Geography III by Elizabeth Bishop

Geography III (1976)

by Elizabeth Bishop

My feelings are bit skewed, I think, since i read the first half of the book a few weeks ago, and just finished the second half. 'In the Waiting Room' is great, no doubt about it, and Crusoe in England too. The rest of the book? Meh. I suspect that all the deep interpretations of these poems are more about the reader than the poet, and to be honest, whatever it is that I go to poetry for, Bishop doesn't give it to me. The poems are very pretty, no doubt, and have intellectual heft. I'm not sure what they lack- maybe an appropriate level of (British style) irony? Maybe my problem is rather what's in them: descriptions of art-works, descriptions of mildly surrealistic landscapes (or maybe 'landscapes'). I read a review which praised Bishop's 'sense of place,' and that might sum it up. Lacking much of a sense of place myself, I can't recognize it in others. So it's all my fault that I'm not into Bishop, but I think I can live with it. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
Interesting poems, long for Bishop. It's a short collection, but the focus on space/geography is interesting. For anyone who enjoyed the story of Robinson Crusoe, there's a great poem based on him as well. Overall, worth a read. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Nov 13, 2008 |
Elizabeth Bishop, I love you! My favorite poem in this collection: "In the Waiting Room". ( )
  jayceebee | Feb 16, 2006 |

Geography III, Bishop's final book of poems, first appaered in 1976. It contains such masterpieces as "In the Waiting Room," "The Moose," and "One Art."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:06 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,945,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible