Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril: Lunch…

Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril: Lunch Lady #8 (2012)

by Jarrett J. Krosoczka

2012 (2) @correct cover (1) action (1) American Author (1) B (1) boys (1) CF (1) comic books (1) editing (1) F (1) fashion (1) fiction (4) food (1) funny (1) GN (2) graphic novel (12) hero (1) heroine (1) humor (3) juvenile (1) kids (1) lunch lady (4) middle grade (1) paperback (1) school (1) series (1) students (1) YA (1) youth (2) Youth Fiction (1)

PSC REVIEWWhen kids start breaking out in zits on picture day, a student council member accuses Lunch Lady of serving unhealthy food. Lunch Lady is outraged. She only serves healthy food. She and her sidekick in the lunchroom, Betty, decide to investigate. They discover the culprit is the photographer who has been making extra money by airbrushing the zits out of the picture. And not only that, he’s trying to get some of the kids into fashion modeling. And it’s SUPER LUNCH LADY to the rescue. Complete with karate chops and nunchucks, she and Betty take on the evil photographer. Krosozka knows kids and he understands grade school humor. Lunch Lady has a lot of eager fans in my school who are thrilled Lunch Lady’s out there saving elementary kids. This is a must have graphic novel series for the elementary school. ( )
  brangwinn | Dec 5, 2012 |
Summary: This graphic novel is about school children preparing to get their school pictures taken. A famous photographer comes to the school to take their pictures. She ends up charging students more to cover their zits in the pictures and she even coaxes a girl to give her $1000 to become a model. Once the lady is done taking the rest of the pictures, she leaves with everyone's money and no one hears from her. The lunch lady ends up being a super hero and gets all of the student's money back.

Comments: This graphic novel would be a good novel for students who are at an intermediate level. It's not too easy or too lengthy and hard. I think it would be a great book before getting to lengthier graphic novels.
  LMaddux31 | Dec 2, 2012 |
Holy jalapenos! How have I never heard of Jarrett J. Krosoczka's Lunch Lady graphic novel series before?!? After all, Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril is already #8 in the series. I've seriously been missing out, but I can only hope that the rest of you MG readers, parents, and educators out there weren't as ignorant!

I've never been much for comics and graphic novels centered around superheroes, but Lunch Lady is a whole different story. I have very fond memories of my own childhood lunch ladies and I had fun imagining them as Lunch Lady and her sidekick, Betty, routinely rushing to the aid of students and solving silly mysteries. I definitely would have had fun reading about this superhero as a kid. On a side note, I found Betty's weakness for gossip magazines hilarious!

I loved that the kids in the novel were both proactive and smart. They often chimed in with witty remarks and interesting ideas. For me, the children were quite realistic. They made mistakes (sometimes big ones) and were sometimes clique-y, but they always set aside their differences when it mattered.

One of my favorite characteristics of the Lunch Lady series is how seriously clever and funny it is. Lunch Lady's conversation is always peppered with references to cooking and her gadgets are linked to the culinary as well. You may very well have a Whisk Whacker and Fish Stick Nunchucks in your very own kitchen!

I've only read one book in the Lunch Lady series and I'm already in love. I sincerely hope school libraries are carrying Krosoczka's fantastic series and kids are falling for Lunch Lady, Betty, and their students as well! ( )
  thehidingspot | Oct 10, 2012 |

It's picture day at Thompson Brook, but the students are plagued by a freak acne epidemic. While the Breakfast Bunch scrambles to put their best faces forward, their hifalutin photographer raises Lunch Lady's eyebrows. She suspects the photographer may have an underhanded plan to break into the world of high fashion that puts the students in danger! Will Lunch Lady be able to storm the runway and stop the vogue rogue without blowing her cover?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:16 -0400)

When eccentric photographer Stefani DePino comes to Thompson Brook to take school pictures in the midst of an acne epidemic, Lunch Lady, Betty, and the Breakfast Bunch learn that Stefani is using them to break into the world of high fashion.

Jarrett J. Krosoczka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Jarrett J. Krosoczka chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 17, 2009 to Aug 28, 2009. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,330,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible