La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert by…

La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Joël Dicker

Title:La vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert
Authors:Joël Dicker
Info:DE FALLOIS (2012), Broché, 670 pages
Collections:lecture 2012, Your library
Tags:lu2012, polar, USA, XXe siècle

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joël Dicker (2012)

English (34)  French (13)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (8)  Italian (6)  Catalan (4)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (83)
August 30, 1975. The day of the disappearance. The day a small New Hampshire town lost its innocence.

That summer Harry Quebert fell in love with fifteen-year-old Nola Kellergan. Thirty-three years later, her body is dug up from his yard along with a manuscript copy of his career-defining novel. Quebert is the only suspect.

Marcus Goldman – Quebert’s most gifted protégé – throws off his writer’s block to clear his mentor’s name. Solving the case and penning a new bestseller soon blur together. As his book begins to take on a life of its own, the nation is gripped by the mystery of ‘The Girl Who Touched the Heart of America’. But with Nola, in death as in life, nothing is ever as it seems.

Joël Dicker’s phenomenal European bestseller is a brilliantly intricate murder mystery, a hymn to the boundless reaches of the imagination, and a love story like no other. Nothing you’ve read or even felt before can prepare you for The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair

This wonderful piece of metafiction has been rather coolly received but I loved it! You feel that the book is being written as you read it, you become immersed in the long buried small town secrecy but you are kept on your toes all the time, never guessing what is coming. Hooked by the story and the characters and wondering how do you write a book to save someones life. Give it a try, you might be surprised.

FromThe Telegraph

It’s like Twin Peaks meets Atonement meets In Cold Blood, with a bromance between literary jocks and some suspected paedophilia thrown in. It’s about fame and infamy, writing and love, theft and imposture; about murder, madness, and religious zealotry. It’s about guilt: not just in the criminal sense, but as an emotion that can dog you for life. It is breathtakingly plotted. But the fiendishness of the book’s construction is not merely mathematical; it relies on the built-in ambivalence of each character, or there wouldn’t be enough left to withhold for so long. The case looks to be solved several times, yet 100 pages before the end (of a 700-page total), just when all loose ends appear to have been tied, a sudden spinning ambiguity erupts in the clues. And we’re still a good couple of resolutions away from the truth

jan.fleming | Nov 9, 2015 |
Still can't make my mind up about this book - which is brilliantly translated BTW - one thing for sure, it is far too long.
Bit like a maze, dead end after dead end. You think you know what is going on, then there is another twist and then another.
It started so well, and for the first couple of chapters I was hooked; I don't intend to give a plot synopsis as many have done, suffice to say the plot was something of a Curate's egg, good in parts.
What did seem VERY unlikely to me is that a well read, well educated man like Harry Quebert would have thought that a pretty, vacuous, 15yr old high schoolgirl was his soul mate. I kept thinking of 'Lolita' ...for me that was an essential flaw. For sure it is a very 'clever' book about writing a book, so in a sense it is like a set of those Russian dolls that nest inside each other.
I don't regret reading it, it kept me entertained but by the end was beginning to drag somewhat. ( )
  herschelian | Sep 25, 2015 |
Quite slow but good twist at end. Will remind me of Lisbon ( )
  Mumineurope | Jul 28, 2015 |
I have been at this for more than a week now and I have decided to abandon it. I don't know if it is because it is a translation but I feel that the writing is pedestrian. At 600 plus pages it is rather voluminous for a crime thriller, and even though I have made a fair effort to give this a chance, having read 20 percent, it has failed to grip my attention in any way. It would be foolish of me to persist with this when there is so much else available to read. ( )
  maximnoronha | Apr 18, 2015 |
Als meus pares
To my parents
"Polizeizentrale! Sie möchten einen Notfall melden?"
La vie est une longue chute. Le plus important est de savoir tomber.

Un bon livre, Marcus, est un livre qu'on regrette d'avoir terminé.

Marcus Goldman, a successful young novelist, visits Somerset to see his mentor, Harry Quebert, one of the country's most respected writers, and to find a cure for his writer's block as his publisher's deadline looms. But Marcus's plans are violently upended when Harry is suddenly and sensationally implicated in the cold-case murder of Nola Kellergan.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,947,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible