Overnight Sensation by Hal Eisenberg

Overnight Sensation (edition 2012)

by Hal Eisenberg

741,138,814 (4)None
Member:Betty.Karl
Title:Overnight Sensation
Authors:Hal Eisenberg
Info:Hal Eisenberg (2012), Paperback, 238 pages

Overnight Sensation by Hal Eisenberg

With the summary and the cover it's hard not to mention that this story does have some predictability to it. You know what's going to happen in the end. It's the events leading up to it that counts.

There is a lot of time that passes in this story. For the majority of the first half of the book it's dialogue, the going back and forth of "should we" and "what are we doing" The boys take several actions as most young boys do with not much thought to the act. But then the guilt and turmoil of what the consequences will be when their parents find out.

When the decisions are made, the plan is in action, the story builds in anticipation. Although our main characters are teen boys. I couldn't help but feel that the story reads more like a memoir. Reminiscing of the best time of their youth and what could have been. Perhaps as a reader I was playing off this idea because technically Jonah's father is vicariously living through him.

Perhaps this story is one of "What if's" and fly by the seat of your pants while you can. ( )
  Krista23 | Jan 17, 2013 |
I won this book at Goodreads.com, thought it would be a fun read, I like music. Most of my reading genre is thriller, mystery, cop/detective, I like a real page turner. So, after reading the blurb, I though it would be a cute story, but not as engrossing as what I usually read. Wrong!!

This book just gets in your mind and you want to keep reading. The author has great characters, they have a quirky sense of humor and they're fun, you almost feel like you're hanging out with them. Some of their one-liners had me giggling and I can imagine kids saying these things and acting the way the author portrays them.

The main character, Jonah, is intrigued with his father's band, who have just started playing together again after a long time. He finds a recording of their song he thinks is great and emails it to a friend to see what he thinks. The friend sends it to a radio station, thinking it's a local station, but it's a syndicated station, all over the states, reaching millions of people. It gets airplay, requests, and it turns into the "overnight sensation", although no one knows who it is, what label it's on, but it's a HIT!

This is where the fun starts, and Jonah has to involve his parents and confess what happened. The guys in the band get lots of attention from the girls at school when the secret gets out that their classmates are on the radio. A fan page is started for them and the following just grows seemingly by itself. No more details from me, but join the fun and read it, there's a plot twist at the end that makes it all the more interesting.

I finished it in a couple evenings because it just pulls you in and makes you keep turning those pages. I would recommend this to anyone who would like a good, humorous story. It's good to read something outside you're usual favorite genre, I'm glad I got the chance to experience this book.

Visit the author's website where he's got the actual song posted - it's a cool song, and it is kinda retro.

Betty Karl - Author of Island Fever ( )
  Betty.Karl | Dec 23, 2012 |
Hal Eisenberg did an amazing job of creating a believable teenage world. The main character of the story is young Jonah. A wanna be musician with a band named HitStreak. Inadvertently, a song is sent to a radio station, a song entitled "Every Little Bit Hurts". This song gets some airtime and voila...overnight sensation. Only, the song is not done by HitStreak but by Jonah's dad's old band. OOPS!

As you can imagine, some fun and some not so fun things happen. But Jonah's family is always there for him. The book is very well written and easy to read. I found it interesting that I liked all the major characters, not something that usually happens when I read a book.

I think it will appeal more to boys than girls.

Also, check out the website at http://www.hal-eisenberg.com/contest to hear the actual song "Every Little Bit Hurts". ( )
  ljldml | Oct 30, 2012 |
Overnight Sensation was easily a light and funny read that I definitely enjoyed. I burst out laughing about half the time. The characters were awesome and developed quite nicely throughout the book, even the school bully turned out to be rather cool. The plot was super fast, but extremely entertaining. I had fun seeing how the band would face the challenge before them. Half of them sounded like they were having the time of their lives (and they probably were), but poor Jonah was close to cracking.
Fifteen year-old, 'in way over his head', (fake) rock star Jonah (Joman) Levine is going to be able to tell his children the story of a lifetime. He's a cool kid. I like him, because he's the most logical one of the band. He's got nice and very realistic characteristics that're fitting for a teenage boy. His friendly personality made him easily likable. But the one thing that got to me was his manner of not standing up to his bullies. Sure, he befriended one, but that's because he became famous. His character development didn't extend over that facing-the-bully line. I got a little annoyed over his 'I'll just nod and take the beating'. No kid! That's totally not the answer.
His friends, band-mates, took part in getting this problem started. There're three of them: Kyle, Bart, and Jess (Teffy). All of them were full of witty comebacks and devious plans. I loved how they stood up for each other, it's definitely the sort of friendship that could last a long time, but the trouble they get into is getting shortening that time span.
The plot was great. The story isn't so original, but I had an awesome time reading through it. It's fast, funny, and full of 'what will happen next?' moments. But there was a downfall: Not much of a setting. I don't know much of what the characters looked like or what the surroundings looked like. Most of the book was straight dialogue, and sometimes the settings changed so abruptly that I didn't realize it until I ended up confused and I had to go back to see where I got lost. There were also some grammatical and spelling mistakes here and there, but the overall story was greatly fascinating.
I had a wonderful time reading Overnight Sensation. It's hilarious and fun to a full extent. I highly recommend it to anyone who would like a light and enjoyable read! ( )
  daniela07 | Sep 22, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 098549221X, Paperback)

Fifteen year old Jonah Levine is practically invisible at Applecrest High. His Facebook page is pathetic, his baseball skills are mediocre at best, and his IQ seems to drop 50 points when talking to girls. However, everything changes when his rock band, Hitstreak, becomes the hottest teen sensation in the country. So why isn’t he jumping for joy? Well, for starters, that hit on the radio wasn’t really recorded by his band. In fact, six months ago, he and his friends could barely play a note between them. And now they’re about to perform in front of 15,000 screaming fans. What began as a mindless prank had quickly spun out of control, involving his father’s secret past as a 70’s rocker, a high school bully who wants in on the action, and a powerful, ruthless, media mogul who will stop at nothing to claim the band as his own. Will Jonah prevail? Or will he and his band go down in flames and become the biggest farce in pop music history?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:23 -0400)

Hal Eisenberg is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,324,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible