The Aviator's Wife: A Novel by Melanie…

The Aviator's Wife: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Melanie Benjamin

1,0821377,702 (3.87)1 / 51
Member:cuicocha
Title:The Aviator's Wife: A Novel
Authors:Melanie Benjamin
Info:Delacorte Press (2013), Hardcover, 416 pages
Tags:fiction, Anne Morrow, Charles Lindbergh

The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin

Recently added byprivate library, LoriOnLTB, MaraBlaise, kaitanya64, CMDH5, sgeluso, Channyn, vreading, mary2515
    The Women by T. C. Boyle (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although The Women recounts several love affairs between architect Frank Lloyd Wright and his paramours, the lush lyricism of this richly detailed biographical novel may appeal to fans of The Aviator's Wife, which also explores the complexities of romantic relationships.… (more)
    Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler (pdebolt)

A historical novel based on good research which made it quite believable. Anne Morrow Lindbergh was married to Charles Lindbergh, famous pioneer pilot who flew over the Atlantic Ocean, solo, for the first time. The Lindberghs also were famous due to their first born child being kidnapped, and murdered. The novelist wrote from the wife's POV making the descriptions of the couple's life very poignant. At first, I reacted to the novel as if it was a romance novel written for young adults but I learned later that it read that way because in her early life Anne Morrow Lindbergh was a romantic young woman, an ambassador's daughter. As the novel progressed it did become more sophisticated and complex, as did her life. In the end I was very glad to have read the book and I do recommend it, especially for small book groups who enjoy talking about women's lives. ( )
1 vote maggie1944 | Feb 23, 2017 |
This is the fictionalized first person narrative of the life of Anne Morrow who married the aviator Charles Lindbergh. It is a very well written and fascinating story of an extremely intelligent and well educated woman. She was the daughter of Elizabeth and Dwight Morrow. She first met Lindbergh in Mexico City while her father was the American Ambassador. At the time Lindbergh was an international hero because of his solo transatlantic flight in 1927. They were married in 1929 and began their life together by flying and mapping flight paths. She became an aviator in her own right, earning a pilot's licence and learning to fly solo, without instruments.
In their day, they were huge celebrities and tried to hide from the press as do celebrities today. The book tells the tragic story of the kidnapping and murder of their first child Charles and the ensuing media storm. The tragic outcome was extremely difficult on the family, especially Anne as Charles locked it away in his mind.
Their marriage was happy but he was an introvert and a control freak who wanted to hide his family away. Ann stood by him, even when he adopted his America First and anti-Semitic philosophy before WWII which alienated many colleagues, friends and family. She was basically a single parent while he travelled the world for PanAm airways. Once her children leave home, she gets and apartment in New York and begins to lead a happier life among friends. She begins a long affair with her family doctor.
Charles Lindbergh died in 1974 of lymphoma and is buried in Maui. He and Anne had six children, including baby Charles. As he lays dying, she discovers that he had seven other children with 3 women in Germany. She cannot forgive him for betraying his children.
This is very good book and a very good insight into a long but lonely marriage. ( )
  MaggieFlo | Feb 19, 2017 |
I actually enjoyed this book. I wasn't all that familiar with Anne Morrow and Charles Lindbergh. I did find it fascinating at the end with the author's notes and what was actually the made up parts of the story. It was interesting to learn how she changed things to make the story appealing. I am now interested in actually looking up the books that were mentioned and also learning more about them. ( )
  crazy4reading | Feb 10, 2017 |
I've always been fascinated by Charles Lindbergh. This book is told from his wife Anne's point of view and if it is anywhere near to being accurate in its portrayal of the Lindberghs, it gave me a good, if somewhat unhappy, glimpse into both their lives. I enjoyed this smoothly written and emotional story. I think it was written for fans of women's fiction, although anyone interested in the life of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, rather than Charles, will find this an engaging read. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Feb 1, 2017 |
This book is about Anne Morrow Lindbergh, the wife of Charles Lindbergh. Such a great book. ( )
  MinDea | Jan 25, 2017 |
"But the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart." - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
To Alec
He is flying.

For much of her life, Anne Morrow, the shy daughter of the U.S. ambassador to Mexico, has stood in the shadows of those around her, including her millionaire father and vibrant older sister, who often steals the spotlight. Then Anne, a college senior with hidden literary aspirations, travels to Mexico City to spend Christmas with her family. There she meets Colonel Charles Lindbergh, fresh off his celebrated 1927 solo flight across the Atlantic. Enthralled by Charles’s assurance and fame, Anne is certain the celebrated aviator has scarcely noticed her. But she is wrong.

Charles sees in Anne a kindred spirit, a fellow adventurer, and her world will be changed forever. The two marry in a headline-making wedding. Hounded by adoring crowds and hunted by an insatiable press, Charles shields himself and his new bride from prying eyes, leaving Anne to feel her life falling back into the shadows. In the years that follow, despite her own major achievements—she becomes the first licensed female glider pilot in the United States—Anne is viewed merely as the aviator’s wife. The fairy-tale life she once longed for will bring heartbreak and hardships, ultimately pushing her to reconcile her need for love and her desire for independence, and to embrace, at last, life’s infinite possibilities for change and happiness.

Drawing on the rich history of the twentieth century—from the late twenties to the mid-sixties—and featuring cameos from such notable characters as Joseph Kennedy and Amelia Earhart, The Aviator’s Wife is a vividly imagined novel of a complicated marriage—revealing both its dizzying highs and its devastating lows. With stunning power and grace, Melanie Benjamin provides new insight into what made this remarkable relationship endure.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345528670, Hardcover)

Melanie Benjamin on The Aviator’s Wife

Dimitri Maex

What was I thinking, writing a novel about Anne Morrow Lindbergh?

That is a question I asked myself every time I sat down to work on The Aviator’s Wife.

For Anne Morrow Lindbergh guarded her privacy fiercely and, at times, I felt she was eluding me just to make that point! My other heroines—Alice Liddell in Alice I Have Been and Lavinia Warren Stratton in The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb—gave up their secrets easily, almost eagerly. Anne, however, did not.

But that was what attracted me to her story in the first place—because of how elusive Anne remains to this day. She is known in fragments but never completely. Some are aware of her child’s horrific kidnapping and murder. Others remember her chiefly as the shy, pretty bride of the most heroic man of his time. Many women revere her as an early feminist writer.

But few know her entire story, including her major accomplishments as an aviator in her own right, her grit and determination, her inner strength. Always she seems willing to stand in the tall shadow of her husband, Charles Lindbergh. And it was her marriage that fascinated and obsessed me; this marriage between two extraordinary and very different individuals under the relentless glare of the spotlight. This operatic life they led, through dizzying heights of accomplishment and celebrity to the devastating lows of what Anne always saw as the price they paid for flying too close to the sun.

It seemed to me, as I studied her, standing always slightly behind her husband, that there was a sly smile, a gleam in her eyes that she was always suppressing; a secret strength hidden from the world and even, at times, herself. This was the Anne Morrow Lindbergh whose story I wanted to tell. It’s time for Anne to step out from behind her husband’s shadow once and for all and be the heroine in her own epic story.

Photos from The Aviator's Wife

Charles A. Lindbergh and Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Charles A. Lindbergh and Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Courtesy of SDAM

Click here for a larger image

Anne Morrow Lindbergh with Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr.
Anne Morrow Lindbergh with Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr. at Next Day Hill, NJ.

Copyright: Lindbergh picture collection, 1860-1980 (inclusive). Manuscripts & Archives, Yale University

Click here for a larger image

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:12 -0400)

Despite her own major achievements--she becomes the first licensed female glider pilot in the United States--Anne Morrow Lindbergh is viewed merely as Charles Lindbergh's wife. The fairy-tale life she once longed for will bring heartbreak and hardships, ultimately pushing her to reconcile her need for love and her desire for independence, and to embrace, at last, life's infinite possibilities for change and happiness.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,781,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible