The 13th Sign by Kristin O' Donnell…

The 13th Sign (edition 2013)

by Kristin O' Donnell Tubb

Member:Hermyoni
Title:The 13th Sign
Authors:Kristin O' Donnell Tubb
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2013), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:***

The 13th Sign by Kristin O'Donnell Tubb

On her thirteenth birthday, Jalen unwittingly brings the twelve signs of the zodiac to life through a mysterious old book, and soon she, her friend Ellie, and Ellie's brother, Brennan, are battling in the streets of New Orleans to defeat the twelve and their little-known companion before time runs out. ( )
  ShellyPYA | Apr 11, 2014 |
The 13th Sign

Although I’m not much of a fantasy fan, I’m a huge fan of allegories or messages firmly planted at the heart of a story, which is why I so enjoyed The 13th Sign. There is little preparation needed or taken as the story takes off immediately of a young lady who’s mistake causes mayhem among the zodiac, and thus all mankind.

The story is fueled by the suspense of waiting to see what the next sign will be, what will it take to overcome each challenge, and what attributes will each zodiac have. All of this happens with a ticking clock that will make all personality changes permanent.

The message at the story’s heart is a wonderful destination, and adds to the journey’s enjoyment. It is one I’m glad I got to make. ( )
  lanewillson | Oct 27, 2013 |
Put it on my Will-finish-next-time shelf. :- Can't get into it.
  lexiechan | Sep 10, 2013 |
The 13th Sign. When I first heard of it, I literally spazzed. What a brilliant idea! Like Jalen, I am a Sagittarius that feel like the horoscope didn't depict my personality right. And so I started wondering if there was a 13th sign. The idea intrigued me dearly. And recently I got into looking at horoscope more because of Midorima from Kuroko no Basuke (I miss you Shin-chan). So when Raincoast Books provided me a copy of The 13th Sign, I freaked. So on the night of January the 4th, I started reading and man I didn't put the book down until I was finished. I finished this within hours (and I read SUPER slow) so this is saying a lot! Now I am currently writing this review at 12:30 in the morning. I have to say my mind works better at night anyway.

Okay let's talk about the cover. WOW! Is it ever gorgeous?! It somewhat reminded me of The Night Circus' cover and this Alice in Wonderland mythical depth. I adore it! It seemed goth but also elegant. I can't stop staring at it.

I mean the book is not perfect for example, the start of the book. The book didn't start out very well. Maybe it was me but I was confused. I didn't understand the characters, ie who is Ellie, and what's her relationship with Jalen? How old is she? How about Brennan? Nina? Jalen kept on referring Nina as "her Nina", why? What is going on?(Oh Nina is her grandmother, after 43 pages I find this out). And I thought they were locked out of the house, how did they get in?

So I was a bit frustrated with the beginning, but that said, if you look past all that, everything was good. I mean you get to be introduced to all the zodiac signs as people, almost like Greek Gods from Percy Jackson. Each of them had their own personalities that fit the horoscope. That was pretty cool. :) Oh speaking of Percy Jackson, there were many things this book resembled of Percy Jackson series. You know the Minotaur encounter in the lightning thief? There was something similar but with Taurus the Bull. So if you know the adventure Percy went on such as Medusa's lair etc, you get most of the action from this book. BUT! The big difference is that the Percy Jackson series seemed to had more layers and complexity. Some of the "fights" in this book lacked many excitement. It just didn't have the same impact as the Percy Jackson series but I mean, who can compete with Rick Riordan? He is practically a God himself.

So overall, this book is a fast-paced adventure that's for sure. It is full of magic, myth, danger and more! Once the story got started, the pace was fast. It kept things interesting and not dull. One adventure followed another, one Keeper after another. If you like Percy Jackson (but a step down), why not give this one a try? ( )
  FireStarBooks | Jan 16, 2013 |
THE 13th SIGN was a fast-paced middle grade novel about a young girl who is dealing with the serious illness of her grandmother and still reeling from the disappearance of her father when she was nine and had a serious illness of her own. We start the story with Jalen and her friend Ellie in a French Quarter voodoo store on her thirteenth birthday as she carries on the tradition of having her horoscope read. Her beloved Nina would be with her but is in the hospital and is too ill.

Jalen is a cynic who doesn't really believe in astrology or horoscopes but she is forced to change her mind when she finds an old unusual book with mysterious locks. She and Ellie manage to open the locks but doing so changes things. All of a sudden there is a 13th zodiac sign. Ophiuchus is the snake and a healer. All of the personalities of people have changed because of this addition to the zodiac and the other signs want her gone.

Jalen has to defeat the twelve signs of the zodiac and return them to the heavens. If she does this, she has hope that Ophiuchus can heal her grandmother. Jalen, Ellie and Ellie's brother Brandon set off on a quest to defeat the signs of the zodiac with some unexpected help along the way. They have 24 hours to complete their mission and get across New Orleans to save Nina.

The book is filled with exciting adventures but it also has a message about grief and healing and making tough decisions. Middle graders will read this one for the adventure but come away with some interesting things to think about too. ( )
  kmartin802 | Dec 24, 2012 |

What if there was a 13th zodiac sign?

You’re no longer Sagittarius, but Ophiuchus, the healer, the 13th sign.

Your personality has changed. So has your mom’s and your best friend’s.

What about the rest of the world?

What if you were the one who accidentally unlocked the 13th sign, causing this world-altering change, and infuriating the other 12 signs?

Jalen did it, and now she must use every ounce of her strength and cunning to send the signs back where they belong. Lives, including her own, depend upon it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:35 -0400)

On her thirteenth birthday, Jalen unwittingly brings the twelve signs of the zodiac to life through a mysterious old book, and soon she, her friend Ellie, and Ellie's brother, Brennan, are battling in the streets of New Orleans to defeat the twelve and their little-known companion before time runs out.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,555,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible