Tangerine by Edward Bloor

Tangerine (1997)

by Edward Bloor

Wonderful YA novel set in dystopic Florida. Something is seriously messed up in the main character's family - can he face the truth and break free? Funny and moving. I love the way the landscape is so vivid and reflects the characters so well - its a character itself. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
RGG: Exciting, well-written. Middle-school centered; sports bent. Especially for boys. Very dark. A must-recommend.
  rgruberexcel | Aug 1, 2018 |
Well that was seriously intense, amazing, even. Definitely not just a 'book for boys who like soccer' or even a 'book about a kid who's kind of blind.' The mystery and reveal are indeed huge. (Though the clues are there, and I did see part of it coming... kind of.)

The path taken to the reveal is written so gracefully and smoothly that the adventure seems dominant, even though the metaphors, the poetry and the themes are the real stars of the book.

But don't get me wrong; it's not a mystery story, and nothing is contrived for the sake of the mystery It's an exploration of destiny & fate. But it's not a warning 'do this and be punished;' it's more like 'you can have the courage to pick yourself up and save your future.'

The ubiety of the classism & culture of Florida is very cool - in a way, the setting *is* a character. (Which is made clear in the beginning when Paul muses about lightning having a memory & motivation.)

I wouldn't have minded getting to know Eric a bit better, but I got to know the parents well enough. Well-rounded characters, with their own histories & future, fears & dreams.

Ambiguous, authentic ending. Lots of bad things, but some hope for the survivors. Just like real life.

Strongly recommended for ages 12 up, or even slightly younger if they can handle drama. Paul is in 7th grade, but most of the characters are older.

I will definitely look for more by the author. ( )
  HunterHB2 | Oct 25, 2017 |
I read this 3 years ago when it was on the battle of the books list and it has reappeared so I read it again to refresh. The thing I had forgotten was what an excellent book this is. I am not a soccer fan and know little about the sport but that doesn't matter to any reader. When you get somewhere around page 250 you can't turn the pages fast enough to find out what is going to happen. The cast of characters is great with the mix is races and social status. The thing I did remember was that I had a complete dislike for Erik and that still rang true. My favorite scene in the book is the Awards Banquet. As the book drew to a close, I did want to know what happened to Erik. I feel he at least ended up in a special school, getting help for his personality disorders and pure meanness. The other guy with the blackjack, I hope he went to prison. I feel pretty sure that Paul will finish out the year at the Catholic School and go back to Tangerine and play soccer and be friends with the Latinos and maybe even date Teresa. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
This is the story of a middle-grade boy, Paul Fisher, and his struggle to manage the move to a new school and a new home in a new state. He has a vision problem that stems from an incident in youth he can't quite recall. At the same time he copes with a daunting fear of his older, bullying brother, Erik Fisher. Paul wears thick glasses to help correct near-blindness; though, it seems he is the only one who sees situations clearly, both in his household and in two starkly different neighborhoods. Paul is able to find good in kids that society has labeled 'bad news'. He recognizes true awfulness in the town sports heroes, his brother and a brutish tag-along. This is a story of a young man striving to find himself and the place he belongs. I wouldn't call it a feel-good book, but it is a good book. ( )
  REGoodrich | Aug 10, 2016 |
Successful hills are here to stay.
Everything must be this way.
---The Doors, "The Soft Parade"
Dedicated to Judy Bloor Bonfield
The house looked strange. It was completely empty now, and the door was flung wide open, like something wild had just escaped from it. Like it was the empty, two-story tomb of some runaway zombie.
Head of Guidance, Mr. Murrow, "...Kerri will act as your eyes, so to speak, until you've learned your way around campus." "I can see fine." He seemed genuinely surpirsed. "You can?" "Yes, sure. I've been to two classes already." "Well perhaps since you're new to our school, Kerri could take you around for the first day. What harm could that do?"

I didn't know what else to say. I didn't know how to describe the harm that that would do to me. Nothing more came out of my mouth. (p. 38)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152057803, Paperback)

So what if he's legally blind? Even with his bottle-thick, bug-eyed glasses, Paul Fisher can see better than most people. He can see the lies his parents and brother live out, day after day. No one ever listens to Paul, though--until the family moves to Tangerine. In Tangerine, even a blind, geeky, alien freak can become cool. Who knows? Paul might even become a hero! Edward Bloor's debut novel sparkles with wit, authenticity, unexpected plot twists, and heart. The writing is so fine, the story so triumphant, that you just might stand up and shout when you get to the end. Hooray!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:12 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Paul, who lives in the shadow of his football hero brother Erik, fights for the right to play soccer despite his near blindness and slowly begins to remember the incident that damaged his eyesight.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,030,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible