Desert Rice by Angela Scott

Desert Rice (edition 2012)

by Angela Scott

Member:BookWormRflects
Title:Desert Rice
Authors:Angela Scott
Info:Evolved Publishing (2012), Paperback, 188 pages
Rating:*****

Desert Rice by Angela Scott

Desert Rice is flawlessly written. Somewhat disturbing, but also emotionally captivating. (I received this for free and have written my honest opinion about it.)

---
This review was taken from my post, "Book Reviews: 8 Books, Various Genres"
http://sittiecateslovestories.blogspot.com/2014/01/book-reviews-8-books-various-... ( )
  SittieCates | Jan 12, 2014 |
Desert Rice by Angela Scott

Ok I am not really even sure what to say about this book, I picked it up today to read and never put it down once. Angela Scott has written a fantastic novel. I cannot express how much I enjoyed this story and Angela Scott's writing.

Where to begin but I suppose at the beginning, we are introduced quickly to Sam and her brother Jacob moving their dead mother into their trailer. Once they get the body where they want Jacob informs Sam that its time to leave. Packing as much as they could they take off in the family car. During the trip Jacob informs Sam that she has to dress more like a boy and he cuts off her hair and makes her wear baggy clothes. He doesn't want anything to happen to her, he needs to protect her and keep her safe.

Chills went up my back knowing there is more to this story and I have to admit it was well worth the read. Angela Scott has written a story that is heartbreaking and yet I couldn't stop reading. God I can't tell you how many tears I had to wipe away from my eyes so I could continue Desert Rice.

It is a must read and I have rated it a 5 star rating and I would rate it 10 if I could. It was terrific, fantastic, heart wrenching..OMG just go buy it and see for yourself no words will express how much this story is worth reading. You end up loving Sam and want to just hug her and Jacob for trying to do everything a 15 year old boy could do to keep his sister safe.

DISCLOSURE – *Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorcements and Testimonials in Advertising* ( )
  TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |
This was a uniquely different and rather difficult book to read. Difficult because the angst created with the tension from both the writing and story-line were constant companions: it grabbed me by the throat and wouldn’t let go. Yes, it is beautifully written and the characters come to life in front of your eyes, but continue to amaze, frighten and astound you as the story continues. Whether it was too easy to envision the circumstances and situations, or the instant empathy and need to protect that comes from a parenting side, this book is an emotional rollercoaster ride.
The author has created a tightly written drama, while the characters of Samantha and Jacob are young, and this is easily and readily tossed into the ‘coming of age’ pile because of that; they are not just children or teens – they are thrust into situations that would cause many adults to crumble. And yet – their love for each other, the protectiveness and support that can be found only in brother and sister relationships is the glue that holds the story together. Crafted with a conclusion that is succinct and unexpected, yet leaving an opening for further explanation this is a book that will stay on your mind for days after completion. A very good thing.

I received an eBook from IOB Tours for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review, and all conclusions are my own responsibility.
  IamIndeed | Mar 29, 2013 |
Desert Rice
By Angela Scott

Samantha Jean Haggert is on the run with her brother Jacob after her mother dies. They must stick together since Sam is only twelve and Jacob fifteen they will do anything they can to keep from having Child Protective Services separate them. Since Sam begins to draw too much unwanted attention from men Jacob has her cut off all her hair and hides her beauty under baggy clothes and a baseball cap. But everything begins to unravel when they finally find people whom want them to become part of their family and the truth may tear them all apart.

Angela Scott has written an emotional rollercoaster of a novel with such a surprising twist towards the end that will make you cringe and cry out at the injustice of what has happened. I loved it, my husband on the other hand decided headphones was the way to go after some of the more heinous secrets where revealed. I say this more to point out that it may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it does have one of the best ending I have come across in a long time. I am trying to be as vague as possible so I will not give anything away but also to do this novel justice, it is truly an amazing read so well written and emotional charged that it is hard to set down. Warning though you may want a big box of tissues at hand just in case you turn into a geyser, it’s that good.

For More Reviews be sure to visit my blogs at:
http://bookwormrflects8.blogspot.com/ ( )
  BookWormRflects | Nov 14, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,257,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible