No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Moranthology by Caitlin Moran

In the same tradition as Stephen Fry's 'Paperwieght' and dare I say it, just as utterly delightful. This is the delicious Moran, in all her colour, idealism and swashbuckling humour, served up in crisp, snacky snippets for the reader to dip into and savour whenever they please. A deeply educated soul, Caitlin Moran is an uplifting conversation and freindly leg-up for the mind. I am grateful, hooked and practically cheering with pom-poms for this gorgeous woman. ( )
  swati.ravi | Feb 9, 2015 |
(8 March 2014, charity shop)

A collection of Moran’s newspaper columns which was clearly put out to build on the success of her “How to be a Woman” but was to me actually a more enjoyable and engaging read. When I reviewed the earlier book back in 2011, I wasn’t sure what I thought of it, and I’m left with a memory of lots of rude bits (or reclaiming of woman’s right to talk about whatever she wants to talk about) and a bit of missing out on the idea that other people of the same age could have similar ideas. This one is more inclusive, more conspiratorial, even, and more enjoyable for that.

There’s a good mix of the silly (and very funny), the (very) serious (and on occasion tear-inducing), the very perceptive but not nasty (for example on the Royal Wedding and the tweets around it) and, probably her best pieces, those that draw on her childhood experiences of poverty and draw parallels with events, policies and perceptions that are happening right now. Those are the most powerful pieces in the book, and really have something important to say.

With additional framing comments which fill in the context and in particular delightfully describe her early attempts at journalism, all is well-written and highly competent, with probably just the appropriate amount of the read-out-loud hilarious. ( )
1 vote LyzzyBee | Jan 4, 2015 |
Brilliant in all possible ways! I laughed so loudly and so often that I felt compelled to turn music on so as not to alarm my landlord and his kids with my barks and snorts of uncontrollable mirth. This is a collection of some of Caitlin Moran's newspaper articles for North American readers desperate for more after reading her fabulous debut book How to Be a Woman. I can only hope, along with her legions of fans, that they publish another collection like this as soon as possible. Someone this pithy, incisive and incredibly funny should be available for everyone to read. ( )
  EnidaV | Oct 26, 2014 |
I discovered Caitlin Moran in 2000, the year I moved to England for the first time and went a little wild with all the newspapers. She recently wrote a funny book about feminism and that was enough to get a collection of her newspaper columns published as Moranthology. It's a solid collection of her writing, although I thought it was a mistake to leave out her review of Wife Swap, and there were a few longer pieces included only because the person she interviewed and wrote about was really, really famous.

Caitlin Moran is very funny. She's also opinionated, a feminist, a geek and really very funny. She writes about what she calls "the bangingness of Sherlock," her unconventional childhood as a one of eight children being home schooled by "the only hippies in Wolverhampton," and binge drinking. She gets Keith Richards to talk like a pirate and visits the set of Doctor Who.

In this feature, the BBC let me go around the Doctor Who studios, where I found the Face of Boe in a warehouse and sat on him. For two years, a picture of me doing so was the screensaver on my laptop. There is no doubt in my mind that, when I'm dying, and my life flashes before my eyes, that particular picture will get a longer slot than many other pivotal life moments, with a caption saying "WINNING!" flashing over it.

She also speaks seriously about the importance of libraries and what it was like being raised on benefits. These columns make for every bit as compelling reading as her account of her teenage job deliberation, which had her debating being a check-out clerk at the grocery story, a prostitute or a writer. I'm glad she chose writer, although she would have made being stuck working the late shift at the supermarket a lot of fun. ( )
2 vote RidgewayGirl | Jun 25, 2014 |
I loved this book...found it so hard to put down, really intelligent and funny with a nice dose of feminism. Great stories I just had to read aloud to my husband. Lots of great Britcom in its subtleties. Really liked this book. ( )
  studioloo | May 23, 2014 |
To the bit in 'Bottom' where Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson hit the gas man with a frying pan forty-two times. I learned so much from you.
When I became a journalist at the age of fifteen, it was a matter of simple expediency.

Possibly the only drawback to the bestselling How to Be a Woman was that its author, Caitlin Moran, was limited to pretty much one subject: being a woman. Moranthology is proof that Caitlin can actually be "quite chatty" about many other things, including cultural, social, and political issues that are usually the province of learned professors or hot-shot wonks--and not of a woman who once, as an experiment, put a wasp in a jar and got it stoned. Caitlin ruminates on--and sometimes interviews--subjects as varied as caffeine, Keith Richards, Ghostbusters, Twitter, transsexuals, the welfare state, the royal wedding, Lady Gaga, and her own mortality, to name just a few.--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

27 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,727,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible