La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert by…

La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert (edition 2012)

by Joël Dicker

Collections:lecture 2012, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:lu2012, polar, USA, XXe siècle

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker

Recently added byLombart, pmcnamee, Koally, r.bruno, rbsclib, arohabooks, private library, Finja2502, tinatchou

English (23)  French (13)  Spanish (9)  Dutch (8)  Italian (5)  Catalan (4)  Finnish (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (67)
Bought this in L.A. airport to read during a flight to the U.K. - it went off to a flying start each chapter beginning with a short hint or tip on how & why to write a novel after that is usually a longer 'real' chapter and these in the beginning are quick fast paced reads but then, the more you get into the book the the longer and more dragged out it becomes - it's still quite a easy fast paced read but then as you near the three quarter stage of the book more stupid twists and turns appear and yes the thing could've been wrapped up an around about 3 or 400 pages but no I think Mr Dicker just couldn't make up his mind on who to blame and who should come out clean - all in all a reasonable read for a long flight but a slog of a read for a normal book ( )
  nikon | Aug 29, 2014 |
I started to read this mostly to practice my French, so I had few expectations. Even so, I was unprepared for its being quite so ridiculous: middle-aged men lust after a psychologically tormented and vulnerable fifteen year-old girl. She ends up dead and the reader is then meant, over the course of the 600+ pages that it takes for the whodunnit to unfold, to care about the fate of these men. How strange and unreasonable is that? It doesn't help that the author ploddingly trots out one untenable plot twist after another, or that it all plays out in a weirdly cardboard version of New England. While it is understandable that the novel hasn't gained so much traction in the English speaking world, its phenomenal European success is utterly baffling. ( )
  maritimer | Aug 25, 2014 |
You can find more of my thoughts on this book right here:

I always carefully select the books I read (also the movies I watch). It's not just that I am selective about what I add to my TBR list but also that when the moment comes to pick out a book to read I always make sure that I am "feeling" that genre, that author or that topic at that moment. There are quite a few award winning books out there that I will never read. Also quite a few bestsellers that will never even make it onto my TBR list. And that's ok. I believe life is too short (and my love of books so great) for me to waste my time reading books that are really not my cup of tea (especially if it's just because of the hype).

The only reason I am mentioning that is because I keep glancing over the other reviews and I keep coming across "I can't believe this book won an award, it was really bad..." etc. I feel bad for those readers. My experience was the exact opposite. I had no clue that this book was so popular in Europe (until after I read it), not that it would change the way I feel about it after reading it.

This is a book whose storyline, structure, pacing, language were all to my liking. To me it was a perfect combination of literary exploration and mystery. I didn't worry about the likeability of any of the characters (and I usually do when I read) because all of them just seemed to come alive to me as I was reading. Marcus, Harry, Nola - I feel as if I'd be able to recognize each and every one of them if they were to walk by me on the street. I experienced this book as much more than just another mystery. My urge to keep reading was constantly at odds with my desire to stop and mark certain passage, save certain quotes.

This is NOT a bestseller in the league with James Patterson or Dan Brown. At the same time it's also not one of those award winners that come across as deeply philosophical and use a lot of big words. To me this book was somewhere in the middle - well written and interesting, requiring quite a bit of engagement on my part without making it feel like "heavy" literature.

My suggestion to all the readers out there - read an excerpt first if you are not sure that this book would be something you'd like. If it grabs you, you will keep reading and discover a lovely book. If it doesn't, you will be end up saving yourself from spending your time reading 656 pages of a book that ends up frustrating you. ( )
  anais_nin | Aug 20, 2014 |
When I read this sentence in the Sunday Times Book Review -- “His darkly comic debut thriller (already a blockbuster in Europe!) is unimpeachably terrific.” – I not only finished the review (which glowed so brightly I needed sunglasses), but I immediately added “The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair” by Joel Dicker to my ‘must read’ list. (Did the reviewer actually read the book or simply take the week off and go by the promos?)

My first reaction (say, the first 50 pages) was “pretty good.” Half way through my opinion had dropped at least a notch. And by the end of the book I was already composing this critique which I can hardly make scathing enough.

Let’s start with the easy stuff. First, the book is too long. I read it on my Kindle and I could never quite believe how little the percent complete increased each time I put it down. (“What! I’ve been reading for an hour and I’ve only gone 3% more!”) Second, it has way too many characters. Dicker could easily have pared down the character list by half and told same story. Finally, the folksy prose is engaging for those first 50 pages. For rest of the book it just sounds childish.

The story itself is stupid. The corpse of a teenager missing more than thirty years is unearthed from Harry Quebert’s garden. Harry is an author whose fame emerged from a novel about his love affair with that very teenager. That plotline could easily lure a mystery buff. But Dicker’s own writing is so poor that he fails to convince us Harry Quebert was ever a credible writer; that the love story is believable; that the circumstances of the crime are plausible; or that the characters are authentic. By the end of the book any semblance of plot is completely drowned by ludicrous situations and absurd explanations.

Do not read this book! And if you do read this book remember that you are only doing so because you can’t believe it is as bad as all that. It is! ( )
1 vote refice | Aug 8, 2014 |
Easy read, gripping with a good twist at the end. ( )
  PaulaCheg | Aug 2, 2014 |
Als meus pares
To my parents
'Meldkamer politie, wat is uw nodgeval?'

Marcus Goldman, a successful young novelist, visits Somerset to see his mentor, Harry Quebert, one of the country's most respected writers, and to find a cure for his writer's block as his publisher's deadline looms. But Marcus's plans are violently upended when Harry is suddenly and sensationally implicated in the cold-case murder of Nola Kellergan.… (more)

3 wanted11 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible