The Silvered by Tanya Huff

The Silvered (edition 2012)

by Tanya Huff

Member:Ennas
Title:The Silvered
Authors:Tanya Huff
Info:DAW Hardcover (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebooks, 2012
Rating:***
Tags:read, read in 2012, fantasy, shapeshifters, wolven, magic, soldaten, standalone

The Silvered by Tanya Huff

Recently added bysraedi, amberwitch, private library, DianneAstle, Glennis.LeBlanc, cafuchsman, meow9th, Dragonfly
    Diplomacy of Wolves by Holly Lisle (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both epic quest fantasy, with endangered wolves, rogue mages, culture clash across national boundaries, war, moustache twirling villains and elaborately builtup worlds. The wolf cultures are not the same - Lisle is mostly about dynastic infighting and Huff is interested in pack life and how that would make sentience different.… (more)

Excellent beginning! Where does loyalty begin and end? For Reiter, does loyalty trump doing right? Mirian and Tomas start to grow a new (old?) kind of pack. What is the price you will pay for power? Your sanity, your sight? How far will you go to be free? ( )
  bgknighton | Dec 27, 2013 |
This is the Napoleonic werewolves story that Huff was hinting about in her LJ. Technological war comes to the country that's relied on werewolves and mages working on concert, and they can't stand against silver bullets. Five mages are captured and are being raced to the emperor, and the only ones left to go after them are the brother of the dead Pack leader and a first level mage. Marian is an awesome heroine, cranky about her feet hurting and her clothes getting ruined, but practicle about trading for clogs and stealing peasant clothes when necessary. She grows into her powers by necessity and we get a lesson in the magical history of the world as we go along. My only complaint is that the voices of Marian and Danika, the head of the captured mages, were so similar that at one point it took me two paragraphs to figure out who was telling her story (probably because both are very strong women and they were both captured at that point). The horrors of war aren't brushed over, especially as we see one Imperial soldier waking up to just what his country is doing. ( )
  silentq | Sep 23, 2013 |
Tanya Huff is on the short list of authors I now buy in hardcover because I have acquired their entire back catalog used and now I feel vaguely guilty. I am not sad at all to have jumped on this one.

It's a werewolf fantasy novel with steampunkish overtones - the evil Empire is in the throes of an industrial revolution - and as sick as I am of the standard urban fantasy werewolves, these are not those and they work very well in an action-adventure context. Huff always writes excellent female characters, and the gradual reveal of just how villainous the villain is works very well.

The other thing I particularly liked is that unlike recent reading of mine, the soldiers of the evil Empire are given equal viewpoint time, and are portrayed sympathetically enough that while they start out as unequivocal antagonists, by the end I'm totally on board with the Captain as one of the heroes.

(I think it's interesting that unless I'm misreading it, the male protagonist's romantic relationship at the beginning of the book is never quite stated - perhaps this is an attempt to get around the "gay relationships always end in death" trope? If so, I think it's unnecessary - it doesn't have any of the other elements of that trope, it adds a welcome element to what otherwise seems to be an aggressively hetero society, and the one explicit gay relationship is adorable.) ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
Lovely. A great new world - fantasy medieval, with one polity beginning to use science/technology. A fascinating variant on werewolves - a lot of the standard tropes, but no connection to the moon (not sure whether there's a moon on that world, actually - I don't think it's mentioned, even in terms of having light at night). An excellent bit of culture clash, as the actual setup of the werewolf polity - the Pack and its nation - contrasts with what the Empire understands about them. And of course - this is a Huff, after all - excellent characterization, vivid description, and an exciting and reasonable sequence of events. There's clearly another story or two that could be told - the Silvered have just begun, and the last chapters give some hints about what they've begun - but I don't know if it will actually be written. Things could also stop here, just fine. Excellent book, and definitely one I want to own and reread regularly. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Mar 7, 2013 |
An interesting take on werewolves, and on mages, wrapped up in an absorbing story with well-rounded characters, including a sensible, independent-minded young woman. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jan 12, 2013 |

Tanya Huffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
G-Force DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Glover, ElizabethDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The Empire has declared war on the small, were-ruled kingdom of Aydori, capturing five women of the Mage-pack, including the wife of the were pack-leader. With the pack off defending the border, it falls to Mirian Maylin and Tomas Hagen--she a low-level mage, he younger brother to the pack-leader--to save them.… (more)

29 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,648,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible