John's Secret Dreams: The John Lennon…

John's Secret Dreams: The John Lennon Story

by Doreen Rappaport

As a huge fan of John Lennon, I loved this book. It was a biography of Johns life told through words and his lyrics. I recommend this to anyone who loves John Lennon and grades 3 and up! ( )
  aloupe | Apr 21, 2014 |
I've become familiar with the Beatles only about 4 years ago. I had heard their music, known that they are legends, and have many friends and family members that are absolutely crazy about them. Once I finally started listening to their music, I was pretty much just doing it to get people off my back for not knowing that "Don't Let Me Down" and "With A Little Help From My Friends" are very popular Beatles songs. So I decided to give them a try. Their songs are fun, sad, and absolutely legendary, but I couldn't see myself listening to them all the time. John's Secret Dreams: The John Lennon Story is written with using Lennon's Biographical information as well as lyrics from his songs. The biographical information gives so much more depth to the lyrics and for the first time, I began listening to the Beatles for myself and I finally Get It. You can feel the lives of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr in the music if you just do their music a favor and learn about their lives. The illustrations are done by Bryan Collier who, prior to being asked to illustrate this book, had been very unfamiliar with the music of the Beatles. He listened to Lennon's music and watched and read interviews and the result has a very "Beatles-y" feel to it. This book would not necessarily be the first I would choose to share with a classroom, but if a student were researching John Lennon or the Beatles, I would absolutely suggest it. ( )
  jpmorales92 | Nov 1, 2012 |
John Lennon was a music legend. Not every young reader may be able to recognize him, but some day they will definitely become familiar with him. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as I too got to learn more about Lennon's past. I liked how specific lyrics were chosen to complement the specific point in his life, as if those lyrics where wrote about that event in his life. I also noticed that the illustrations started to become more wild as the Beatles started to become more obscure and experimental with their music and lyrics. The back pages have important dates such as when singles where released and other important events, all the albums, and all the sources, which I appreciate. This biography showed the true side of John, in his endless search of happiness and how he finds it. ( )
  BarrettOlivia | Oct 15, 2012 |
interesting look at john's lyrics.
  mahallett | Jul 8, 2012 |
This book is about the life of John Lennon and his want for world peace. Would be a good book when teaching kids about famous people in history or famous musicians. ( )
  lekenned | Nov 30, 2011 |

John Lennon's influence on music and culture is legendary. From a young age he dreamed of fame and fortune. When he achieved it as one of the Beatles, he recognized the need for a deeper meaning in life. His inner search for happiness shaped his life and brought new dimension to the world of rock 'n' roll.

As a follow-up to their award-winning title, Martin's Big Words, Doreen Rappaport and Bryan Collier present John Lennon's life through a combination of narrative and song lyrics, cut-paper collage and watercolor art-capturing the energy and the essence of a man whose vision and creative genius continue to inspire people today.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:21 -0400)

Introduces the life of John Lennon who, as a member of the Beatles and as a solo artist, sought to make the world a better and more peaceful place than the one in which he was raised.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible