Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin

The Aviator's Wife

by Melanie Benjamin

1,3001459,071 (3.83)1 / 55
    The Women by T. C. Boyle (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although The Women recounts several love affairs between architect Frank Lloyd Wright and his paramours, the lush lyricism of this richly detailed biographical novel may appeal to fans of The Aviator's Wife, which also explores the complexities of romantic relationships.… (more)
    Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler (pdebolt)

Story of Anne Morrow Lindbergh and her marriage to Charles Lindbergh. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Charles Lindbergh could have chosen almost any eligible girl to be his wife but from all those available he chose Anne Morrow. She was not only his wife but also his copilot and crew member and with the aid of Lindbergh's tutelage she became the first licensed female glider pilot. Their marriage was not an easy one. From the beginning they were constantly harassed by members of the press. Then came the abduction and death of their first child. Moreover, Charles Lindbergh had a strong personality and as time passed, Anne had to find a way to emerge from his shadow and discover her own value.

This historical fictional account of the life of Anne Morrow Lindbergh proved to be very compelling. Anne was compliant to the demanding personality of Charles for many years. She was at the same time a very independent woman because she had to be on her own much of the time while Charles was flying all over the world. Even so, she kept this all to herself until her children had left home. The book offers a nice look at the adventures and lives of those involved in the early history of flight. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Very interesting read about Lindbergh’s. I had no idea his wife was so involved with his aviation. You learn about his flight to Paris and that their son was kidnapped, but you aren’t taught all of the other intricate, but other important things in their lives. I enjoyed this book and would look to read more about the Lindbergh’s and more from this author. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
I had a difficult time getting interested in this book....but once it got going it held my interest. Anne Morrow Lindbergh was an extremely accomplished woman, although, from reading this book I have a hard time understanding how she became so accomplished. One good thing that has come from my reading this book is it has made me interested in reading her published diaries and journals to try and understand this woman who was a pilot and the first woman to earn a glider pilot's license...she was amazing and I can't understand how she is not better known in the world of famous/accomplished women. She was her husband's co-pilot on many flights in which they mapped routes that are used today by airlines world wide. Keep in mind that this was done in the 1930's where the only female pilot known in the world was Amelia Earhart, and the book intimates that she was a better pilot than Earhart, but lived in the shadow of her famous husband.
I would recommend this book if for no other reason than it will spark an interest in reading more about this amazing woman. ( )
  almin | Jul 29, 2018 |
Anne Morrow shy daughter Ambassador
1920 — end Marries Cha. Lindbergh
fairytale — hardships — kidnapped incident of '32 — all from her view — complicated Marr.

When Anne Morrow, a shy college senior with hidden literary aspirations, travels to Mexico City to spend Christmas with her family, she meets Colonel Charles Lindbergh, fresh off his celebrated 1927 solo flight across the Atlantic. Enthralled by Charles’s assurance and fame, Anne is certain the aviator has scarcely noticed her. But she is wrong. Charles sees in Anne a kindred spirit, a fellow adventurer, and her world will be changed forever. The two marry in a headline-making wedding. In the years that follow, Anne becomes the first licensed female glider pilot in the United States. But despite this and other major achievements, she is viewed merely as the aviator’s wife. The fairy-tale life she once longed for will bring heartbreak and hardships, ultimately pushing her to reconcile her need for love and her desire for independence, and to embrace, at last, life’s infinite possibilities for change and happiness.
  christinejoseph | May 28, 2018 |
"But the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart." - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
To Alec
He is flying.
Our mother was as tightly wound as a bedside clock
Why couldn't confidence be bottled, like perfume?
Mother turned to me with a smile that suddenly crumbled, like a sand castle overwhelmed by an unexpected tide.
"But almost as soon as I landed, I began to feel it—the awful realization that I'm never going to be left alone. People always want more from me, and I don't know what I can give them. I already flew across the ocean."
for the first time I sensed the darker side of accomplishing so much, so young.

For much of her life, Anne Morrow, the shy daughter of the U.S. ambassador to Mexico, has stood in the shadows of those around her, including her millionaire father and vibrant older sister, who often steals the spotlight. Then Anne, a college senior with hidden literary aspirations, travels to Mexico City to spend Christmas with her family. There she meets Colonel Charles Lindbergh, fresh off his celebrated 1927 solo flight across the Atlantic. Enthralled by Charles’s assurance and fame, Anne is certain the celebrated aviator has scarcely noticed her. But she is wrong.

Charles sees in Anne a kindred spirit, a fellow adventurer, and her world will be changed forever. The two marry in a headline-making wedding. Hounded by adoring crowds and hunted by an insatiable press, Charles shields himself and his new bride from prying eyes, leaving Anne to feel her life falling back into the shadows. In the years that follow, despite her own major achievements—she becomes the first licensed female glider pilot in the United States—Anne is viewed merely as the aviator’s wife. The fairy-tale life she once longed for will bring heartbreak and hardships, ultimately pushing her to reconcile her need for love and her desire for independence, and to embrace, at last, life’s infinite possibilities for change and happiness.

Drawing on the rich history of the twentieth century—from the late twenties to the mid-sixties—and featuring cameos from such notable characters as Joseph Kennedy and Amelia Earhart, The Aviator’s Wife is a vividly imagined novel of a complicated marriage—revealing both its dizzying highs and its devastating lows. With stunning power and grace, Melanie Benjamin provides new insight into what made this remarkable relationship endure.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345528670, Hardcover)

Melanie Benjamin on The Aviator’s Wife

Dimitri Maex

What was I thinking, writing a novel about Anne Morrow Lindbergh?

That is a question I asked myself every time I sat down to work on The Aviator’s Wife.

For Anne Morrow Lindbergh guarded her privacy fiercely and, at times, I felt she was eluding me just to make that point! My other heroines—Alice Liddell in Alice I Have Been and Lavinia Warren Stratton in The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb—gave up their secrets easily, almost eagerly. Anne, however, did not.

But that was what attracted me to her story in the first place—because of how elusive Anne remains to this day. She is known in fragments but never completely. Some are aware of her child’s horrific kidnapping and murder. Others remember her chiefly as the shy, pretty bride of the most heroic man of his time. Many women revere her as an early feminist writer.

But few know her entire story, including her major accomplishments as an aviator in her own right, her grit and determination, her inner strength. Always she seems willing to stand in the tall shadow of her husband, Charles Lindbergh. And it was her marriage that fascinated and obsessed me; this marriage between two extraordinary and very different individuals under the relentless glare of the spotlight. This operatic life they led, through dizzying heights of accomplishment and celebrity to the devastating lows of what Anne always saw as the price they paid for flying too close to the sun.

It seemed to me, as I studied her, standing always slightly behind her husband, that there was a sly smile, a gleam in her eyes that she was always suppressing; a secret strength hidden from the world and even, at times, herself. This was the Anne Morrow Lindbergh whose story I wanted to tell. It’s time for Anne to step out from behind her husband’s shadow once and for all and be the heroine in her own epic story.

Photos from The Aviator's Wife

Charles A. Lindbergh and Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Charles A. Lindbergh and Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Courtesy of SDAM

Click here for a larger image

Anne Morrow Lindbergh with Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr.
Anne Morrow Lindbergh with Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr. at Next Day Hill, NJ.

Copyright: Lindbergh picture collection, 1860-1980 (inclusive). Manuscripts & Archives, Yale University

Click here for a larger image

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:12 -0400)

Despite her own major achievements--she becomes the first licensed female glider pilot in the United States--Anne Morrow Lindbergh is viewed merely as Charles Lindbergh's wife. The fairy-tale life she once longed for will bring heartbreak and hardships, ultimately pushing her to reconcile her need for love and her desire for independence, and to embrace, at last, life's infinite possibilities for change and happiness.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Melanie Benjamin's book The Aviator's Wife was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,505,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible