Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The One World Schoolhouse: Education…

The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined (edition 2012)

by Salman Khan (Author)

Member:bvs
Title:The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined
Authors:Salman Khan (Author)
Info:Twelve (2012), Edition: First Edition, 272 pages

The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined by Salman Khan

English (8)  French (2)  All languages (10)
lots of stuff I agree with here:
-Doing away with grades- students progress to the next after they have mastered a concept
-watching lectures independently, doing individual and group problem solving and "homework" in the classroom with teachers helping
-flexible school times, team teachers
-teaching students HOW to learn, be creative, and stay curious ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |
Two things: I cannot say that I have had thoughts along all of these lines before, but for some of them I have. Nearly eight years of college and I was so sick of it that I just stopped the process, But I continue to love to learn. Indeed, tis my primary satisfaction in life. So....yes, some of these very same concepts have occurred to me in the past. Second, I wish I had dropped out of high school as soon as I was legally allowed. I would have saved two years of my life. The GED, CLEP test, and general testing out of classes and I could've graduated right on time w/ everybody else from my graduating class. As it was, 3 years in the military, a year of travel, and goofing off to the max following the military and I still graduated just 3 years behind everybody else. High school as it is currently devised is an absolute waste of most kids' time. Ditto for much of college. hence, I fully concur w/ the author, Kahn, in that radical steps must be taken to keep education apace w/ the movement of civilization.... ( )
  untraveller | Aug 25, 2017 |
There might be a pipe dream or flaw or two here, but over all I found myself in agreement with much. It was actually inspirational, and the fact that Khan has the ear of so many, gives me hope that some of the ideas presented in this book (of which very few are original to Khan) will come to pass sooner rather than later. I think many of the changes he proposes are actually inevitable. It is just going to to take some time. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Great inclusion of Khan's personal story bringing for the Khan Academy, the observed benefits and the projected future for free universal education without taxes. ( )
  BillRob | Feb 13, 2016 |
This was an interesting book. But for a book talking about 'one world' it is amazingly US-centric. Also, even when I was in school, some of our learning was not happening in the lecture mode he condemns. I know my kids had a lot less of it than I did. The school I volunteer at has very little of it. And all of this without computer videos.

On the other hand, I have wanted to learn about probability for the past 40 or more years, and so I may just sign up at Khan Academy. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Mar 29, 2015 |
Don't limit a child to your own learning, for he was born in another time. (Rabindranath Tagore)
The elements of instruction . . . should be presented to the mind in childhood, but not with any compulsion. Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be rather a sort of amusement; this will better enable you to find the natural bent of the child. (Plato, "The Republic)
My name is Sal Khan.
Taking responsibility for education *is* education; taking responsibility for learning *is* learning. From the student's perspective, only by taking responsibility does true learning become possible; studies of mastery learning dynamics make this clear. (43)
The use of technology made the classroom more human my facilitating one-on-one interactions; by letting the teacher know who needed her attention most. (144-5)
There is a certain irony here. I entered teaching as the tutor of a twelve-year-old girl. To be perfectly honest, adult education was an afterthought. In fact, I'll go further. As I muddled along in my tinkering and pragmatic way, without assumptions or theory, I really didn't consider lifelong learning at all. Yet it turns out that what I was trying to accomplish with the kids was to foster an atmosphere and an attitude that came closer to that of adult learners. I inadvertently bumped into an idea that (Malcolm) Knowles had already explored: Maybe androgogy—self-directed learning with the teacher as a guide rather than director—may be more appropriate for *everyone*. (176)

Aux États Unis , au Brésil , au Mexique ... La Khan Academy révolutionne le monde de l'enseignement . Le renversement du système a déjà donnéde formidables résultats dans les écoles qui le pratiquent . Contrairement aux idées reçues , la technologie peut humaniser les classes et valoriser les enseignants .

"A free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere: this is the goal of the Khan Academy, a passion project that grew from an ex-hedge funder's online tutoring sessions with his niece, who was struggling with algebra, into a worldwide phenomenon. Today, millions have viewed and subscribed to the Khan Academy's YouTube videos, which have expanded to encompass nearly every conceivable subject. Like all great innovators, Sal Khan established himself as an outsider, with no teaching background to tie him to broken models. And his breakthrough idea has become his life's passion. Schools seek his advice about connecting to students in a digital age, and people of all ages and backgrounds flock to the site to utilize this new approach to learning. In The One World Schoolhouse, Khan will present his remarkable story, as well as his vision for the future of education. More than just a solution, his book serves as a call for free, universal, global education, and an explanation of how his simple - yet revolutionary - method can help achieve this inspiring goal"--""The founder of the Khan Academy -- the world's most popular free online learning site -- tells the story of his school's astonishing success, and shares his revolutionary vision for the future of education." --Provided by the publisher"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible