Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 Volume 2:…
1208100,400 (3.74)8
Member:davidscarter
Title:Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 Volume 2: On Your Own
Authors:Andrew Chambliss
Other authors:Scott Allie, Georges Jeanty, Cliff Richards, Karl Story, Andy Owens3 more, Dexter Vines, Scott Allie (Editor), Sierra Hahn (Editor)
Info:Dark Horse (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 144 pages
Rating:***1/2

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 Volume 2: On Your Own by Andrew Chambliss

*Book source ~ Library

From Goodreads:
With the Scooby gang on the skids, Buffy finds herself increasingly alone. When faced with some tough decisions grounded in “real world” problems (i.e., not the slaying of pesky demons), Buffy is determined to make her own choices, but that doesn’t mean she won't need a little handholding along the way. Cue Spike, compelled to stand by his best friend in her moment of need. Together they'll tackle the increasing zompire population and a rogue Slayer out for blood. Collects Buffy Season 9 #6–#10; and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: In Space No One Can Hear You Slay!” from Free Comic Book Day 2012.

Well, shit. How do I write this review without giving anything away about the real world problem or that fucking ridiculous twist? *keyboard meets forehead, repeatedly* There is a lot of Spike in this volume and that’s the only reason I gave it the rating I did. Because I love me some Spike. Nom nom nom! Otherwise, it’s so damn stupid I can’t…words fail me. Detective Dowling is proving to be interesting. I hope to see more of him. Andrew’s involved in this one, but he’s responsible for the dumbass twist, so he’s on my shit list. And damn, why can’t they kill Simone already?! In a totally inconsequential side note, I wish Buffy had kept the pink streaks in her hair. I liked them. Also, I give the artwork two thumbs up. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | May 9, 2016 |
The Good: A lot of well loved characters show up in this volume - Spike! Andrew! Robin! And a lot of heavy issues mixed with wacky situations. This volume is very close to the show, in that it has some great stuff going on, some weird stuff going on, and some what-drugs-where-the-writers-on kind of stuff thrown in for good measure. We don't get a lot of plot progression, but we do get a deeper look at where the characters are now and what the driving force is that's motivating their choices.

The Bad: Glossed over too-drunk-to-consent rape. An inexcusable choice in any form, but especially offensive coming from a series known for female empowerment. ( )
  TequilaReader | Nov 18, 2015 |
Summary: In Volume 2, "On Your Own", Buffy has a pregnancy test turn up positive, so she is forced to take a minute to confront the possibility of a normal life, a normal family, whether these are things that she can have, or if they're things she actually wants, and whether things like "normal" can coexist with being the Slayer, even in a world without magic.

Review: I think Season 9 was a lot stronger than Season 8. Not every single thing Buffy does has to be preventing a world-ending apocalypse (although it usually works out that way) and I think that by keeping her storyline a little smaller and her motivations more focused (figure out life, navigate relationships, deal with a changed world, kill vampires, protect the people you love), the writers managed to keep the series reigned in to a more manageable scope, and kept it feeling more like the TV show and less like a trip to crazy-town. One of the key differences, I thought, was that S8 had a lot of stuff that felt like the writers were doing it because they didn't have to worry about special effects budgets anymore, so they could have all the special effects they wanted. On the other hand, there was very little in S9 that felt like it was something that couldn't have been filmed, which is I think how comics should be: a little something extra that we can't get from TV, but not so much that it loses touch with the spirit of the original series. And the Buffy comics, particularly S9, are good about keeping the flavor of the original. The characters all sound like themselves, even as they grow and change in response to what's happened in their lives. The patter of the dialogue still flows the same. The characters… don't quite look the same (in the panels, at least; the cover paintings are quite realistic), but that's not new to this season, and at least they're all consistently identifiable (except for Andrew, who in my opinion is probably the character that looks the farthest from the actor). So overall, I really enjoyed these; they've got the signature Buffy mix of humor and heart and supernatural ass-kicking, all while sticking a little closer to the types of stories that made the series so great. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: I can't imagine these comics making a lot of sense to someone who hasn't seen the whole series and read season 8 (and maybe some other stuff as well; this season involved some Angel references, and probably some things from the other Buffyverse comics that I don't read that went right over my head.) But for fans of the show, this season is a lot more satisfying than S8. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jun 2, 2014 |
vol. 2
  hapaxes | Dec 27, 2013 |
Nice not to have to leave the Buffy-verse just yet, but S9 doesn't quite hold one's attention the way that S8 did. Still worth a read though. ( )
  District13 | Apr 16, 2013 |

With the Scooby gang on the skids, Buffy finds herself increasingly alone. When faced with some tough decisions grounded in "real world" problems (i.e., not the slaying of pesky demons), Buffy is determined to make her own choices, but that doesn't mean she won't need a little handholding along the way. Cue Spike, compelled to stand by his best friend in her moment of need. Together the''ll tackle the increasing zompire population and a rogue Slayer out for blood.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,868,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible