Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Hand in Hand: An American History Through…

Hand in Hand: An American History Through Poetry (edition 1994)

by Lee Bennett Hopkins, Lee Bennett Hopkins (Compiler), Peter M. Fiore (Illustrator)

532221,808 (4)None
Member:KatherineC032
Title:Hand in Hand: An American History Through Poetry
Authors:Lee Bennett Hopkins
Other authors:Lee Bennett Hopkins (Compiler), Peter M. Fiore (Illustrator)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (1994), Hardcover, 144 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Poetry

Hand in Hand: An American History Through Poetry by Lee Bennett Hopkins

An extensive compilation of poetry from and about America. It is a wonderful and colorful collection covering the founding of America up until the pressing issues of today. ( )
  KatherineC032 | Dec 8, 2012 |
Hand In Hand-An American History Through Poetry is a collection of poems from authors such as Robert Frost and William Carlos Williams that portray periods of American History. This book takes the reader on a journey through America from the early 1600's all the way up to the 21st century. Wonderful poems about pilgrims, american heroes, and working americans make this collection a priceless tool for teaching an appreciation of poetry and history.

I love poetry and history so this book appealed to me right away. I was incredibly impressed with the poems that were chosen to grace the pages of this collection. It is full of beautiful verse that makes learning american history a fun and enlightening experience.

In the classroom this book would be a wonderful addition to any american history or poetry section. I would probably read the book in class and ask the children to write a poem about the history of their families.
  adharrington | Sep 20, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067173315X, Hardcover)

Presenting American history through poetry, Lee Bennett Hopkins offers a unique perspective on each part of the American experience. Filled with wit, color, knowledge, and truth, these selections offer rich detail about the lives and events that have shaped our nation.

Each poet lends a particular voice and vision to the subject. From the founding of this nation, through the Great Depression and the wars we've fought, to the issues of today, these poems echo the emotions of our triumphs and defeats.

Here are all the varied people who make up America -- the different races and their various ways of facing life. Their brave spirit speaks loudly in the special language of poetry. It opens our eyes to see in a new way that which we already knew.

Lee Bennett Hopkins, a renowned anthologist, has chosen with care a collection of poetry, some that readers know and some that they will come to know. Peter M. Fiore's magnificent paintings complement the poetry, offering a human portrait of us as we were and as we are today.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:13 -0400)

A collection of poems and lyrics from several songs provides a look at our country, from colonial times to the present.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible