Second Hand: A Tucker Springs Novel by Heidi…

Second Hand: A Tucker Springs Novel (edition 2012)

by Heidi Cullinan, Marie Sexton

Member:theshadowknows
Title:Second Hand: A Tucker Springs Novel
Authors:Heidi Cullinan (Author)
Other authors:Marie Sexton
Info:Riptide Publishing (2012), Paperback, 162 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2012, m/m, contemporary m/m, cross-cultural g, closeted, impoverished hero g, 1st person POV - one hero, novella, riptide publishing, borrowed, library ebook

Second Hand (Tucker Springs) by Heidi Cullinan (Author)

Recently added byprivate library, madspinner, PaisleyH, elisa.rolle, sandraowens, CotyM, dkestler, DreZ

Have I ever read a book by Marie Sexton or Heidi Cullinan that I don't like? Not yet.
Cute story - the way that "Tucker Springs" has evolved into its own little world is awesome!

The characters are great - the sex is typically Heidi & Marie hot, and the supporting characters are believable. I am not a huge fan of the "am I really gay?" storyline but this one is overall decent and not too angsty.

A nice entertaining read - I did it in one sitting because I really was enjoying myself. ( )
  PaisleyH | Jan 12, 2016 |

PaisleyH | Jan 12, 2016 |
Starts off slow but builds to a nice satisfying ending. 3.75 stars. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
Starts off slow but builds to a nice satisfying ending. 3.75 stars. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
I really enjoyed Second Hand. It is written by two of my favorite authors and it features interesting characters and a unique plot.

Paul is stuck. He moved to Tucker Springs for his girlfriend, who promptly dumped him when she found someone richer. He's making ends barely meet by working as an admin at a vet clinic. And when he sees there's a competition to prettify the neighbourhood to the tune of $500, he jumps at the chance for the extra cash. This leads him to El's pawn shop. Paul's ex loved fancy gadgets and even though El knows kitchen stuff doesn't really sell, he takes Paul's stuff so he can keep seeing him. Yeah El knows Paul is straight, but he still has a crush, something he hasn't had in a while, and it's pulling him out of his own rut. Paul's story isn't anything tragic - his mother is a hoarder and that has definitely affected his outlook on life. He leads a simple life and one that he thinks he's happy with. As him and Paul get to know each other and become friends, both men will realize that they've been hiding some pretty deep truths from themselves.

So yeah, I liked this. I love Paul and El and I even liked all the secondary characters (except for Paul's ex). I would say that my only complaint was about Paul. I know people can get stuck on their idea of 'normal' but I just wish that he'd opened his eyes a bit sooner. But since we still got an excellent story, I'm not going to nit pick about that. I did like Paul's character though, he was so oblivious about some things and he was sweet. El was more down to earth and cynical about things. He definitely needed some of Paul's wonder and excitement about the world to pull him out of his funk. They were a well balanced pair. Also, El's rule about being able to take one item to pawn a day? SO CUTE!

As well there were the secondary characters that added to the richness of this story. And I hope that a few of them get their own books!

Before I close, here's a line that I just love:
El took a moment to enjoy the sight of Paul relaxed and beautiful, not awkward or shy, just Paul, the best thing that had happened to an afternoon.
*sigh*

I always struggle writing a review for a book I love. But I hope I've said enough to convince you to give this one a shot. I just wished it hadn't ended! A- ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editSinfully Sexy, Monique (Jun 24, 2014)

Reviewed by Marissa
Book provided by NeGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

I was first attracted to this series because it was named after my beloved Beagle companion (um, Tucker?). While I missed the first book (Where Nerves End by L. A. Witt), I was excited to latch onto Second Hand. I adore the writing of both Heidi Cullinan and Marie Sexton and am a big (BIG) fan of their collaborative blog and I was not disappointed here.
added by RtB | editRomancing the Book, Marissa (Oct 19, 2012)

Cullinan, HeidiAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sexton, MarieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Paul Hannon moved to Tucker Springs for his girlfriend, but she’s left him with a house he can’t afford and a pantry full of useless gadgets. All Paul wants is to get back to normal, even if he's not sure what that is anymore. When he wanders into Tucker Pawn for a gift to win her back, he meets El Rozal, pawn shop owner and all-around cynic.

El Rozal doesn’t do relationships, especially not with clueless straight boys still pining for their ex. El may make his living dealing in castoffs, but that doesn't apply to men. Still, when Paul starts clearing out his old life, pawning kitchen equipment he never wanted in the first place, El is drawn to Paul in spite of himself.

Paul and El have nothing in common except a past full of disappointments. There's no reason to believe the two of them could fit, but in El’s line of work, one man’s junk is another man’s treasure. When it comes to love, El and Paul may learn that secondhand doesn't mean second best.
[riptide]

Paul Hannon moved to Tucker Springs for his girlfriend, but she's left him with a house he can't afford and a pantry full of useless gadgets. All Paul wants is to get back to normal, even if he's not sure what that is anymore. When he wanders into Tucker Pawn for a gift to win her back, he meets El Rozal, pawn shop owner and all-around cynic. El Rozal doesn't do relationships, especially not with clueless straight boys still pining for their ex. El may make his living dealing in castoffs, but that doesn't apply to men. Still, when Paul starts clearing out his old life, pawning kitchen equipment he never wanted in the first place, El is drawn to Paul in spite of himself. Paul and El have nothing in common except a past full of disappointments. There's no reason to believe the two of them could fit, but in El's line of work, one man's junk is another man's treasure. When it comes to love, El and Paul may learn that secondhand doesn't mean second best.… (more)

Heidi Cullinan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,989,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible