The Hunt for Atlantis: A Novel by Andy…

The Hunt for Atlantis: A Novel (2007)

by Andy McDermott

English (24)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (26)
I love books about archaeological quests, so I’d hoped for a bit more from this book. There was lots of chases and gunfire but not enough archaeology for my tastes. Also, I found the ending a bit hard to believe, at least the plot denouement at any rate .

Still, I own book two and because I like one main character, and want to kick the other, I’ll probably listen to it as well. ( )
  majkia | Aug 6, 2013 |
This was a great novel. If you are a fan of James Rollins and Indiana Jones then this novel will thrill you. I loved the action and the history and the budding romance between Nina and Eddie and I look forward to the rest of the books. ( )
  pagei | Aug 13, 2012 |
Archaeologist Nina Wilde is 100% sure that she’s located the lost city of Atlantis but unfortunately her none of her superiors at her university believe her and they aren’t willing to fund her expedition to prove her theory is correct. Enter billionaire Kristian Frost. Frost not only funds the expedition but sends his daughter Kari and bodyguard Eddie Chase to keep Nina safe. But even before their journey begins danger is lurking around every corner.

I knew going into the book that The Hunt for Atlantis was going to be pure cheese. So knowing that I enjoyed the fast-paced action and following the group from one remote location to another. What I didn’t like very much was the villain in the story. He was way too over the top with his scheming. It just didn’t mix well with the rest of the story for me.

I also had no clue that this was book one of the Nina Wilde/Eddie Chase series of which there are 8 books written so far so the ending was a big surprise. I’m pretty sure I’ll read the next installment, The Tomb of Hercules, but maybe after I let this one settle for a while. Recommended as a library read for anyone who loves suspense thrillers. ( )
  24girl | Mar 9, 2012 |
I give this a higher rating than I would expect to simply because it is better written than it needs to be. The plot is a page turner, but ultimately silly. The Great Scary Bad Guys Plot, if one takes only a moment to think about the ramifications, is absurd. However, it did keep me turning the pages, and kept me awake through a long airplane flight.

I kept thinking that it was one step away from a screenplay, with a lot of the dialogue right out of buddy movies. Then I found out the author had been a film critic. Figures. I doubt if I'll seek out any more of his books, but if one fell into my hands (as this one did) I'd read it. ( )
  PhaedraB | Aug 9, 2011 |
I enjoy reading thrillers, the well-written ones that keep me turning the page even when I know I have to major league suspend belief. I have sort of stopped reading Clive Cussler because I want Dirk to just take a nap...he keeps going even after multiple beatings, running for what seems like days on end, never tiring....take a nap Dirk, dagnabbit!

Nina and Eddie actually get some rest from time to time and the action is almost non-stop, but is believable with a weensie bit of suspension of that there belief. I really like the chemistry and growing camaraderie of the pair.

I have been fascinated with the Atlantis legend for what seems like forever. The search for the lost city, the good guys trying to keep ahead of the bad ones, some very cool explosions, Nina learning how to climb through a sewer, Eddie's snarks....Nina's comebacks....

Five lost city thriller fun beans...... ( )
  Squeex | Jun 6, 2011 |
For my family and friends
The sun had not yet risen above the Himalayan peaks, but Henry Wilde was already awake.

It's one of history's most enduring and controversial legends--the lost city of Atlantis. Archaeologist Nina Wilde is certain she's solved the riddle of its whereabouts--and with the help of reclusive billionaire Kristian Frost, his beautiful daughter, Kari, and ex-SAS bodyguard Eddie Chase, she's about to make the most important discovery in centuries. But not everyone wants them to succeed: a powerful and mysterious organization will stop at nothing to ensure that a secret submerged for 11,000 years never resurfaces.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible