Being Santa Claus: What I Learned about the…

Being Santa Claus: What I Learned about the True Meaning of Christmas

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
From an early age (his 20s) Sal Lizard started to resemble one of the most beloved figures in history. He had the white hair and beard and decided to add the red suit, when asked by a friend for a favor. He went on for years playing a most admirable and recognizable Santa Claus - even in Bermuda shorts and sandals.

He slowly discovered the true meaning of Christmas throughout his many years as Santa, even when he himself was beginning to doubt. He found that is is the spirit of the people, the love that that bring to each other - that he could bring to them.

He played the ubiquitous mall Santa, he went into people's homes, he did parties and pajama visits. His hardest was going into hospitals - but he did and came away different.

He loved what he did and it showed. He would get down on the floor and play with an upset child. He always has a candy cane to give out - even in July.

I was offered this book as an Early Reviewer in 2012 and I "won" a copy but it got lost in the mail and never arrived. I bought it this year and it was well worth the wait. It is a thoughtful and wonderful read and made me think again what Christmas really means - not just what is seen by all, but what is unseen unless we bring it out for all to enjoy. ( )
  koalamom | Dec 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was pretty enjoyable to read. Sal plays Santa all year, but of course, most of his experiences center around Christmas. He is a very likable guy, and the stories he shared were heartwarming. I don't think we share the same idea of what the true meaning of Christmas is, but nevertheless, I would recommend it as a cheerful book to read around Christmastime. ( )
  itbgc | Jan 7, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While Christmas is one of my favorite holidays during the year, I've been feeling more "humbug" than "hospitable." Needless to say, I needed to find something to help me feel the joyous spirit of Christmas again. "Being Santa Claus" did just that. Hearing the heart-warming and sometimes heart-breaking tales from "Santa's" perspective helped me to gain the happiness that is normally present during this time of year. Sal's tales of helping out a radio station early in his career and how he adjusted his lifestyle as a result of asking WWSD (What Would Santa Do?) had me thinking about the own changes I've made in my life. I cried at the hospital as Santa visited the young patients, and I giggled when he would wink and give kids candy canes throughout the year to continue the mystery. If you want your heart to be warmed, you'll definitely want to pick up this book--even if it isn't Christmastime! ( )
  DynamicUno | Dec 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A great book of Christmas tales to read every Christmas season. One that could be enjoyed by all! ( )
  larestout | Dec 20, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Reading this memior was a great way to start off the holidays...however...I found myself feeling a bit melancholy at times. The author must be around my age, he brought back to me memories of my childhood Christmas celebrations as well as the ones with my own children, Times are so different now and Christmas was so much more significant then. I know my grandchildren will not have the same kind of memories. We just cannot stop the swift departure of years or freeze anything in time so the new generations can share the same joys that we felt...that said, I wish I could sit on this author's lap and tell him my Christmas dreams today...I just know he would work some magic for me. He has definantly personified the frequent advice to choose a career by working at what you love. Like the man he chooses to become each holiday season, he deserves a St before his name. Read about his experiences , be inspired and pass the spirit along. ( )
  madforbooks | Dec 19, 2012 |

Who better to talk about the meaning of Christmas than the guy in the red suit, himself? Sal Lizard, who played Santa Claus since his twenties, shares true anecdotes that reveal just how important it is to realize the magic of Christmas year-round. He also emphasizes the importance of doing anything to make a wish come true. Sal provides lessons for both kids and adults.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book Being Santa Claus was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible