Violet Midnight by Lynn Rush

Violet Midnight (edition 2012)

by Lynn Rush

203515,329 (4.67)None
Member:UFReviews
Title:Violet Midnight
Authors:Lynn Rush
Info:Crescent Moon Press (2012), Paperback, 254 pages
Rating:*****

Violet Midnight by Lynn Rush

Violet Midnight is the beginning of new series that I am looking forward to reading; I found I quite enjoyed Lynn Rush’s writing. The plot, characters, and over all flow of the story was written extremely well, I found myself wrapped up in the novel and read it in one afternoon. I cannot wait to read the next book in this series.

So we meet Emma who is attending college by day and fighting vampires by night. She likes to keep a low profile at school and only hanging out with a few friends. This story has a different twist on how Emma hunts vampires; she gets a warning sign from her tattoo on her arm. When the vampires are around Emma’s tattoo’s lights up and she heads off to protect her college campus. Things are changing and Emma is wondering why all the sudden it seems like the vampires are attacking in clusters, with no one to ask and no one to talk too Emma realizes she may have to be a bit more careful. There is a lot more to the story the author shares with the reader how Emma became a hunter and some of her past experiences and you understand why Emma keeps to herself, but being alone is hard on her.

During a house party Emma meets a handsome young man name Jake and there is an instant attraction. Jake watches Emma and happens to see her fighting with three large men, Jake ends up saving Emma from drowning in the pool. Jake doesn’t know all that is going on but he does know that Emma and he may have a few things in common.

As Jake and Emma get to know each other you can feel a great romance starting to blossom, but of course nothing goes that smoothly. Jake’s tattoos are a bit different and he learns there may be darkness around his. Jake and Emma will have to learn to trust each other and have faith in their feelings. When Jake’s parent’s shows up things begin to change and Emma knows she cannot lose him.

Violet Midnight was a fun read, Emma is protective of her roommate, scared of loving and losing people close to her, she is smart independent and one tough woman. I have rated Violet Midnight a 4 star rating and would recommend anyone who loves to read about vampires and vampire hunters this is great novel and series to read.
  TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |
Original review here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2013/04/bewitching-book-tours-presents-indie...

Violet Midnight follows a young woman named Emma. She has been chosen to be a Hunter. She hunts and destroys vampires. She is the only one of her kind, so she tries her best to make sure no one knows of her special powers and the things that go bump in the night. One day she while being forced to go on a party with her best friend Ava, she meets a guy named Jake. Emma does her best to avoid guys due to her past, but there I something about him. They soon find out that they are more alike than they think. Jake is also a Hunter, but his mark is much different from hers. They know they are destined for each other though. But their destiny may not be as romantic as they initially thought.

This book was awesome!!! I read it in a day. Rush definitely has herself a new fan. I loved this. Emma is my kind of heroine. She was so cool and such a badass. But I also loved her vulnerabilities and all she does to take care of those around her. I loved her friendship with her best friend Ava. They were so different, but they worked well together. I did have a little issue with this though. Since they were such best friends, I didn’t understand why Emma wouldn’t tell Ava about what she is and what she does. Ava would find out and Emma would constantly wipe her mind of the events. She never gives her chance to adjust to it. She didn’t run out screaming and saying you are nuts or anything. Give her chance. She does ask whether too many mind wipes would damage her. Stop doing it so you won’t have to find out woman!

I loved Jake in this book as well. I really enjoyed that we got the chance to see things from his perspective as well. He knows that his mark means chaos, but he knows he must be like Emma. She has a mark too on her wrist that is the source of her power and lets her know that vampires are near. But his mark doesn’t work like hers and it seems to cause lapses in his memory. I was scared to find out what it meant exactly. But man, it is a big one. I was screaming at the book at this point. Oh Rush, you killed me. So unfair! We also some other characters specifically Dylan and Cynthia. I liked them, but I couldn't shake the feeling something was up with them. They really loved each other, but it seemed they were connected by something else. This was interesting for sure.

The story flowed very well. From the get go, I was engulfed in it from the very beginning. I was so curious about the characters and what they will discover about each other. They know that Jake's mark is different and they were destined somehow to find each other. But the unraveling was crazy. Like I said, unfair. I loved the development between Emma and Jake. They were smoldering together from the very beginning. I loved how much they helped each other especially when everything hits the fan. And boy does it hit the fan.

Definitely read this book. It is an addictive read to say the least. The characters are worth rooting for especially Jake given his issue. Emma and Jake are to die for. You will breeze through this. It is fast paced and full of lots of action and romance. If you are like me and you were addicted to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this read will be right up your alley. Rush really knows how to grab your attention and not let go. This is an incredible start to a trilogy. I am itching for Violet Dawn (book 2). Add this to your wishlist now. ( )
  harleyquinn0887 | Apr 5, 2013 |
I'm a little biased, because I already liked Lynn Rush's writing long before I picked up this book. I'm not sure how she does it, but there is never really a point in any of her books I've read where the story lags. The pace is always right on point and they suck you in to the point where you want to read the book in one sitting, and then get made you don't have the next book in the series in front of you to read.
This book is no different. Once again, the pacing is really great. It felt like every scene in the book, every POV, was necessary and compelled the story forward. It was really easy to take a liking to Emma. I really like strong women who are protective of those around her but don't let men control them. In fact if anything Emma is the last person on earth who would let a man control her.
I do have to admit I did take a bit longer to like Jake, and it wasn't really anything against him, he's a good guy, it just took me longer in the book to really identify with him and start pulling for him as a character. I think maybe part of it was how strong his instant connection to Emma was, but when you get further along in the book everything starts to click and make sense.
But back to Emma and her amazing kick-butt attitude. Like I said I love when the chick is the one kicking butt and taking names. And what I really loved about Emma is that she was actually the one training and pushing Jake to be a better Hunter. Another thing I really liked about Emma is that no matter what she was true to herself and her beliefs. She has a great head on her shoulders.
I like Ava, Emma's roommate, and there were a couple of other good secondary characters along the way. But I really liked Ava the most, I can totally see how she and Emma are such good friends. And I really hope she continues to play a role in the coming books for this series.
I don't want to be too spoilery so I don't want to talk to much about the bad guys, but I am guessing if you read the synopsis you know they are Vamps. And of course the big bads in the book aren't going to be your everyday Vamp, oh no, they pack a bit of a punch, and they have quite the history behind them. Although by the end of the book you (as well as Emma and Jake) get the feeling that there is something more going on behind the scenes that they just don't know about yet.
For some readers, I know you are a bit vampired out. I get it. I myself have suffered from vampire fatigue syndrome. But I do love a good vampire book, and what makes a good vampire book is when the author takes the run of the mill vampire lore and makes it into something unique, just for their books. And I felt like Lynn did a good job with this. From mysterious mystical tattoo, to prophecies, to their various strengths and weakness, it all makes for a good book; not to mention Emma isn't a Vamp she's a Hunter who is going to take down every Vamp she finds. I get the feeling there aren't going to be any warm and fluffy "misunderstood" vampires in this series.
Long story short, I think this a great read. For anyone who likes Urban Fantasy, this is a great and fast paced book load with action. For anyone who is a big fan of Paranormal Romance, to say the chemistry between Emma and Jake is hot would be a gross understatement. So if you are looking for a book or a new author to try out, I seriously recommend this one and anything written by Lynn Rush! ( )
  UFReviews | Nov 21, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193725481X, Paperback)

Let the Hunt begin...
Pursuing a normal existence by attending college proves difficult for vampire Hunter, Emma Martin, considering the mystical tattoo on her wrist glows whenever Vamps are near. And after three months of silence, the glow is back with a vengeance.
Jake Cunningham witnesses Emma using her powers and reveals a few of his own. Finally, after three years of searching, he realizes his newfound abilities must mean he's a Hunter like Emma. Thankful not to be alone in the fight against the Vamps, Emma finds hope and comfort in Jake's arms.
As she learns more about her new love's family and its dark heritage, she may be forced not only to hunt them, but also to sacrifice her life to save Jake's soul.
***A portion of all proceeds benefits cancer treatment & awareness***

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:53 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,732,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible