Grace: A Memoir by Grace Coddington

Grace: A Memoir (edition 2012)

by Grace Coddington

Rating:**
Tags:Memoir, British, ERC

Grace: A Memoir by Grace Coddington

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Grace Coddington was a fashion model in the 1960s, appearing in Vogue and other magazines. When she was 28, she moved to the behind the scenes side of fashion magazines and became a junior editor at British Vogue, later moving to photo editor. After a brief stint with Calvin Klein, she became creative director of American Vogue. Her whole life has been about fashion and photography. Along the way, she’s met and worked with many of the greats of fashion. Given my fascination with the subject, I thought I’d love this book.

The book, sadly, is merely ‘okay’. It’s flat, told in a ‘and then I’ format that brings to mine youthful ‘what I did on my summer vacation’ writings. Grace admits that she’s only read two books in her life (although obviously she’s had to have read hundreds of magazines in her work life), so it’s no surprise that she doesn’t have a fluent writing style. If you’re interested in the fashion world, you’ll like this book despite the lack of flow. Just to know who was doing what when is kind of interesting.

The most fascinating part of the book, to me, was that I finally know the why behind photo spreads in fashion magazines that barely show the clothing and are sometimes down right surrealistic. The spreads are art, not a catalog, and they have themes that have nothing to do with the clothing shown. Exciting to look at, they draw the reader into the *idea* of the clothing.

The book has many photographs, and is illustrated with Grace’s cute little drawings. ( )
  dark_phoenix54 | Jan 12, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was really excited to read this book after seeing The September Issue. The book contains a lot of interesting material, but unfortunately Grace Coddington is not as strong a writer as she is a fashion editor. Her stories are a bit disjointed and meandering and not as fascinating as I had hoped. Still, all considered, I recommend this book for anyone who is interested in fashion and the inner workings of it over the past few decades. ( )
  jazzyereader | Dec 7, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Grace" takes fashion and the industry to a level I couldn't even relate to. I thought it might be insightful, and sort of an eye-opening look at the real life of being a model. However, unless you are a model, designer or someone actually in the industry, I'm not sure anyone would find this book of any interest at all. There is so much name-dropping, some that I recognize(d), but mostly people I've never heard of, that take themselves way too serious.

The author kept referencing the movie she and other self-important designers made--a little indie film--The September Issue, which I rented from Netflix. I thought that might prompt me to finish the next couple hundred pages of "Grace." Wow, Grace did not age well; sort of scary really. There are too many important things going on in the world today for me to really buy into this ridiculousness. Even her own daughter plans to stay as far away from it as possible.

Seriously, these people have more issues than Vogue. ( )
  LJBooks | Jun 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a wonderfully surprising and fascinating book! I knew of Grace Coddington from The September Issue (of course) and was so interested in her as a person - I can't tell you how excited I was to receive this through the LTER program! Filled with sketches, photographs, and the kind of fun, swinging times that I only imagined happened, it seemed like she could have kept writing about her life (even though this is certainly long enough)! Her time growing up on a small island, her whirlwind modeling career, life in London, various marriages, dealing with life after her horrific car accident, moving all around the world... I was swept away by Grace's life and story. Recommended for fans of the fashion world, memoirs, and interesting life stories! ( )
  LauraBrook | May 28, 2013 |
Entertaining memoir of Grace Coddington. Don't know what I loved more. Her recollections of her youth as a young '60's model in London, sporting Vidal Sassoon cuts, flitting to France and out-twigging Twiggy. Her transformation after a disfiguring car accident from model to fashion editor. Her move to New York and American Vogue. Like many, I was intrigued by watching her in 'The September Issue' which led to this book. I wish there was more about the creative impetus/act/instinct. Coddington does not disappoint those looking for dish on the fashion world. ( )
  michigantrumpet | May 16, 2013 |

Beautiful. Willful. Charming. Blunt. Grace Coddington’s extraordinary talent and fierce dedication to her work as creative director of Vogue have made her an international icon. Known through much of her career only to those behind the scenes, she might have remained fashion’s best-kept secret were it not for The September Issue, the acclaimed 2009 documentary that turned publicity-averse Grace into a sudden, reluctant celebrity. Grace’s palpable engagement with her work brought a rare insight into the passion that produces many of the magazine’s most memorable shoots.

With the witty, forthright voice that has endeared her to her colleagues and peers for more than forty years, Grace now creatively directs the reader through the storied narrative of her life so far. Evoking the time when models had to tote their own bags and props to shoots, Grace describes her early career as a model, working with such world-class photographers as David Bailey and Norman Parkinson, before she stepped behind the camera to become a fashion editor at British Vogue in the late 1960s. Here she began creating the fantasy “travelogues” that would become her trademark. In 1988 she joined American Vogue, where her breathtakingly romantic and imaginative fashion features, a sampling of which appear in this book, have become instant classics.

Delightfully underscored by Grace’s pen-and-ink illustrations, Grace will introduce readers to the colorful designers, hairstylists, makeup artists, photographers, models, and celebrities with whom Grace has created her signature images. Grace reveals her private world with equal candor—the car accident that almost derailed her modeling career, her two marriages, the untimely death of her sister, Rosemary, her friendship with Harper’s Bazaar editor-in-chief Liz Tilberis, and her thirty-year romance with Didier Malige. Finally, Grace describes her abiding relationship with Anna Wintour, and the evolving mastery by which she has come to define the height of fashion.

“If Wintour is the Pope . . . Coddington is Michelangelo, trying to paint a fresh version of the Sistine Chapel twelve times a year.”—Time

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:18 -0400)

An influential creative director of American "Vogue" magazine traces her decades in the fashion industry, recounting her early years as a model under the tutelage of Norman Parkinson, unexpected rise to fame, and associations with numerous fashion luminaries.… (more)

26 wanted3 pay4 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Grace by Grace Coddington was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible