Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock…

Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes (edition 2013)

by Maria Konnikova (Author)

Member:AIRCislamabad
Title:Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes
Authors:Maria Konnikova (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2013), 288 pages

Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes by Maria Konnikova

Recently added byglennsewell, Squires29, Nazgul93, private library, aecath, INorris, quintonk1115, ValBarrett

English (15)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (17)
Hum - still not even clear for me if that gave me specifc insights !
undoublty a great great reading book ... brillant and always nice to get clues in life ...
Great review of Conan Doyle’s famous duo btw ... Love it ;)
Anyway - I defiitively would recommend it as nice breakthrought thinking game :)

Oct - 2018 ( )
  Fouad_Bendris | Oct 20, 2018 |
Wonderful survey of thought processes and cognitive theories woven within a framework of how the characters Sherlock Holmes and John Watson might approach problem solving. I hope Ms. Konnikova continues to write, because she has a talent like Sagan for making science accessible.

I found it less "how to" than the title suggests, rather "here are possibilities why you might think a certain way". I am particularly interested in the additional reading suggestions...the list grows longer with each of these books. And she picked at my own bias against meditation, which she offers as an excellent focusing mechanism; I'll have to investigate further if I think I might be able to take advantage of it.

For those expecting an academic treatise, look elsewhere...and more power to you. For me, this was an enjoyable read that sparked follow on reading and thinking. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
An attempt to capitalize on the Holmes mythos to convey a lot of standard behavioral psych stuff. I was underwhelmed by tidbits such as “Students who are motivated perform better on something as seemingly immutable as the IQ test—on average, as much as .064 standard deviations better.” First, IQ tests aren’t immutable; that’s well-known. Second: .064 standard deviations better? I don’t even know what that means, but it looks small as well as nonsensical. Supposedly her sources are on her website, but I couldn’t find them, so I couldn’t look up the underlying study. And she promises that by following Holmes’ methods (the brain attic is involved) you can learn to be like him “for your every thought,” except that’s the opposite of Holmes, who discards irrelevant information, and even she understands that we have to discard information to survive. I found it sloppy, is what I’m saying. ( )
  rivkat | Feb 9, 2016 |
This is a great title. Add to that I am an investigator and a long time fan of Sherlock Holmes and you would think the book would be very attractive.
You know some books just flow. You are in tune with the writer's voice. One sentence flows to the next and hours later you realize you have been spellbound.
This was not my experience with the book that seemed long winded, repetitive and not as clear as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's writing. Maybe the book would have made a better long magazine article or as a study book for aspiring investigators eager to learn the deductive method and an original insight into critical thinking and observation with a tutor making you read each chapter with discussion points after. Not a bad idea that. But I could not get excited about the book and just longed for the original texts.
Still worth reading and absorbing the points the writer pounds away at.
Meanwhile, how many steps to your front door? ( )
  Nick-Spill | Jan 24, 2016 |
its crazy to say but this book was a little too much Sherlock for me. I was looking for a more psychologically based book. she brigs up studies that were in other books I have read. this book expounds on what and why Sherlock was the best consulting. detective ever ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:46 -0400)

"No fictional character is more renowned for his powers of thought and observation than Sherlock Holmes. But is his extraordinary intellect merely a gift of fiction, or can we learn to cultivate these abilities ourselves, to improve our lives at work and at home? We can, says psychologist and journalist Maria Konnikova, and in Mastermind she shows us how. Beginning with the "brain attic"--Holmes's metaphor for how we store information and organize knowledge--Konnikova unpacks the mental strategies that lead to clearer thinking and deeper insights. Drawing on twenty-first-century neuroscience and psychology, Mastermind explores Holmes's unique methods of ever-present mindfulness, astute observation, and logical deduction. In doing so, it shows how each of us, with some self-awareness and a little practice, can employ these same methods to sharpen our perceptions, solve difficult problems, and enhance our creative powers. For Holmes aficionados and casual readers alike, Konnikova reveals how the world's most keen-eyed detective can serve as an unparalleled guide to upgrading the mind. "-- "Lessons from the world's greatest fictional detective teach us how to improve our own mental powers. Konnikova unpacks mental strategies that lead to clearer thinking and deeper insights. Drawing on twenty-first century neuroscience and psychology"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible