit along. ( )
  madforbooks | Dec 19, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book Being Santa Claus was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,526,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible