La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert by…

La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Joël Dicker

Member:jackie67
Title:La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert
Authors:Joël Dicker
Info:DE FALLOIS (2012), Broché, 670 pages
Collections:Your library, lecture 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:lu2012, polar, USA, XXe siècle

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joël Dicker (2012)

English (55)  French (15)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (9)  Italian (7)  Catalan (6)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All (110)
I received this book as the winner of a Goodreads giveaway and I must admit it sat on my shelf for a while as its sheer size meant I would have to set aside a serious amount of time to read it. Then one day on my way to work, the window of a certain chain of bookshops featured a large display of the book proclaiming it to be this summers must read. Goodness I thought and I was lucky enough to win a free copy I must read it at once and as soon as I got home I grabbed it and started to read ….. and it wasn’t awful.
Unfortunately it wasn’t great either. Positives were a good storyline, I was intrigued about the whole mystery. I really wanted to know what had happened to Nola and what everybody in this town was hiding (which was plenty, it got a bit Twin Peaks at times) I love a good twisty mystery and this was certainly that, apart from the main question of who killed the young girl there were several other crimes committed lots of suspicious characters and a lot of answers to be uncovered. The premise of a book within a book worked well and unlike some other reviewers I didn’t find it confusing at all. I read it all quite easily and didn’t feel it was particularly over long.
On the bad side there were times I found myself laughing out loud and I’m really not sure that was the author’s intention. Some of the writing was appalling, I’m not sure if it was the translation but unfortunately some of the characters came across as ludicrous. Marcus’ mother for example felt like a stereotype (for those fans of The Big Bang Theory think Howard’s mother but on the end of the phone). I also think as reader I can cope with the fact that Luther has a speech impediment without being bludgeoned over the head with mangled words every time his character says anything. However the worst part for me was the fact that I didn’t actually like anybody in the book, even Nola, and having an unsympathetic murder victim makes caring about who did it especially tricky. For me it’s not literary it’s a beach read but quite an entertaining one.
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
A very disappointing 600-page ready.

The writing is just awful.

The author is tone deaf to nuances of character. The characters are cartoonish, with no depth; as a result I didn't care about any of them, including the protagonist. There's the murdered girl, about whom we really know nothing except that she loves seagulls and dancing on the beach. There's the curmudgeonly cop who takes to calling the protagonist "writer." That shtick got stale about the third time he did it.There was the caricature of the Jewish mother, a cringeworthy portrait of an over-worrying and guilt-inducing harpy.

The dialogue is ludicrously stilted and unnatural.

The book is double the length it needs to be for a murder mystery.
  ChayaLovesToRead | Feb 15, 2017 |
I had high hopes for this book was really looking forward to reading this.
Main character is Marcus Goldman the latest and greatest American writer.
His old mentor Harry Quebert has been arrested for murdering a 15 year old girl, she went missing 33 years ago.
Marcus decides to write a book to clear Harry's name.

Characters aren't believable, Plot is ok but just to silly, Also this book is 200 pages to long.
I so wish this book was more enjoyable I couldn't wait to finish it.
Easy to read but just silly. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Jan 18, 2017 |
A novel within a novel; a book narrated by a blocked writer; novels that are not what they seem; authorship that isn't - this is a tricky book, but also a very readable one, as it proceeds along, backwards and forwards, to unravel what really happened to Nola Kellergan in 1975 and to chart the journey of Marcus the Magnificent to being a writer and a human being.
  otterley | Jan 15, 2017 |
I just don't even know what to say about this book. Pretentious, irritating, absorbing. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |

Dicker, Joëlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Durán Romero, Juan Carlossecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vega, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Als meus pares
To my parents
"Polizeizentrale! Sie möchten einen Notfall melden?"
La vie est une longue chute. Le plus important est de savoir tomber.

Un bon livre, Marcus, est un livre qu'on regrette d'avoir terminé.

Marcus Goldman, a successful young novelist, visits Somerset to see his mentor, Harry Quebert, one of the country's most respected writers, and to find a cure for his writer's block as his publisher's deadline looms. But Marcus's plans are violently upended when Harry is suddenly and sensationally implicated in the cold-case murder of Nola Kellergan.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,242,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible