Breaking Point (A Joe Pickett Novel) by C.…

Breaking Point (A Joe Pickett Novel) (edition 2014)

by C. J. Box (Author)

Joe Pickett investigates the disappearance of a local businessman, who recently had his intended retirement property declared wetlands and is suspected in the murder of two EPA employees.
Member:MarjorieB
Title:Breaking Point (A Joe Pickett Novel)
Authors:C. J. Box (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2014), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Breaking Point by C. J. Box

Force of Nature was the first CJ Box novel I'd read and I found it to be excellent so even though I'd started off at book 12 in the series I figured I'd continue along from there with Breaking Point.

Once again this is a complete book seemingly not punishing the reader for skipping earlier entries in the series, there's enough of a background for each character given to enjoy the storyline as it unfolds even if some deeper background for longer term readers may be absent. I can't say I felt like there was noticeably absent character depth that you do get in some series when you haven't read them all.

If there's one thing I took away from this book, it's that the author seemingly doesn't like the federal government's ever expanding powers, or does a very good job of portraying such feelings through his writing. You can't help but feel appalled at what happens to the character in the story at the hands of the federal bureaucracy. I thought the way things wrapped up at the end tied a nice knot in the plot points and overall found this to also be an excellent novel which I'd recommend. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Jul 2, 2019 |
I found this on the sale shelf at my local library and thought it looked interesting. I've not read any of the Joe Pickett stories that came before this one, and I will admit it is odd to jump in at book 13 (I didn't realize that when I bought it.) but I wasn't lost so the author does a good job of making the novel one that can stand alone.

I liked that this novel didn't have the seemingly-obligatory-to-the-genre sex scene(s). That's not to say that there aren't some "sins" represented. There's murder and extortion just to name a couple bad things.

I'm not overly familiar with Wyoming and the people who live there, but it seems fishy that someone would believe a verbal threat (supposedly from a government agency) with the threat of a large daily fine that wasn't backed up with paperwork. Apparently, the threat was enough to stop the Robersons for a year, but when the promised paperwork never showed, Butch Roberson went back to the land they planned to build a house on.

I still have no idea if Kim Love was in on the scandal and knew to stay away from the serving of the paperwork or suspected the wrongdoing and didn't want to be part of serving the compliance order or if he truly didn't feel well and just got lucky. (His character kind of disappears from the plot early on and is never heard from again.)

I like Joe Pickett. He seems to be a man who cares about his community and wants to uphold the laws, though he's willing to bend a little if there's a good reason behind it (such as poaching because you need food for your family vs. poaching just to get a trophy). He's got a decent relationship with his wife and family. I didn't like that he was pulled into the machinations of the federal troops.

Butch Roberson seems like a decent sort of man too in his own way. He's true to his wife and only wants to give her the house of her dreams in the location she desires. He loves his daughter (you'll see why I say this if you read the book.) He spares Farkus (though he allows the Feds to think he was killed). He even tries to save the former sheriff who'd hunted him down in the hopes of getting the reward and showing the townspeople he's the better choice for sheriff in the next election, when they're caught in the forest fire. I don't condone what he did, but by the end of the novel, I do understand it better. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 19, 2019 |
Clearly a rant against the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and a gone wild bureaucrat with abuse of power syndrome. As Dana Stabenow said: "No one born and raised west of the Mississippi River hasn't had a justifiable mad on at the federal government a time or two." Joe Pickett is on the side of the EPA as he goes out to find a guy who allegedly murdered a couple of their agents. It's all about the chase and the adventures that ensue. Great book, one of Box's best. Where's the next one, #14? ( )
  buffalogr | Feb 9, 2018 |
A fast paced yarn with good action. Since this is one in a series featuring the same primary character there is very little character development. Too much emphasis on a conspiracy theory for my taste. ( )
  labdaddy4 | Aug 17, 2017 |
When everyone is for himself and no one is for the criminal there is Joe Pickett - mainstay of justice even if he doesn't like it much. Someone has killed two EPA agents in Joe's Territory and a reward has been set for the killer. The EPA head honcho for Wyoming is a total ass, which is typical of a government man but he takes it to a whole new level. Why?

Between dodging bullets, leading riders into the forest and ducking drones with Hellfire missles (yep, that's what I said Joe has reached his breaking point and everyone needs to be careful. ( )
  macygma | Aug 14, 2016 |
Banality of evil: A phrase coined by philosopher Hannah Arendt that describes the thesis that the great evils in history generally were not executed by fanatics or sociopaths, but rather by ordinary people who accepted the premises of their state and therefore participated with the view that their actions were normal.
You can still get gas in Heaven, and drink in Kingdom Come, In the meantime, I'm cleaning my gun.--Mark Knopfler, "Cleaning My Gun"
For Mike and Chantelle Sackett And Laurie, always . . .
On an early morning in mid-August, EPA Special Agents Tim Singewald and Lenox Baker left the Region 8 Environmental Protection Agency building at 1595 Wynkoop Street in downtown Denver in a Chevrolet Malibu SA hybrid sedan they'd checked out from the motor pool.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

C. J. Box's book Breaking Point was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,215,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible