La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert by…

La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Joël Dicker

Member:jackie67
Title:La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert
Authors:Joël Dicker
Info:DE FALLOIS (2012), Broché, 670 pages
Collections:Your library, lecture 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:lu2012, polar, USA, XXe siècle

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joël Dicker (2012)

Recently added byAinaUntil, jacpam, dikkar, renatemaes, Chatterbooks, private library, Maureen_McCombs, Ivianka, Synove

English (45)  French (15)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (9)  Italian (7)  Catalan (5)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (99)
After 600 pages all I have to say right now is I am done, and if you can hang in there for the first 500 pages, the remaining 140 are worth the investment. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
From Amazon:

August 30, 1975: the day fifteen-year-old Nola Kellergan is glimpsed fleeing through the woods, never to be heard from again; the day Somerset, New Hampshire, lost its innocence.

Thirty-three years later, Marcus Goldman, a successful young novelist, visits Somerset to see his mentor, Harry Quebert, one of the country’s most respected writers, and to find a cure for his writer’s block as his publisher’s deadline looms. But Marcus’s plans are violently upended when Harry is suddenly and sensationally implicated in the cold-case murder of Nola Kellergan—whom, he admits, he had an affair with. As the national media convicts Harry, Marcus launches his own investigation, following a trail of clues through his mentor’s books, the backwoods and isolated beaches of New Hampshire, and the hidden history of Somerset’s citizens and the man they hold most dear. To save Harry, his own writing career, and eventually even himself, Marcus must answer three questions, all of which are mysteriously connected: Who killed Nola Kellergan? What happened one misty morning in Somerset in the summer of 1975? And how do you write a book to save someone’s life?

My Thoughts:

First let me say that it's downright creepy that the then 34-year-old Harry Quebert had a love affair with a 15-year-old girl...and he's not the only adult male
in town to have a thing for Nola. It's not until the final one-third of this 640 page book, that we learn what happened to Nola that summer of 1975...or do we? Over and over, the mystery appears to reach a resolution, but then we find out that the resolution was wrong. Maybe this is what keep the reader turning pages. This is a really enjoyable mystery and I think it should be viewed as such. Forget the hype and all the comparisons and simply enjoy the book for what it is. An interesting, and well written novel, populated by a fascinating cast of characters – from the pastor who hides in his garage blaring out music, to the disenchanted waitress at the local diner, the henpecked husband whose wife (owner of the diner) is unbearable to the point where you wonder why nobody actually murdered her instead, the librarian who longs for fame and the wonderful Sergeant Gahalowood who joins Goldman on his mission for the truth. You will probably not be able to guess the ending, but it’s certainly an enjoyable ride.

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The journey through this story started rather unconventionally, beginning at chapter 31 and ending at chapter 1. Each chapter began with a life lesson from Harry to Marcus and often the more poignant lessons are repeated. The three main characters, Marcus, Harry, and Nola are the driving characters throughout the novel. As the story progresses and new characters are introduced, the reader begins to develop a back story behind each of the characters. The book reads very much like an investigative dialogue with Marcus as the driving force behind it all. It is a tale of friendship, love, tragedy, and mystery. It is an interesting journey with a twist at the end that caught me by surprise. Highly recommended for those who enjoy a good mystery! ( )
  AnnArborCityClub | May 24, 2016 |
I rarely read crime/mystery fiction, and it took me a while to invest time into this 600 page long thriller. The start was sluggish, but the pace picked up after a 100 odd pages, and I was intrigued to find out more.
However, by the end, almost every character in the book turned out be to somehow involved in the murder of Nola Kellergan, creating a mess in my head. If I had to explain the story to someone, I would be lost! All in all, a decent one-time read for me. ( )
  petrificius | Apr 12, 2016 |
As one reviewer said, this is a Russian doll of a novel. Or perhaps a more accurate metaphor might be a witches' cauldron with every outlandish ingredient you can think of thrown in. To start with, there are the copious borrowings. Throw in big chunks of 'Twin Peaks', add lashings of Agatha Christie, sprinkle in a bit of Hitchcock's 'Psycho', toss in a dash of 'Phantom of the Opera' and infuse with essence of Stephen King's 'Misery'.
There are so many twists and turns that, by the time I got to the end, I felt I had stumbled off of a fairground waltzer feeling giddy and nauseous. It's yet another modern crime novel where murder is carried out by sane, law abiding people as if it was one of a choice of options of how to spend the weekend. This is a pity as there's the makings of a very good novel in the first half that slowly gets buried under a welter of switchback implausibility. It kept me reading to the end to see just how many jaw-dropping twists and turns Joel Dicker could come up with. He takes the prize from 'Gone Girl' with ease.
Layered over the top of all this nonsense is a riff on the nature of writing and creativity, some of which is common sense advice which the author would have done well to follow, although most of it is made up of platitudes. I could also go on about some of the cardboard cutout characters (not another over-the-top jewish mother) and a complete failure, as far as I was concerned, to explain how a boringly typical pretty blond 15 year old, Nola, could so fascinate and enslave so many supposedly intelligent, mature men. ( )
  stephengoldenberg | Apr 6, 2016 |

Dicker, Joëlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vega, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Als meus pares
To my parents
"Polizeizentrale! Sie möchten einen Notfall melden?"
La vie est une longue chute. Le plus important est de savoir tomber.

Un bon livre, Marcus, est un livre qu'on regrette d'avoir terminé.

Marcus Goldman, a successful young novelist, visits Somerset to see his mentor, Harry Quebert, one of the country's most respected writers, and to find a cure for his writer's block as his publisher's deadline looms. But Marcus's plans are violently upended when Harry is suddenly and sensationally implicated in the cold-case murder of Nola Kellergan.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,329,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible