Bouquet Toss by Melissa Brown

Bouquet Toss (edition 2012)

by Melissa Brown

Member:JerseyGirlBookReview
Title:Bouquet Toss
Authors:Melissa Brown
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 264 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

Bouquet Toss by Melissa Brown

I don't know where to start with the review of this book. I was so excited for it to come out. I'd already seen the cover art, by Sarah Hansen and was blown away. Everything about the book screamed to me that I would love it. So did I? Well, yeah I did.

Let's start with the storyline. Daphne has had her share of bad luck with relationships, always comparing every guy she's dated to her college boyfriend Mayson. And, there lies the problem. She just can't seem to get past him or her ideal of him as the perfect guy. She thinks she never will. But then at her friend Elyse's wedding, she sees him again and he re-enters her life just as quickly as he left it the first time around.

Daphne knows she has to move on, she even starts to by signing up for a dating service. She dates the guy who's looking for a fun night between the sheets, the tight-wad and the arrogant jerk. It seems like she can't get past the perfect guy.

Suddenly she is asking herself if she will ever get her happily ever after with her dream man or perhaps there is just someone else out there for her after all.

While Bouquet Toss is a romance, it's also a novel about conciliation - about who you were, who you are and who you should be. In a sense, it's a coming of age novel. You learn from the flashbacks what happened between her and her dream guy and you want to find out whether she will get her happily ever after and with whom.

Melissa Brown's debut novel is simply wonderful. It's beautifully written with characters you can relate to and a dialogue that keeps you moving right through out the novel. It's a story about love, loss, heartache and learning to pick up the pieces when you're down and out. One of the aspects I loved about this novel is that Daphne isn't being fought over by two guys, she isn't a simpering wailing annoying girl who yo-yos back and forth between boys, trying to decide which one is the one for her. She's just a girl trying to make it out in the world and find her feet in the dating game.

Beautifully crafted words filled with emotions that feel like you can connect with the characters. This is must for all who love a romance story that is well-written, superbly edited and let's face it, for the girl who wants *that* happily ever after for herself. ( )
  ninadangelo | May 12, 2013 |
Bouquet Toss is a true-to-life intense story that follows Daphne Harper on a long winding journey of finding the right man that will make her 'happily ever after' dreams come true. Daphne struggles in the dating world because she still yearns for her first and only love that has gotten away. She last saw Mayson Holt three and half years ago when they slept together a day before their college graduation, only to have him leave her without saying goodbye. Since that time, she has always been the bridesmaid but never the bride, and has a gift or curse for always catching the bouquet. In the past two years she has attended eight weddings and has caught the bouquet every time, even when she didn't try to catch it. Frustrated with her love life, Daphne has been set up on dates by her friends and even has resisted online dating because Mayson still has an emotional hold on her even after he has left her brokenhearted. While at her best friend Elise's wedding, Daphne runs into Mayson, and she wonders if this time she'll get a second chance with her first love and get that elusive happily ever after ending.

Bouquet Toss is a story about being able to move on from your past in order to get a second chance at finding love. In her debut novel, author Melissa Brown weaves an emotionally charged tale of love, loss and second chances that will pull at your heartstrings. Told in the first person narrative by the main character, Daphne Harper, the reader follows Daphne's emotional journey fraught with struggles along the way to finding love and getting her happy ever after ending. Filled with a lot of twists and turns, this story takes the reader on an emotional roller coaster ride, you can't help but feel the gamut of emotions as Daphne experiences the highs and lows of finding love. This story is definitely not your usual romance story, it is one that is intense and rings of reality that anyone can relate to when searching for that one true love, that special someone that will be a part of their happy ever after that every girl dreams about.

With a wonderful realistic cast of characters who the reader can relate to; engaging dialogue and intense interactions; and a storyline that is a mixture of heart wrenching and endearing; Bouquet Toss is a dramatically compelling story of one woman's journey of love, loss, letting go, moving on and learning to love again.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/01/bouquet-toss-by-melissa-brown-... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Jan 21, 2013 |
I was lucky to get this book for free on Amazon. I had read so many positive reviews on it I was anxious to read it. Unfortunately though I find myself on the fence about this particular book. While there were so many enjoyable parts of this story there were also so many that I felt dragged on and/or went to slow.

Daphne has a special gift or it may be a curse depending on how you look at it. She always catches the bridal bouquet. Every wedding she attends she stands with the single ladies to catch the bouquet and no matter what she does or where she stands it always lands in her hands. Yet still here she is, one of the last of her friends that is single.

Daphne finds herself still thinking of the man who broke her heart in college five years ago. She has never fully gotten over him and can't even begin to move on with anyone else when she can't stop comparing them to Mayson. Her friends and family worry for her, they just want her to be happy and to meet the man who can finally make her forget about Mayson.

Just when she has begun to tell herself it is time to move on who should show up at her bestfriends wedding?

Mayson has come back into Daphne's life and he seems determined to start over. What once was all Daphne could ever hope for has now become a reality and yet she isn't sure if she can actually forget the past long enough to put it behind her and fully trust Mayson. Too much has happened and she is not sure things have actually changed.

While Daphne is trying to sort out her feelings for Mayson tragedy strikes and everything Daphne thought she knew is called into question. She'll have to start on a new journey to find love but can she put her past love behind her to do it?

This story has so much potential. Unfortunately I just got tired of some of it. I found myself skimming pages and wishing it would move along quicker. At other times I found myself engrossed in the love story.

It is hilarious at times, emotional at others. There are times I absolutely love Daphne and times in which I can't stand her. At times I had no idea where this story was going but I have to say I loved the end, it brought this from a 3 star to a 4 star read for me.

macyj | Nov 26, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,993,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible