Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

Orphan Train (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Christina Baker Kline (Author)

4,1913951,753 (3.98)1 / 231
Member:AlisBooks4u
Title:Orphan Train
Authors:Christina Baker Kline (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2013), 278 pages

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline (2013)

Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another good read showcasing a small bit of American history
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Isolated old ladies benefit by telling their stories to younger women.
    The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: Similar story of a young woman aging out of the foster care system.
    My Notorious Life by Kate Manning (Anonymous user)
    Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult (JenniferMCampbell)

English (387)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (395)
This was a really good book. I had heard of Orphan Train but never thought it would a book that I wouldn't put it down. It was really need to learn different family life. It was really sad to me the way the children had to live. ( )
  Paige-Flowers | Jul 8, 2019 |
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. My Dad was an orphan as a child and led a very rough life being farmed out to work on farms in Ohio. He rarely spoke of it but family was the most important thing in his life.
This book gave me just a glimpse of what his life was possibly like. ( )
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
Being a children's librarian means I read a LOT of kid and YA books, but every now and then I read a grownup book as well. This was my most recent and it did not disappoint! Told as two stories, one a modern day narrative of a foster child befriending an elderly widow, and the other of a young girl on an orphan train from NYC. The stories seem disparate at first, but as the story builds you see the overlaps and the depth of each narrative. It was a heart-breaking, awe-inspiring, piece of historical fiction. I'd highly recommend this book to others looking for a fascinating peek into a little known piece of history. ( )
  Tessa.Johnson | May 20, 2019 |
3.5 stars. Liked but didn’t love! I appreciated the concept of everything that happens to you over the course of your life leads you to where you’re meant to be. Or should be. Or maybe not even where you’re meant to be, but every move you make plays a part in where you end up. That idea fascinates me and I think about it a lot.

I guess I just didn’t connect too deeply with the characters, although I certainly enjoyed Molly’s and Niamh’s stories and felt for them. Definitely a good read, just not a favorite for me! ( )
  tuf25995 | Apr 5, 2019 |
Love this book! Written from 2 perspective stories that find their way intertwining and coming together. beautifully written. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |

Metaal, CarolienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sævold, Ann-MagrittOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thieme, Britt-Mariesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In portaging from one river to another, Wabanakis had to carry their canoes and all other possessions. Everyone knew the value of traveling light and understood that it required leaving some things behind. Nothing encumbered movement more than fear, which was often the most difficult burden to surrender.
-Bunny McBride, Women of the Dawn
To
Christina Looper Baker,
who handed me the thread,
and Carole Robertson Kline,
who gave me the cloth.
Prologue
I believe in ghosts.
Through her bedroom wall Molly can hear her foster parents talking about her in the living room, just beyond her door.
"...you can't find peace until you find all the pieces."
– I learned long ago that loss is not only probable but inevitable. I know what it means to lose everything, to let go of one life and find another. And now I feel, with a strange, deep certainty, that it must be my lot in life to be taught that lesson over and over again.
Her hand flutters to her clavicle, to the silver chain around her neck, the Claddagh charm – those tiny hands clasping a crowned heart: love, loyalty, friendship – a never-ending path that leads away from home and circles back.

"Penobscot Indian Molly Ayer is close to 'aging out' out of the foster care system. A community service position helping an elderly woman clean out her home is the only thing keeping Molly out of juvie and worse.... As she helps Vivian sort through her possessions and memories, Molly learns that she and Vivian aren't as different as they seem to be. A young Irish immigrant orphaned in New York City, Vivian was put on a train to the Midwest with hundreds of other children whose destinies would be determined by luck and chance. Molly discovers that she has the power to help Vivian find answers to mysteries that have haunted her for her entire life--answers that will ultimately free them both. Rich in detail and epic in scope, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline is a powerful novel of upheaval and resilience, of unexpected friendship, and of the secrets we carry that keep us from finding out who we are."--from publisher's description… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,478,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible