The First Day of School by Patricia Relf

The First Day of School

by Patricia Relf

I liked the book "The First Day of School" by Patricia Relf. The characters and the illustrations contributed greatly to the success of this book. The main character, Hannah, is originally excited for her first day of school, but does not like it when she first arrives. I believe that readers can relate to this character and make connections to their own lives. Additionally, the illustrations help tell about Hannah's day and how she feels isolated from the class. They show her sitting all the way at the end of the piano bench and standing outside of the circle game. The big idea of this book is that the first day of school can be hard, but you need to give it a try before getting upset.
  may_tay_kay | Feb 22, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was very good for an interactive read aloud and very relatable to children because they all go through the scare of the first day of school and having to try and fit in by making new friends. I think reading this first thing on the first day of school to a kindergarten class would be a very good way to comfort them. ( )
  nicole.emanuele | Nov 23, 2015 |
This book was very cute and fun and shows the everyday struggles younger children face when they have to go to their first day of school. The pictures were very illustrative. There was a lot of negativity, but could help younger students with their adjustment of school, reassuring them that they are not alone. ( )
  Mwick | Nov 10, 2015 |
I have mixed feelings about the book “The First Day of School” by Patricia Relf. While I think it is a great book to read to Kindergarteners on their first day of school, I think that there was too much negativity. The book is definitely relatable to young students in parts of the books. “Elizabeth couldn’t wait to join the class.” In other parts of the book the author shows a lot of negativity that may upset some students. “There was barely room for Elizabeth. She tried to sing, but she felt like crying.” This may make students upset along with the quote, “She wished she could go home.” While this book has a few good parts, I would not incorporate it into my classroom. The main idea of this story is about a students first day of school and how she adjusts. ( )
  rschin1 | Mar 13, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307619575, Hardcover)

Elizabeth looks forward to the first day of school, but when she gets there she wants to go home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:50 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,016,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible