Virgin: The Untouched History by Hanne Blank

Virgin: The Untouched History

by Hanne Blank

This is a fascinating look at virginity, both the medical/scientific aspects and the cultural/social issues surrounding it. I especially enjoyed the science/medical portion of the book as much of this information was new to me. The author talks about the physical characteristics of the hymen and why so little is really known about it. I was more familiar with the cultural issues discussed in the second half of the book, and I think the author did a good job of compiling and contextualizing these issues. Very interesting read. ( )
  LynnB | May 19, 2017 |
I picked this book up because it seemed like an interesting subject, from a female perspective. The book was indeed very interesting. It explores the concept and perception of virginity from sociological, biological and historical perspectives. What struck me over and over again is how the concept of virginity is used to control women, in one way or another. I found the parts of the book focused on modern times to be the most interesting, and I would have liked the author to explore other concepts, such as purity balls (the concept of which creeps me out). Very enjoyable for women or readers looking for quirky non-fiction. ( )
  LISandKL | Aug 20, 2014 |
Kindof a neat idea. I assume it's about me, since I have a history of being a virgin.
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
Erudite, well-written, and wide-ranging, this is a lovely examination of the intersections of gender, religion, and medicine. Highly recommended. ( )
  cricketbats | Mar 30, 2013 |
This was an interesting history of virginity in Western culture, how it's been defined over the years, the standards women have been held to. An interesting read – I wonder if Blank has written other books? ( )
  Heduanna | Aug 5, 2012 |

"In this social history, historian Hanne Blank illuminates the history of virginity in Western culture. How did virginity come to mean so much to our culture, and have so much power in our individual lives? Blank probes the shape and scope of the question, analyzing attempts to find out what constitutes virginity's loss (a task that only seems simple), and cataloging the myriad ways it has been tested and contested, guarded and faked and even restored. In the process she shows us what we do and don't know about virginity and reveals a great deal about just why humans have come to care so much about this fundamentally intangible state in the first place."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Hanne Blank is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,483,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible