La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert by…

La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Joël Dicker

Member:jackie67
Title:La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert
Authors:Joël Dicker
Info:DE FALLOIS (2012), Broché, 670 pages
Collections:Your library, lecture 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:lu2012, polar, USA, XXe siècle

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joël Dicker (2012)

English (47)  French (15)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (9)  Italian (7)  Catalan (5)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (101)
Je dois avouer être un peu deçue. L'histoire est bien ficelée, bien écrite et intéressante. Cependant, un peu trop long, quelques personnages et dialogues sont ridicules (maman de Marcus, Tamara Quinn), et la fin est decevante. Il y a trop de rebondissement à la fin. C'était déjà tordu, mais là ce n'est plus croyable.

Le personnage de Nola est très plat. Une fille de 15 ans amoureuse de Harry et que plusieurs autres hommes desirent. Il aurait été bien de voir Nola emergé par sa propre force, pas être définie par le regard des hommes trops agés pour elle ... ( )
  claraoscura | Sep 9, 2016 |
The story follows Marcus Goldman a struggling writer whom mentor and only friend Harry Quebert is accused of murder.
Marcus who is suffering from writers block, start his own investigation in the quiet town of Somerset, to clear the name of one of the greatest writers of the 21th century.
The book has 640 pages, stars with chapter 31 and ends with chapter 1, each chapter begins with a rule or a lesson from Harry’s 31 rules to become a great writer

Well to be honest, the author failed miserably to hook me in the first 200 pages I had considered many times to give up on the book, the beginning is doll, the dialogue is monotonous, and the events were uninteresting, it was 200 pages of pure torture waiting aimlessly for something important to happen or be discovered .
Originally written in French, I could say that the problem maybe lays with in the translation but I don’t really have much hope for French books so who knows.
The only reason why I continued reading the book, was my friend whom I agreed to have a read along with and I didn’t want to let her down, and who shares the same opinion about the first chapters.
However, after passing the poisonous 200 to 300 pages things finally began to move, and eventually you get hooked on the case, although the murderer is easy to deduce, it is the circumstances of the murder and the secrets that the locals keep is what keeps you wanting to read and know more.
The book had good ending, a genius one dare I say, and the kind that wipes away the regret of starting the book you had, and makes you close the back cover with a smile of satisfaction. ( )
  dikkar | Aug 28, 2016 |
After 600 pages all I have to say right now is I am done, and if you can hang in there for the first 500 pages, the remaining 140 are worth the investment. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
From Amazon:

August 30, 1975: the day fifteen-year-old Nola Kellergan is glimpsed fleeing through the woods, never to be heard from again; the day Somerset, New Hampshire, lost its innocence.

Thirty-three years later, Marcus Goldman, a successful young novelist, visits Somerset to see his mentor, Harry Quebert, one of the country’s most respected writers, and to find a cure for his writer’s block as his publisher’s deadline looms. But Marcus’s plans are violently upended when Harry is suddenly and sensationally implicated in the cold-case murder of Nola Kellergan—whom, he admits, he had an affair with. As the national media convicts Harry, Marcus launches his own investigation, following a trail of clues through his mentor’s books, the backwoods and isolated beaches of New Hampshire, and the hidden history of Somerset’s citizens and the man they hold most dear. To save Harry, his own writing career, and eventually even himself, Marcus must answer three questions, all of which are mysteriously connected: Who killed Nola Kellergan? What happened one misty morning in Somerset in the summer of 1975? And how do you write a book to save someone’s life?

My Thoughts:

First let me say that it's downright creepy that the then 34-year-old Harry Quebert had a love affair with a 15-year-old girl...and he's not the only adult male
in town to have a thing for Nola. It's not until the final one-third of this 640 page book, that we learn what happened to Nola that summer of 1975...or do we? Over and over, the mystery appears to reach a resolution, but then we find out that the resolution was wrong. Maybe this is what keep the reader turning pages. This is a really enjoyable mystery and I think it should be viewed as such. Forget the hype and all the comparisons and simply enjoy the book for what it is. An interesting, and well written novel, populated by a fascinating cast of characters – from the pastor who hides in his garage blaring out music, to the disenchanted waitress at the local diner, the henpecked husband whose wife (owner of the diner) is unbearable to the point where you wonder why nobody actually murdered her instead, the librarian who longs for fame and the wonderful Sergeant Gahalowood who joins Goldman on his mission for the truth. You will probably not be able to guess the ending, but it’s certainly an enjoyable ride.

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The journey through this story started rather unconventionally, beginning at chapter 31 and ending at chapter 1. Each chapter began with a life lesson from Harry to Marcus and often the more poignant lessons are repeated. The three main characters, Marcus, Harry, and Nola are the driving characters throughout the novel. As the story progresses and new characters are introduced, the reader begins to develop a back story behind each of the characters. The book reads very much like an investigative dialogue with Marcus as the driving force behind it all. It is a tale of friendship, love, tragedy, and mystery. It is an interesting journey with a twist at the end that caught me by surprise. Highly recommended for those who enjoy a good mystery! ( )
  AnnArborCityClub | May 24, 2016 |

Dicker, Joëlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vega, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Als meus pares
To my parents
"Polizeizentrale! Sie möchten einen Notfall melden?"
La vie est une longue chute. Le plus important est de savoir tomber.

Un bon livre, Marcus, est un livre qu'on regrette d'avoir terminé.

Marcus Goldman, a successful young novelist, visits Somerset to see his mentor, Harry Quebert, one of the country's most respected writers, and to find a cure for his writer's block as his publisher's deadline looms. But Marcus's plans are violently upended when Harry is suddenly and sensationally implicated in the cold-case murder of Nola Kellergan.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,183,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible