Terovolas by Edward M. Erdelac

Authors:Edward M. Erdelac
Info:JournalStone (2012), Paperback, 234 pages

Terovolas by Edward M. Erdelac

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've been a fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula for a bit more than thirty years, so the idea of following Van Helsing to the United States was intriguing. The author was obviously trying to follow in Mr. Stoker's footsteps with journal excerpts, letters, and newspaper clippings, but I never got quite the same sense of urgency from Mr. Erdelac's work as from Mr. Stoker's. ( )
  moniqueleigh | Feb 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I never really thought about what happened to Van Helsing after the events of "Dracula". He went out west to Texas!! this is the story of what he finds there. I enjoyed the book and recommend it as a very good read.
  amy1705 | Aug 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Terovolas is one of the books that fits into the ever-expanding genre of "What happens after the events in that really famous book?". In this case, Van Helsing leaves Europe after the events in Dracula for the Wild West. That premise was so bizarre, I knew I just had to read it!
It's got a bit of everything in it- the supernatural horror you would expect from a Dracula continuation, and all the tropes you'd expect to find in a western. With a mountain lion (maybe?) mauling local cattle, Van Helsing teams up with (among others) a disreputable horse trader and an Indian shaman to discover what is really going on.
It was written in the same style as Dracula, told through letters, journals, and articles... and somehow feels like it was written in the 19th century.
Definitely an enjoyable read. ( )
  Radella | Aug 15, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed Terovolas. It's kind of a continuation of the story of Prof. Van Helsing from Bram Stoker's Dracula. A "what if Van Helsing went to Texas and encountered something uncanny there.

Told in epistolary style like Dracula. ( )
  sumik | Jul 18, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Texas and werewolves and Norse gods, oh my. This was a really strange books. The character of Abraham Van Helsing is already well-known from Dracula. When he goes to return the ashes of Quincey Morris, he becomes part of another paranormal adventure.

This book is a collection of journal entries and newspaper articles. I'm a fan of epistolary fiction, and I liked how it was used in this novel. It was a great way to know the inner workings of all the characters and honestly, I found myself sympathizing with nearly all of them. The mythology is presented in a really unique way, and I was really glad that it didn't overwhelm the plot or bore the reader with details.

I would classify this as another successful book from Journalstone Publishing. If you were a fan of Dracula, then the continuation of Van Helsing's adventures will be a good read. ( )
  jadestar31 | Jun 25, 2013 |
For Adonai and my family.
I first met Professor Abraham Van Helsing in Natal in 1877 while doctoring for the army.

Texas, 1891 Following the defeat of Count Dracula, Abraham Van Helsing – suffering from violent recurring fantasies – checks himself into Jack Seward’s Purfleet Asylum. Once discharged, he volunteers to return the ashes and personal effects of the late Quincey P. Morris (the American adventurer who died in battle with the nefarious Count) home to the Morris family ranch in Sorefoot, Texas.

Van Helsing arrives to find Quincey’s brother, Cole Morris, embroiled in an escalating land dispute with a group of neighboring Norwegian ranchers led by the enigmatic Sig Skoll. When cattle and men start turning up slaughtered, the locals suspect a wild animal, but Van Helsing thinks a preternatural culprit is afoot. Is a shapeshifter stalking the Texas plains, or are the phantasms of his previously disordered mind returning?

The intrepid professor must decide soon, for the life of Skoll’s beautiful new bride may hang in the balance.

Description courtesy of Author's website

The personal papers of the enigmatic Professor Abraham Van Helsing are collected and presented for the first time by his longtime colleague and defender, Dr. John Seward. Texas, 1891 Following the defeat of Count Dracula, Abraham Van Helsing - suffering from violent recurring fantasies - checks himself into Jack Seward's Purfleet Asylum. Once discharged, he volunteers to return the ashes and personal effects of the late Quincey P. Morris (the American adventurer who died in battle with the nefarious Count) home to the Morris family ranch in Sorefoot, Texas. Van Helsing arrives to find Quincey's brother, Cole Morris, embroiled in an escalating land dispute with a group of neighboring Norwegian ranchers led by the enigmatic Sig Skoll. When cattle and men start turning up slaughtered, the locals suspect a wild animal, but Van Helsing thinks a preternatural culprit is afoot. Is a shapeshifter stalking the Texas plains, or are the phantasms of his previously disordered mind returning? The intrepid professor must decide soon, for the life of Skoll's beautiful new bride may hang in the balance.… (more)

Edward M. Erdelac is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Terovolas by Edward M. Erdelac was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,920,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible