Moranthology by Caitlin Moran

Authors:Caitlin Moran
Info:Harper Perennial (2012), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Rating:*****
Tags:journalism, pop culture, feminism, essays, non-fiction, ebook, own

Moranthology by Caitlin Moran

2012 (3) 2013 (8) 21st century (3) anthology (9) articles (2) British (3) celebrity (3) collection (2) comedy (2) ebook (5) England (2) essays (27) feminism (13) humor (26) journalism (13) Kindle (5) Lady Gaga (2) memoir (8) music (3) non-fiction (33) own (3) politics (2) pop culture (8) read (3) read in 2013 (6) social commentary (3) television (4) to-read (9) UK (3) women (3)

Review to come. In the meantime, please see the full review on my blog:
http://theidlewoman.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/moranthology-caitlin-moran.html ( )
  Leander2010 | Apr 5, 2014 |
Not quite as consistently hysterical as How to Be a Woman, and also somewhat riddled with typos, but still enjoyable. Topics range from fashion to pop music (from Keith Richards to Lady Gaga to Paul McCartney) to politics to parenthood. Her essay "Libraries: Cathedrals of our Souls," which was included in The Library Book, is here also.

Quotes

...as an artist, there's nothing to say about the people you love and understand. It's the ones who mystify you that you need to write songs and books about. That's how you try and figure them out. (Moran to Keith Richards, p. 64)

"I had to invent the job, you know," he said, earlier. "There wasn't a sign in the shop window, saying, 'Wanted: Keith Richards.'" (68)

The casting was perfect. Benedict Cumberbatch - the first actor in history to play Sherlock Holmes who has a name more ridiculous than "Sherlock Holmes" - was both perfect and astonishing. (70)

In a cramped, crowded nation, we know the essence of politeness is ignoring pretty much everyone around us. (77)

This is why recent debates about the importance of the arts contain, at core, an unhappy error of judgment [i.e. that the arts are not essential and can be cut]...Art...is a world that runs constant and parallel to ours, where we imagine different futures - millions of them - and try them out for size. (85)

...it seems to be a good idea to enable children in learning about it [transgender people] nice and early on - before they start getting the kind of weird ideas adults have.
...As a general rule of thumb, I don't think we need worry much about overloading kids with interesting philosophical subjects that help them develop both understanding, and tolerance of, other human beings. That's like worrying that the Beatles might have made Sgt. Pepper "too good." That's what's supposed to happen. Carry on! Everything's fine! (88)

Society isn't Nature - it's made by people. Hopefully, polite and civilized people. And if society isn't working for 52 percent of the people [women], then it would be mannerly to change it so that it does. That's why I'm in favor of employment quotas and positive discrimination...People who are anti-positive discrimination are ignoring the fact that we've been giving jobs to MILLIONS of stupid, unqualified people for millennia: men. (116)

From "I Would Like Some Chivalry, Please, Dude": The first three months of gestation - when there are no visible indicators to the onlooker - are a panoply of astonishing and debilitating side effects...All kinds of head-spinning insanity can be going on inside a woman's body. Some days, it's like we're covering up a circus that's on fire, using only an A-line skirt and a blouse. Underneath, there are clowns jumping out of windows, and crying seals everywhere. (119) ( )
  JennyArch | Dec 2, 2013 |
I always enjoy Caitlin Moran's writing, so I knew this was going to be a good read. At times laugh out loud funny (be careful where you read it in public) but also insightful and thought-provoking. Definitely recommended. ( )
  cazfrancis | Nov 17, 2013 |
Caitlin Moran is my new best friend. In this delightful collection of columns, she takes on a wide variety of topics: her working-class upbringing, women's issues and what it means to be a woman in the 21st century, the Royal Wedding, and Sherlock and Doctor Who. (Her enthusiasm for Sherlock alone, particularly its lead actor, was enough to make me like her, but the rest was also persuasive.) Her writing is peppered with witty turns of phrase and served with huge dollops of self-deprecation. But she also writes with passion about important issues, and one column in particular, where she talks about the four places she always returns to, included an emotional wallop that actually left me momentarily breathless.

But I have to say, reading these columns was like eating those "fun size" chip bags you get on Halloween: I was enjoying them but also feeling a tiny bit cheated at the same time. *crunch crunch crunch* "Hey! That's all? More please!" The long-form interviews had a few more chips in the bag than the standard columns, so I tended to prefer those, even while I really enjoyed the subject matter of the shorter columns. I'm considering getting the audio version to spin out the columns a bit longer, and in the meantime I have How to Be a Woman to provide plenty of food for thought. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Jul 11, 2013 |
To the bit in 'Bottom' where Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson hit the gas man with a frying pan forty-two times. I learned so much from you.
When I became a journalist at the age of fifteen, it was a matter of simple expediency.

Possibly the only drawback to the bestselling How to Be a Woman was that its author, Caitlin Moran, was limited to pretty much one subject: being a woman. Moranthology is proof that Caitlin can actually be "quite chatty" about many other things, including cultural, social, and political issues that are usually the province of learned professors or hot-shot wonks--and not of a woman who once, as an experiment, put a wasp in a jar and got it stoned. Caitlin ruminates on--and sometimes interviews--subjects as varied as caffeine, Keith Richards, Ghostbusters, Twitter, transsexuals, the welfare state, the royal wedding, Lady Gaga, and her own mortality, to name just a few.--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible