Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building by…

Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building (edition 2012)

by Christy Hale

Member:araknonfic
Title:Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building
Authors:Christy Hale
Info:Lee & Low Books (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Kid, Youth, Architecture, Building, Play, Poetry, Art, Notable

Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building by Christy Hale

I judge books by their covers, and didn't feel I would be all that into this book celebrating building, but it really took me by surprise. Stunning! Fifteen different buildings are reviewed, from the Guggenheim to the Paper Tube School. Each school gets a two-page spread that features a photo of the building on one page and a poem and illustration of children at play on the other. The poems celebrate the architectural style and feel, while the illustration shows the architecture of the building reflected in children's constructions made while they play.

It is amazing to see children making popsicle stick structures and then to see that side-by-sie with the Sclera Pavilion in London -- the resemblance is amazing! It is a visual statement about the importance of childhood play. This book is a YHBA picture book nominee for 2014-2015. Five out of five stars. ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
A beautiful introduction to architecture. Shape poems accompany pictures of children building, with photos of related architecture on the facing page. Very cleverly done! I want to use this at the beginning of our architecture unit for third grade. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
Five stars for the concept, the photos, and the back matter, three stars for the execution of everything else. The poems in particular added the least for me. I thought the connections between the children's building materials and the photographs were exciting enough to not need any extra underlining from the poems. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
Clever, celebratory, and child-friendly. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |

"A collection of concrete poetry, illustrations, and photographs that shows how young children's constructions, created as they play, are reflected in notable works of architecture from around the world. Includes biographies of the architects, quotations, and sources"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,333,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible