Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

Forbidden by the dread pirate Jacquelyn…
Hauling away...

How ye liked it:*****
Pennons:Nought

Forbidden by the scurvy dog Jacquelyn Frank

Nought
  1. Drink of Me by the scurvy dog Jacquelyn Frank (2010)
  2. Forever by the scurvy dog Jacquelyn Frank (2013)
  3. Gideon by the scurvy dog Jacquelyn Frank (1987)
  4. The Darkest Seduction by the scurvy dog Gena Showalter (2012)
  5. Immortal Rider by the scurvy dog Larissa Ione (2011)
  1. Wicked Nights by the scurvy dog Gena Showalter (2012)
  2. Supernatural [anthology] by the scurvy dog Larissa Ione (2011)
  3. Rogue Rider by the scurvy dog Larissa Ione (2012)
  4. Wild About You by the scurvy dog Kerrelyn Sparks (2012)
  5. Last Kiss Goodnight by the scurvy dog Gena Showalter (2013)

Nought.

Hauling away...

I read book 4 in this series first, then book 2 (Sigh) but each book is, thankfully, complete enough in itself to make for a very enjoyable read. The characters are true to the world that Jacquelyn Frank created - a darker world than the humans who live in it can understand easily. The primary and secondary characters are well done and the romance is integrated well into the tale. No spoilers here, but it's a world you'll enjoy visiting! ( )
  CindyBrooks | Jun 19, 2014 |
Originally Reviewed At:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: NetGalley
Reviewer: Heather

Forbidden is a deep rooted love story that delves into the paranormal world of Nightwalkers. In this beginning tale we learn of the Bodywalkers. If you have a love of Egyptian history and mythology than you will already love this book as the very essence of what these beings are founded within it.

Bodywalkers are essentially those who were mummified and prepared for the afterlife. What the Templar’s did not know was that this very deed would anger Ra, as humans, even Pharohs were not equals. So Ra cursed them into living forever, but never being allowed in his presence again: the sun.

When a Bodywalker dies they must spend 100 years (or more if they choose) in the Ether. This is more akin to a state of limbo. From here they choose to be reborn into the world by choosing a human on the brink of death. They blend their souls, and two eventually become one, but the human life becomes stronger and powerful.

This is what happens to Docia. One day she was walking to work, chatting with her over-protective, cop brother, and the next thing she remembered she was being pushed from a bridge. Docia plummeted to an icy, battering death, but in those last moments of life, a voice reached out to her. She was offered a second chance.

Quickly she finds herself turned upside down, and thrown into the curious world of the Bodywalkers. They tell her left and right that she is oh so powerful and that she will be queen once the “Blending” has finalized.

BUT…

She comes to find that those who were sent to protect her, the woman also inside of her, and her future love are right out of the history books! Ram her bodyguard, and the man she feels so strongly for is Ramses the II. Cleo the beautiful, joyous, young woman who treats her so kindly is the famed Cleopatra! The beloved mate, the man she is destined to spend eternity with? Menes!

Docia must quickly learn not only what she has become, but of the ways of the Bodywalkers. To top it all off she is thrust down in a civil war between the Templar’s and the Bodywalkers. Each accusing the other for their curse, each sneering and trying to usurp the other. In the end it will be up to Docia and Ram to bring both sides together, to end the war once and for all. But will Menes listen when he finds his soul mate and his best friend have fallen in love?

Listen up! There is so much to this story that I can hardly do it justice. You have so many intertwined conflicts shoved into one book, but it all comes together perfectly. Characters were written flawlessly, and the raw emotions came out clear as day. Overall this was a pretty darn good book, and the start to a new series that I will continue to follow.

The downside? My life wasn’t disrupted completely. I was able to continuously put it down. For me this was caused by too much scene description. While there was plenty of action, romance, and suspense, I just found myself skimming a lot of the descriptive parts of the scene. But I am fully aware that a lot of readers like that part of books. Personally I am a minimalist, and it doesn’t help that I grew up not far from the books setting.

Overall I give a solid 4.5 (can I do 4.75?), and I will definitely put the authors new works as well as any previous, on my to-read list! ( )
  momgamerwriter | Feb 6, 2014 |
This review was originally published on my Alaskan Bookie Website at:

My Review
I loved this new world created by Jacquelyn Frank. It is not exactly a new world, but an introduction to new ‘creatures’ in the same world as her other ‘Nightwalkers’ series. (Guess that’s why it is called World of Nightwalkers so you will know the difference.) You could read this book without reading any of the other Nightwalker series books and not feel like you are left in the dark. This is a totally different type of Nightwalker being, one that shares two souls, called Bodywalkers. Each time one of the Bodywalkers die, it is one hundred years before they can be eligible for resurrection.

The King and Queen of the Bodywalkers have a romance that goes way back. They are so in love with each other that they cannot imagine a life without the other. Every time they are resurrected, they find each other and fall in love all over again.

It has been one hundred years since the King and Queen have walked the Earth, so their time has arrived to be resurrected. So when Docia shows up with a strong Bodywalker soul, they believe her to be their Queen, and the others know the king will not be far behind.

Because there had been no mention of the Bodywalkers in any of her previous books, I wasn’t sure that Ms. Frank was going to this series to the others, but she does. That should lead to a totally epic story when she gets all the Nightwalkers tied together. In the meantime, this was a great start for the World of the Nightwalkers series and I look forward to the next in the series.

The Narration Review
I listened to this story as an audiobook, narrated by Xe Sands. This is not the first book I have listened to narrated by Xe Sands and I am sure it won’t be the last. For those that have not heard Xe’s narration before I will tell you she has a rich voice (think dark chocolate truffles) and great diction. Just like you would expect get many different types of chocolate assorted chocolates in a box, Xe is able to bring a full cast of characters from the book into her narration.
  AlaskanBookie | Sep 23, 2013 |
Once again, this author sweeps my imagination. This has become my second favorite of her books, Rapture being my favorite.

I would say that you do not have to read the other books, but it would help to explain the world. ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |
Frank has gone back to her story telling and less of the constant bombarding of sensual or sexual scenes. Yes it is PNR but the sex is limited to a couple of times and the sexual angst is minimal.

So, has a good but light plot in the background of a true paranormal romance. Unlike Frank's Shadowdwellers, this was a PNR with a great balance between the romance and the world building and story. The story has different arcs with frequent travels to the brother who is searching for Docia. There is also the father like figure of Leo. I hope she goes for at least 4 books in this series as I can see lots of arcs of the plot. . I really like the addition of the djinn, SingSing.

Docia is spunky and takes all the craziness happening to her and around her with humor. The close relationship between her and her brother is sweet and at times funny. The resolution between Docia and Ram/Vincent was satisfying. It had a good plot with three major things going on, the brother trying to figure out where his sister was, the Bodywalkers Politic welcoming and protecting their Queen while waiting for their King, and the Templars trying to thwart the reunion. During all of this Docia and Ram/Vincent give in to their attraction and you get a very searing romance.

Yes I really liked this one and it reminded me why I read all the Nightwalker books. You do not need to read the Nightwalkers first as this stands totally on its on as a series. They do talk about the other Nightwalkers in passing, naming them and describing them as enemies. They name 6 known Nightwalkers, during the main story, hmm... Vampire, Demon, Shifter, Shadowdweller, Bodywalker, and Djinn. Well the first 3 have books in the Nightwalkers with the main emphasis on the Demons. The Shadowdwellers have their own series, 3 books, but they are more on the edge of paranormal erotica. This one comes back to the type of books the Nightwalkers are.

If you haven't read the Nightwalkers, skip the prolog as it has a very short scene of Noah's and Jacob's wives and them reading a piece on the Nightwalker separation and the 12 nations. Then they name the 6 they know of, which does not include the Djynn or the Bodywalkers but has the Mystrals and Druids and possibly adding natural born witches. So that is 8, possibly 9, between the two series. After reading this book, I wonder where Gargoyles fit in? ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon
You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
Wha most mateys call it
F'rst scribbled
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
Startin' out
What the sprogs be sayin'
Final flappin'
How these be diff'rent
Land lubbers
Original lingo

Nought

Tome description

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345517695, Mass Market Paperback)

From New York Times bestselling author Jacquelyn Frank comes this first book in The World of the Nightwalkers—an exciting and sensual new spin-off series in which the Bodywalkers, an ancient race of the night, battles the evil forces who prey on them.

The unexpected happens in an instant. On her way to work, secretary Docia Waverley hurtles into a crashing crossroads, and she quickly begins to suspect that things will never be the same. Then, when a tall, blond, muscular stranger intervenes on her behalf, telling her it is his duty to protect her at all cost, what is just a feeling turns to proof positive. That is, as long as Docia’s savior doesn’t turn out to be a crazed kidnapper.

When Ram finds Docia, he has no doubt that she is his queen. But as this golden warrior sweeps in to protect her, he feels something more than body heat every time they touch. He is overwhelmed by a searing connection that goes deep into the twin souls inside him. A desire rises in him that is forbidden—this woman is his queen, the mate of his king, his leader, his best friend. And yet Docia is so vulnerable and attractive that she awakens a hunger in Ram that is undeniable, a carnal craving he cannot yield to . . . not without risking the very survival of the Bodywalkers.

(raided from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:47 -0400)

While protecting Docia Waverly, the mate of his king and best friend, warrior Ram feels a deep connection with her, and must decide whether it is worth the risk to succumb to the forbidden passion that rages between them.

Pillage Etomes Audio
173 wanted2 pay4 pay

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (3.9)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Forbidden by Jacquelyn Frank was plundered from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,198 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible