Collared: A Gin & Tonic Mystery by L. A.…

Collared: A Gin & Tonic Mystery (edition 2012)

by L. A. Kornetsky

Member:anneb10
Title:Collared: A Gin & Tonic Mystery
Authors:L. A. Kornetsky
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

Collared by L. A. Kornetsky

COLLARED was an interesting and entertaining mystery. Ginny Mallard is a freelance concierge who handles things others are too busy or something to do. She has recently adopted a shar pei that she has named Georgie. She hangs out at a bar named Mary's when she wants to get away from home.

Teddy Tonica is the bartender at Mary's. There is also a cat that has adopted Teddy but who comes and goes at her will. Ginny and Teddy are friendly rivals at the Tuesday night trivia contests and have a relationship where one is constantly trying to one-up the other. When one of the other trivia contest participants comes to Ginny and asks her to find his uncle who has disappeared with some papers that are necessary to finalizing a business deal.

Research is Ginny's strength but people skills are definitely where Teddy shines. The two decide to work together - well, actually, she sort of dares him to help. Together they find more than they ever expected and attract the attention of some goons who don't want them looking for Uncle Joe.

What makes this unique is that the dog and the cat have conversations and spend time looking out for their humans. The cat's and dog's personalities were very realistic to the natures of cats and dogs.

I thought this story was entertaining and will be looking for the sequel to see how a second case goes for these two unlikely detectives. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 1, 2014 |
A solidly-told, well-paced mystery investigation with likable, dimensional characters-- both the people and their pets. Pets as supporting characters is whimsical and yet, the animals strike a nicely played chord; they aren't comedic relief and they aren't especially wise or knowing. Instead, their place in the story is that of any good supporting character.

I enjoyed the book and intend to read the sequel. ( )
  imayb1 | Nov 14, 2013 |
I have been waiting for this book since the first time I heard about it. LA Gilman writing mysteries? Could it be anything but good?

The Seattle that Ms Kornetsky described, felt like it was written by a Seattlite. It managed the fine balance of being detailed enough to be believable, yet not so detailed that the description bogged down the narrative.

The characters were deliciously snarky, but what I especially liked was how Gin and Teddy complemented each other. Ginny was good at finding information and Teddy talking with people.

I also liked how they had... not a love-hate relationship, but they were definitely not the best of friends.

The mystery was well plotted and kept me hooked from the beginning. I loved how Gin and Teddy gradually started to realise that they were in over they heads. Yet, they refused giving up. After all, Gin had promised DubJay to find his uncle and her reputation was important for her busniess.

I loved seeing how the attitudes in the Estate business had changed from when Joe started it in the 80's.

One thing that I especially loved was that every scene in the plot was actually related to the mystery. (Yes, it might sound like an odd thing, but that's my pet peeve: Mysteries where something happen in chapter one, and then there is 150 pages of describing the characters life, and then they stumble upon the sollution.)

So... What I didn't like. The pets POV:s. I enjoyed reading them, but it felt like they didn't add anything to the story. But maybe that will change in the second book. ( )
  Mikaela_l | Sep 21, 2013 |
Not really an animal mystery, although the dog in particular is helpful. The cat and dog are real animals, too, not human-intelligences in disguise.

I'm not usually fond of private investigators, but I'll read sequels if any are published. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Dec 9, 2012 |
Ginny Mallard is a personal concierge who has a half-grown Shar-pei named Georgie, and likes to drink at an out-of-the-way neighborhood bar called Mary's. She has a routine and is a problem-solver. Teddy Tonica pretty much runs Mary's, the bartender an empathetic, yet slightly mysterious, soul who knows when to cut off a patron without ruffling any feathers. His (not his) cat, Mistress Penny-drops, has the run of the bar - as long as she stays out of the way.

A long-time customer of Mary's shows up one evening and spills his trouble to Tonica. Ginny, between customers at the moment, overhears and inserts herself - and her business - in, and lo and behold, ends up with a well-paying commission to find the customer's missing uncle and some papers that were with him when he went walkabout.

Tonica, worried about his verbal sparring partner, agrees to help Ginny find the missing uncle. What starts as an interesting research problem quickly turns frustrating and then frightening as they two are accosted by thugs looking for the same papers.

Ginny and Tonica are a fun, realistic pair of characters who will have you alternately chuckling at their repartee and then worried over them when things turn dangerous. Even Georgie and Penny take a hand, the two animals worried over their humans. This is an outstanding beginning to a new series, and I look forward to future volumes. ( )
  anneb10 | Nov 12, 2012 |

Ginny Mallard and her shar-pei Georgie, are about to run out of kibble and cash, unless she digs up another client for her private concierge business. So she heads to her neighborhood Portland bar, Mary's, to sniff out an opportunity. Or a gimlet or two. Before she can say "bottoms up" Ginny lands a job tracking down some important business papers that have gone missing--along with the customer's uncle.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,245,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible