Dark Wings Descending by Lesley Davis

Dark Wings Descending (edition 2012)

by Lesley Davis

Title:Dark Wings Descending
Authors:Lesley Davis
Info:Bold Strokes Books (2012), Paperback, 264 pages

Dark Wings Descending by Lesley Davis

I had really high hopes for this book! It had everything I was looking for in a book - lesbian romance, angels, demons, a serial killer on the loose, etc. And then it kind of fell flat for me. I won't bother with the summary; I'm getting straight to my thoughts.

First, I never connected with either of the main characters. I found Ashley to be rather annoying, and Rafe felt underdeveloped to me (even though, arguably, she is more the "main character" than Ashley). I think part of it has to do with the dialogue; it just felt so unrealistic to me at times and quite stilted. Many of the conversations felt very scripted to me and they didn't flow well. I'm not sure if it's because the author is British and was trying to write in American English or what, but it just came across as odd.

It was also pretty clear who was committing the murders as soon as that character's name was introduced, and it was so blatantly obvious that I wondered why in the heck neither of the two main characters put the dots together.

I also felt that the romance was sloppy. The book really did start out well, but the author reverted to the "there are literal soulmates and we are divinely meant to be together" trope, which translated into there not being much romantic development between the two. They went from barely knowing each other to being ready to Uhaul within a few chapters, with virtually no development in the between.

As I said, I really did have high hopes for this book, but they mostly fell flat. I wavered between a two- and three-star rating, and I ended up going with two and a half stars because it's lesbian fantasy and I freaking love that genre. But I wouldn't recommend this book. ( )
  schatzi | Jun 23, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,758,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible