Dandy by Jan Guillou

Dandy (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Jan Guillou

Member:dancey
Title:Dandy
Authors:Jan Guillou
Info:
Tags:fiction

Dandy by Jan Guillou (2013)

English (3)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
This is a sequel to Brobyggarna, but set at the same time: where Brobyggarna followed Lauritz back to Norway and Oscar to German East Africa, Dandy takes the youngest brother Sverre to England to live with his lover, Lord Albert. As newly-graduated engineers they have big plans to become agents of change and modernisation, but as time passes that change seems to be slower and harder than they thought. Life with Albie does give Sverre the opportunity to pursue his art more seriously.

Alongside all this, there's a take on Oscar Wilde and his trial, as well as characters becoming involved with the Bloombury circle.

At the end, the overwhelming sense of Sverre's life (even if he and his brothers appear to be on the brink of getting to do new big things) covered in this book seemed to be two lost decades. I'm curious about the next part to the series, and obviously kicking myself for not buying it this summer (I even had it in my hand in a bookshop, but the weight of my rucksack where it would have had to go was already killing me, so I firmly put it down again) because now it's either online orders or waiting until my next chance of visiting a bookshop selling Swedish paperbacks. ( )
  queen_ypolita | Aug 23, 2014 |
Når en lener seg mot størrelser som Oscar Wilde og Virginia Woolf, kan en ikke skrive i tidtrøyttestil og regne med at assosiasjonene disse navnene vekker skal smitte av på verket. Synd for Jan Guillou kan bedre. ( )
  Mikalina | Sep 10, 2013 |
Bogen er en fremragende beskrivelse af livet i begyndelsen af 1900-tallet i det dekadente England. Bogen er som sædvanligt fra Guillous hånd velskrevet. I forhold til første bog i serien synes jeg at slutningen af denne bliver en anelse fortænkt og ikke så let at komme under huden med. Jeg anbefaler den. ( )
  ulriklumborg | Mar 8, 2013 |
De belangrijkste reden dat Sverre zich niet bijzonder nerveus voelde, was dat Albie altijd heel vaag was geweest als hij over zijn huis in Wiltshire sprak.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,411,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible