La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert by…

La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Joël Dicker

Info:DE FALLOIS (2012), Broché, 670 pages
Collections:Your library, lecture 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:lu2012, polar, USA, XXe siècle

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joël Dicker (2012)

English (42)  French (14)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (8)  Italian (7)  Catalan (5)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (94)
I rarely read crime/mystery fiction, and it took me a while to invest time into this 600 page long thriller. The start was sluggish, but the pace picked up after a 100 odd pages, and I was intrigued to find out more.
However, by the end, almost every character in the book turned out be to somehow involved in the murder of Nola Kellergan, creating a mess in my head. If I had to explain the story to someone, I would be lost! All in all, a decent one-time read for me. ( )
  petrificius | Apr 12, 2016 |
As one reviewer said, this is a Russian doll of a novel. Or perhaps a more accurate metaphor might be a witches' cauldron with every outlandish ingredient you can think of thrown in. To start with, there are the copious borrowings. Throw in big chunks of 'Twin Peaks', add lashings of Agatha Christie, sprinkle in a bit of Hitchcock's 'Psycho', toss in a dash of 'Phantom of the Opera' and infuse with essence of Stephen King's 'Misery'.
There are so many twists and turns that, by the time I got to the end, I felt I had stumbled off of a fairground waltzer feeling giddy and nauseous. It's yet another modern crime novel where murder is carried out by sane, law abiding people as if it was one of a choice of options of how to spend the weekend. This is a pity as there's the makings of a very good novel in the first half that slowly gets buried under a welter of switchback implausibility. It kept me reading to the end to see just how many jaw-dropping twists and turns Joel Dicker could come up with. He takes the prize from 'Gone Girl' with ease.
Layered over the top of all this nonsense is a riff on the nature of writing and creativity, some of which is common sense advice which the author would have done well to follow, although most of it is made up of platitudes. I could also go on about some of the cardboard cutout characters (not another over-the-top jewish mother) and a complete failure, as far as I was concerned, to explain how a boringly typical pretty blond 15 year old, Nola, could so fascinate and enslave so many supposedly intelligent, mature men. ( )
  stephengoldenberg | Apr 6, 2016 |
Loved the plot turns -and twists -and layers. ( )
  SkiKatt68 | Feb 26, 2016 |
0.00
  johnrid11 | Feb 14, 2016 |
This book had a really interesting premise and the first chapter grabbed me, so I was very excited about reading it. Unfortunately, I felt like the book was just way, way too long. The plot seemed contrived and went in a lot of circles. This person did it and here's why, no this person, no actually... sigh. By the end, I didn't even care. Also, the author wrote this like he learned how to speak by listening to old gangster movies from the 1940's. Everyone! Exclaims! Every! Sentence! They also describe what they're doing and how they're feeling, out loud, to the person they're speaking to as if the person can't see them. Overall, it was just a really strange novel. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |

Dicker, Joëlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vega, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Als meus pares
To my parents
"Polizeizentrale! Sie möchten einen Notfall melden?"
La vie est une longue chute. Le plus important est de savoir tomber.

Un bon livre, Marcus, est un livre qu'on regrette d'avoir terminé.

Marcus Goldman, a successful young novelist, visits Somerset to see his mentor, Harry Quebert, one of the country's most respected writers, and to find a cure for his writer's block as his publisher's deadline looms. But Marcus's plans are violently upended when Harry is suddenly and sensationally implicated in the cold-case murder of Nola Kellergan.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,264,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible