La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert by…

La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Joël Dicker

1,2011036,673 (3.69)39
Title:La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert
Authors:Joël Dicker
Info:DE FALLOIS (2012), Broché, 670 pages
Collections:Your library, lecture 2012
Tags:lu2012, polar, USA, XXe siècle

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joël Dicker (2012)

English (49)  French (15)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (9)  Italian (7)  Catalan (5)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (103)
This book is one that seems to have polarized opinions about it. People either love it and can’t say enough good things or loathe it and are happy to expound at length on the reasons they hate it. I respect both camps but fall into the “loved it” category.

I can start by saying I hadn’t read reviews or even knew that the book had won several literary awards in the United States and France. So I went into the book with a blank slate and no expectations. Quite honestly, I don’t even remember where or when I picked up the book and for weeks it has been sitting on a shelf under the coffee table with my thinking that it was a different authors book altogether.

It is a long book but for once, the length is justified. The author has written a very complex story with lots of misunderstandings between characters and misinformation presented to the reader that has to be unraveled and would not have done justice to the story if the author had tried to do so in just a few pages.

One thing that immediately stands out is that there is a love affair between a 34 year old man and a 15 year old girl. My first thought was “Are we somehow revisiting Humbert Humbert and Lolita by Nabokov here?” The answer is kind of yes and kind of no. But that is a similarity that readers can decide for themselves.

The story is complex. One arm is about a writer, trying to meet the high expectations set by his first novel, while he struggles to write his second. Another arm is the writers’ relationship with his mentor who followed a similar path. Another is a love story between a man and a young girl. Another is small town life in New Hampshire in the mid 70’s and the relationships between townspeople and outsiders. Another is a story about a deformed former vet and his mentor, a wealthy magnate.

What makes the book so fascinating is that all of these stories are inter-connected. There are tons of themes that run throughout the book and I could write and write and still not cover everything. Nor would I want to do that because there is no way I could do that without exposing the end of the story.

It is a book that you have to keep reading because with every page, a new piece of information is exposed that makes the ending difficult to see. In fact, you really have to read to the end to get the entire picture and I loved that.

I’m not sure what kind of writing that people who were disappointed in the book were looking for from “a literary masterpiece.” Hemingway wrote in very short, sharp sentences. He used his journalistic background in his literary art. For me, the wording or authorship is not the standout thing about the book. It is the complexity of the story and the author’s ability to successfully link all the threads together. It would have been very easy for the plot to come easily unraveled. To keep this tightly woven was a real accomplishment.

This is a long book- over 600 pages. Even so, I was eager every night to get back to the story and 100 pages flew by very quickly so don’t let the size of the book intimidate you. It held my interest and I have been recommending it to others. To me, this is a strong 4 star book but based on the diversity of opinions about it, it is also a love it or hate it book. I hope you love it. I did. ( )
  ozzie65 | Oct 25, 2016 |
De los mejores libros de misterio que he leído. Quizás mi amor por el libro en sí parte de la forma tan inusual (para mí) en la que lo he leído. He comprado tanto el libro como el audiolibro, y he estado escuchando y leyendo poco a poco por un par de semanas. Me ha dejado cautivada, cada vez quería saber más. Lo escuchaba de camino a la universidad, cuando esperaba entre clases, mientras comía, mientras caminaba en la pista... Se volvió parte de mi día a día por este corto tiempo.
Quizás una de mis partes favoritas es el hecho de que nunca te dejaba acoplarte muy bien a una idea cuando te cambiaba todo el panorama. Especialmente esas últimas páginas, esos últimos capítulos: escuché las últimas 4 horas corridas, no podía parar.
Tengo que aceptar que si había sospechado de la persona que resultó ser culpable del crimen, pero nunca cruzó por mi mente la forma o las razones. Dudé de todos, no creí en nadie, y terminé con una de las mejores experiencias literarias que he tenido en mucho tiempo.
Lo recomiendo mil veces, en especial el audiolibro. El narrador es simplemente perfecto para esta historia. ( )
  LiindaSnow97 | Oct 22, 2016 |
Je dois avouer être un peu deçue. L'histoire est bien ficelée, bien écrite et intéressante. Cependant, un peu trop long, quelques personnages et dialogues sont ridicules (maman de Marcus, Tamara Quinn), et la fin est decevante. Il y a trop de rebondissement à la fin. C'était déjà tordu, mais là ce n'est plus croyable.

Le personnage de Nola est très plat. Une fille de 15 ans amoureuse de Harry et que plusieurs autres hommes desirent. Il aurait été bien de voir Nola emergé par sa propre force, pas être définie par le regard des hommes trops agés pour elle ... ( )
  claraoscura | Sep 9, 2016 |
The story follows Marcus Goldman a struggling writer whom mentor and only friend Harry Quebert is accused of murder.
Marcus who is suffering from writers block, start his own investigation in the quiet town of Somerset, to clear the name of one of the greatest writers of the 21th century.
The book has 640 pages, stars with chapter 31 and ends with chapter 1, each chapter begins with a rule or a lesson from Harry’s 31 rules to become a great writer

Well to be honest, the author failed miserably to hook me in the first 200 pages I had considered many times to give up on the book, the beginning is doll, the dialogue is monotonous, and the events were uninteresting, it was 200 pages of pure torture waiting aimlessly for something important to happen or be discovered .
Originally written in French, I could say that the problem maybe lays with in the translation but I don’t really have much hope for French books so who knows.
The only reason why I continued reading the book, was my friend whom I agreed to have a read along with and I didn’t want to let her down, and who shares the same opinion about the first chapters.
However, after passing the poisonous 200 to 300 pages things finally began to move, and eventually you get hooked on the case, although the murderer is easy to deduce, it is the circumstances of the murder and the secrets that the locals keep is what keeps you wanting to read and know more.
The book had good ending, a genius one dare I say, and the kind that wipes away the regret of starting the book you had, and makes you close the back cover with a smile of satisfaction. ( )
  dikkar | Aug 28, 2016 |
After 600 pages all I have to say right now is I am done, and if you can hang in there for the first 500 pages, the remaining 140 are worth the investment. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |

Dicker, Joëlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vega, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Als meus pares
To my parents
"Polizeizentrale! Sie möchten einen Notfall melden?"
La vie est une longue chute. Le plus important est de savoir tomber.

Un bon livre, Marcus, est un livre qu'on regrette d'avoir terminé.

Marcus Goldman, a successful young novelist, visits Somerset to see his mentor, Harry Quebert, one of the country's most respected writers, and to find a cure for his writer's block as his publisher's deadline looms. But Marcus's plans are violently upended when Harry is suddenly and sensationally implicated in the cold-case murder of Nola Kellergan.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,816,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible