I'm Not Bobby by Jules Feiffer

I'm Not Bobby

by Jules Feiffer

Bobby is a naughty little boy. He does not answer when being called. Instead, Bobby uses his imagination to hide from his family and runs away to keep from being found. He imagines himself a lion, an astronaut, anything to keep from having to be "Bobby."

My students enjoyed the repetition in the sibling calling "BOBBY!" and Bobby's response "I'm NOT Bobby!" I did not feel it was a moral tale as the boy was not doing what he should but the students knew he was "gonna' be in trouble" when he finally went home. Good story to teach use of imagination! ( )
  weisser4 | Jun 3, 2014 |
About a little boy named Bobby who imagines his is everything but Bobby. He expresses a lot of imagination. ( )
  rwalsh06 | Sep 24, 2013 |
It took me a while, but I figured out that Bobby's thoughts are in a nice serif font and the adult voices yelling at him look like handwriting. Bobby imagines he's many exciting things until he gets hungry and SPOILER decides that he is a lion with Bobby's face and he won't eat anyone if he gets what he wants. I'm sure there's something here about learning to put on the face that people expect you to have in order to make your way in the world. ( )
  raizel | Jun 20, 2013 |
A young boys named Bobby hears his name being called. He pretends that he is not Bobby, but different kinds of animals. Then he dreams hie has a rocket and goes to the moon by his self. He's happy on the moon at first, but then he gets hungry so he goes home. Before he entered the house he turned into part lion. ( )
  Gabe77 | Apr 27, 2012 |
Bobby doesn’t want to go home, but his mom keeps calling, “BOBBY!” But he’s not listening, because he’s not Bobby. He’s a lion! An airplane! A dinosaur! As his family runs after him, Bobby becomes a horse, a race car, and then a rocket ship that takes him to outer space. His mom says he’ll come home when he’s hungry and wants to watch TV, but Bobby continues to rocket into the sky. Until he realizes that space is lonely and he’s hungry and he wants to watch TV. So he turns into a lion and goes back home.

The free, loose illustrations pop to the front of clean white pages. If you’re a fan of The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (one of my favorite books of all time), then you’ll recognize Feiffer’s classic style. Bobby’s mother never appears in the illustrations; much like the adults in The Peanuts you only hear/see her voice as bold, black writing on the page.

Full Review at Picture-Book-a-Day: http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2012/03/book-66-im-not-bobby-by-jules-feiffe...
  amy-picturebookaday | Mar 6, 2012 |
For Elizabeth Scalabrini
Someone's calling Bobby.I'm not Bobby.

A young boy isn't ready to go home when his mother calls so he pretends he is a lion, a dinosaur, a monster, a spaceship heading for Mars, and anyone or anything but Bobby.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible