Molder of Dreams by Guy Rice Doud

Molder of Dreams (edition 1999)

by Guy Rice Doud

Member:AbidingPeace
Title:Molder of Dreams
Authors:Guy Rice Doud
Info:Living Books (1999), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:Inspirational

Molder of Dreams by Guy Rice Doud

Guy Doud grew up in Staples, Minnesota, a small town that never gets the recognition it deserves. Its neighbor, Lake Wobegon seems to have grabbed the national spotlight. That doesn't deter Guy from regaling the reader with stories of what it's like to grow up in a town where the police are alerted to a problem by a light on top of the water tower. A master storyweaver, Guy recounts growing up in the warmth of love and freshly baked oatmeal revel cookies. But all wasn't sweetness and light in the Doud household. Both Guy's parents were alcoholics. While his mother quietly fought her addiction, his father's black moods disrupted and frightened the family. Even in grade school, Guy realized the many inadequacies of his life -- his family was too poor to take a vacation, he was obese, he wasn't a particularly good student, and his desk was always a mess. Guy was picked last for kickball. The encouraging and discouraging messages Guy received about himself taught him that we all mold one another's dreams. We all hold each others' fragile hopes in our hands. We all touch others' hearts.
  OCMCCP | Jan 12, 2018 |
Recommended to me by Jennifer McGuire, my principal. I love the book so far. I read this book the summer of 08. I thought the book was wonderful until the end. I found the ending quite dissapointing because as most of us teachers who really try to meet the personal needs of our students are not awarded with a National Teacher award. I feel that some of the best teachers do not get awards. I would have been able to relate to the book more if the main charachter was a "normal" teacher like me. ( )
  melissagagnon | Jun 27, 2008 |
Highly recommended. You simply cannot read or listen to Guy Doud speak without becoming motivated to succeed. This book would make a great gift to any teacher. ( )
  bethritter | May 16, 2008 |
This has been one of my favorite motivational videos. It inspired me to become a teacher. ( )
  bemmerling | Jan 7, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 092960895X, Paperback)

Guy Doud, National Teacher of the year in 1986, has written an entertaining and moving book, autobiographical in nature, that asserts the power people have to mold one another's dreams and to forward or undermine others' hopes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:23 -0400)

Former Teacher of the Year, Guy Doud, shares his inspiring stories; one is Guy's stirring and humorous narrative of his own childhood and how it affected the way he teaches ; the other is the account of one of Guy's students, Kent Soderman, a spirited young man courageously battling cancer.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,205,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible