The IBD Healing Plan and Recipe Book by…

The IBD Healing Plan and Recipe Book (edition 2012)

by Christie A. Korth, Christine Petras (Foreword)

2719402,159 (3.88)5
Member:sturlington
Title:The IBD Healing Plan and Recipe Book
Authors:Christie A. Korth
Other authors:Christine Petras (Foreword)
Info:
Collections:Lending library
Rating:***
Tags:IBD--Diet therapy, Recipes

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The IBD Healing Plan and Recipe Book is an indispensable reference for anyone suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, or any number of other digestive disorders that require adjustments to diet in order to avoid severe digestive distress. Author Christie Korth provides a detailed analysis of the various aspects of managing digestive disorders as well as a full spectrum of tempting recipes. The recipe section is easy to access, with edge-highlighting to differentiate those pages from the expository and reference matter.

In the first section of the book, readers will find information on the signs and symptoms of various digestive disorders, ways to determine food intolerances, and descriptions of the types of treatments available. Korth also provides a practical plan for identifying and eliminating problem foods and adjusting diet and health regimens to eliminate flare-ups. The 112-page recipe section includes new takes on old (and problematic) favourites as well as creative new dishes to tempt reluctant palates into trying new foods. The book closes with a full list of excellent resources for testing, supplementation, and homeopathic remedies. The Notes section is extremely useful, with its exhaustive list of written references for more in-depth reading.

Most compelling are the author’s anecdotes about her own battle with, and eventual victory over, her IBD. This book should be on the shelf of every person who suffers with, or who lives with someone who suffers with, IBD. ( )
  Editormum | Sep 7, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book in January's giveaway. I read it very slowly due to my crazy schedule but I liked it. The author talks about her own experiences with Crohn's and the book went beyond my expectations. It is very informative and handles the topic very well. ( )
  ChattyCeeKay | Jul 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I entered the give-away for this book thinking it would be a good one to read with my husband. We thought he might have IBD for a while. Turns out it was Celiacs instead, be that as it may, much of the book was still helpful to us. A lot of the information was just as pertinent. I appreciated the ease of organisation and general mindset of the book. In the beginning having recipes was a big help. As we became more accustomed to his new restrictions we needed them less and less, but it's nice to have a strong recipe base to work from. I recommend the book for those who are just beginning their nutritional journey or looking to spice up an established routine. Thank you for the opportunity to read it. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Jun 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) is no laughing matter to the people suffering with this disorder and this book gives the reader information on how to determine which foods may cause problems and how to avoid them. Although this book includes dozens of great recipes and beverages it is more than a regular cook book. It asks important questions and gives the reader tips and suggestions on living and feeling better. I found the book to be helpful. ( )
  Chris177 | May 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like how this book is organized, first she talks about what IBD is, and what conventional and holistic treatments are available, Then she counsels on how to identify your food triggers. I appreciate that she included a section on supplements, not all books of this type do that. She has a lengthy section on recipes, and I really like the recipes because they are simple yet very flavorful ( )
  erickandow | Apr 8, 2013 |
For those suffering from Crohn's or IBD this book provides an overview of research relative to managing the diseases as well as recipes to help prepare appropriate food. My husband has difficulty with his digestion and he found several useful suggestions in this book. It was an easy read and I plan to pass it on to a colleague with Crohn's. While I haven't tried any of the recipes, a quick scan suggests that many may be good. My motto is that healthy eating is good for all of us whether or not we suffer from Crohn's.
added by ekdanielson | editEarly Review, Elizabeth (Jan 27, 2013)

Nearly 1.4 million Americans suffer from inflammatory bowel disease and this number climbs every year. Christie Korth, a nutrition expert, helps those with Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis understand their food intolerances and lays out a holistic approach to dealing with their IBD that can help them lead healthy and pain-free lives. Korth also helps the reader explore the possibility of emotional involvement in the disease onset, making this the first book to address both the nutritional and the emotional factors of the disease.

Korth herself suffered IBD and writes with insight, supplementing the nutritional and lifestyle information in the book with her own account of achieving wellness. She also includes stories of IBD relief told by those who have worked with her. The compassionate tone, understanding, and humor in this book offer emotional support for the reader, which is a key component for his or her recovery.

Much of the focus of the book is on nutrition, and Korth introduces and explains menu planning, food choices, the concept of heating and cooling foods, common Crohn’s disease drug side effects and how to counter act them nutritionally, acid/alkaline imbalance and the major one--food intolerance. The nutritional information is enhanced by a thorough discussion of beneficial vitamins, herbs, natural chemicals that readers can take to supplement their diets. Korth shares tips on what to buy and how to take certain supplements, giving readers a complete idea of the nutritional options available to them.

In addition to the groundbreaking information on digestive wellness, this book contains 100 recipes suitable for those with IBD. All recipes — for everything from beverages to vegetables, from salad to dessert — are free of the top eight common allergens. There are recipes that are supportive to those having a flare up, and lists of foods you should eat and foods you should avoid. The book is also complete with shopping substitution cards for those who have food intolerance. Along with the abundance of recipes, Korth includes daily ideas for lunches “on the go” so busy readers can eat convenient, healthy meals.
The book also includes sample menus, exercises, worksheets, and personal habit quizzes that can help readers reflect on their own habits and explore the benefits of committing to digestive health. Illustrations, photos, and charts enhance the book’s message, and a directory of helpful websites directs readers to further information.

The IBD Healing Plan and Recipe Book gives readers the knowledge they need to manage their pain and offers companionate emotional support during the process. The book does not advocate a “one size fits all” solution, nor does it leave readers reliant on prescription drugs or surgery. Its recipe and diet advice allows readers to achieve digestive health. Though Korth is not claiming to cure IBD, she believes that with appropriate intervention, there is great hope for someone to live symptom-free using natural methods.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:39 -0400)

"In addition to vital information on digestive wellness, this book contains 99 delicious recipes suitable for those with IBD. The recipes range from beverages to vegetables, salads to desserts"--P. [4] of cover.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The IBD Healing Plan and Recipe Book: Using Whole Foods to Relieve Crohn's Disease and Colitis by Christie A. Korth was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible