Shattered (Alaskan Courage) by Dani Pettrey

Shattered (Alaskan Courage) (edition 2013)

by Dani Pettrey

Member:TammyPhillips
Title:Shattered (Alaskan Courage)
Authors:Dani Pettrey
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2013), Paperback, 368 pages

Shattered (Alaskan Courage) by Dani Pettrey

Submerged (Alaskan Courage) by Dani Pettrey (misshiss)
    misshiss: Very well written with plenty of suspense, mystery and a touch of romance. My kind of book.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A pretty good book. The suspense/mystery kept me intrigued and made me want to keep reading. And while that part of the book could be read as a standalone, the relationships between the characters all make much more sense if you read the first book first. I enjoyed the relationship between the two main characters and the author hinted at the relationship for the next book, which has me wanting to read it as soon as possible. ( )
  LSS312 | Jul 29, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
this is the second book in the Alaskan Courage series by Dani Pettrey. Although i found the connection between Landon and Piper a little odd the suspence of the murder investigation was great. I thought that the relationship that was built between Landon and piper felt rushed and awkward like it was a hurry up deal. I did enjoy the way the investigation unrolled and the minor curveballs that threw them off the path. In all I found the book hard to put down and enjoyable to read. ( )
  mookiekat | Mar 25, 2014 |
I read this book in a day or so because I didn't want to put it down. I had to keep reading it because from the beginning of the book I was hooked. The author does a great job of making you want to read the book and keeping you on the edge of your seat. I felt like I was right there with the characters through the book. There are some books where I can figure out what is going to happen but with this book I couldn't figure out what was going to happen and that always makes the book good. I love when I can't figure it out and this author does a great job of that. ( )
  mattidw | Dec 17, 2013 |
I have to admit that I was reluctant to start Shattered by Dani Pettrey. You see, although numerous bloggers have loved Dani Pettrey’s books, I was less than impressed with the first book in this series, Submerged. And while I didn’t hate it, the book just didn’t grab me. But Shattered had been sitting on the shelf too long and I really needed to get a review out about it, so . . . . Boy am I glad I picked it up! I loved it and think you will too.

The McKenna family is back in the second installment of the Alaskan Courage series. In Shattered, long absent brother Reef has been accused of murder. There is overwhelming physical and eyewitness evidence that makes his case look open and shut. But Piper believes he is innocent and sets out to prove it. Joined by long time family friend Landon, the two set out on an adventurous trip to discover murder victim Karli’s secrets and to uncover the real killer. Their efforts are met with silence, hostility and real threats.

I would say Shattered is an edgy romantic suspense novel. Pettrey does not shy away from the physical attraction of the characters, nor real life doubts and fears. The characters are a mix of McKenna siblings and others they have let into their family circle. Some are believers; others are openly skeptical or adamantly opposed to God. This allows for interesting conflicts and discussions between them. The romantic element is front and center, but the suspenseful turns of the story keep it in balance. And while Shattered wrapped up its story line, there is definitely more material for future books. Shattered is book 2 in the series, but can be read as a standalone. The back story between the characters is covered and doesn’t get in the way of the main plot.

Shattered is set in December and there is plenty of ice and snow to capture the feel of the season. I began it on a balmy 80 degree day here in the Deep South, but the shivering soon started! Grab a cup of cocoa or cider and curl up with a blanket, as you enjoy Shattered.

Recommended.

(Thanks to Bethany for a review copy. The opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Dec 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you have not read the first book in this series (Submerged #1 ) you're going to want to read it before you read this book because the McKenna family members are interwoven and you're going to want to know their history; although it is not a "must," as the author does give some background on the characters that reappear. (I just love to know the background before I read because it makes the story that much richer. But, that's just my opinion.)

In this continuation of the McKenna clan, we find Reef McKenna is being charged for a murder of a snowboarder that was in Alaska for an Extreme Freeride Competition. Knowing that her brother would never do something so horrendous, Piper McKenna sets out on her own to investigate the murder and clear Reef's name. Unfortunately, she is also hindering the investigation that family friend and Deputy, Landon Grainger, is trying to conduct.

With her brother's reputation on the line, Piper goes to extremes, which include almost becoming a victim of murder herself. Will Landon be able to clear Reef's name and keep Piper safe at the same time? Will he finally help Piper realize that she is in love with him? What will happen to their relationship if Reef really is the murderer?

You'll have to read this suspense and intrigue filled book to find out. In fact, I'd set apart a few hours because you won't want to put this book down! ( )
  DynamicUno | Dec 3, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764209833, Paperback)

A Thrilling New Romantic Suspense from the Genre's Newest Star

Piper McKenna couldn't be more thrilled that her prodigal brother, Reef, has returned to Yancey, Alaska, after five years. But her happiness is short-lived when Reef appears at her house covered in blood. A fellow snowboarder has been killed--but despite the evidence, Reef swears he's innocent. And Piper believes him.

Deputy Landon Grainger loves the McKennas like family, but he's also sworn to find the truth. Piper is frustrated with his need for facts over faith, but he knows those closest to you have the power to deceive you the most. With his sheriff pushing for a quick conviction, some unexpected leads complicate the investigation, and pursuing the truth may mean risking Landon's career.

With Piper waging her own search, the two head deep into Canada's rugged backcountry--and unexpected complications. Not only does their long friendship seem to be turning into something more, but this dangerous case is becoming deadlier with each step.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:25 -0400)

"Piper McKenna would be overjoyed at the sight of her estranged brother, except that he's covered in blood. She knows he's innocent, but can they prove it?"--Provided by publisher.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shattered by Dani Pettrey was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible