Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

History of the United States of America…
Member:stranske
Title:History of the United States of America During the Administrations of Thomas Jefferson (Library of America)
Authors:Henry Adams
Info:Library of America (1986), Hardcover
Rating:*****

History of the United States of America during the administrations of Thomas Jefferson by Henry Adams

Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789-1815 (Oxford History of the United States) by Gordon S. Wood (wildbill)
    wildbill: This volume from the Oxford History covers the period from 1789-1815. Get a different look at the events and people in Adams' book.

Henry Adams is one of the most eloquent and insightful historians I have ever read, and reading the additional volume covering the administrations of Madison is essential. ( )
  enoerew | Jan 27, 2012 |
"A history yet to be replaced." C. Vann Woodward
  Bpolybius | Apr 9, 2011 |
When I first subscribed to Library of America this is one of the first books that I read. Adams book is an excellent narrative and analysis of Jefferson's administrations. He provides many illuminating quotations from letters and conversations of all of the important persons of the time. For example the details of Napoleon's conversations greatly added to my understanding of him. He also tells in detail some of the most important incidents that occurred. I found particularly interesting his narrative of the impeachment trial of Salmon Chase and the treason trial of Aaron Burr.
If the book is lengthy it is only because of Adams thorough treatment of his subject. I find it interesting that Garry Wills found Adams volume and the one on Madison's administrations significant enough to warrant his recent book about them. One of the lasting images I have from the book is Thomas Jefferson riding alone back to Monticello after his retirement. Just prior to his retirement he had been unable to get the Senate to approve his nominee for the ambassador to Russia.
I highly recommend this volume and can assure you that it worth the time it takes to read. Adams is not only telling the story of Jefferson he is telling the story of the growth of America and its growth as a republic. ( )
  wildbill | Sep 19, 2007 |

Henry Adamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harbert, Earl N.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,458,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible