Down to You by M. Leighton

Down to You (edition 2012)

by M. Leighton

101None118,769 (3.47)1
Member:angieanzaldua
Title:Down to You
Authors:M. Leighton
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 298 pages
Rating:*****

Down to You by M. Leighton

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Great new adult novel filled with an intriguing plot, engaging characters, and steamy romance.

Opening Sentence: My head is spinning lightly, but happily.

The Review:

Olivia Townsend has just met the most gorgeous guy — twice. First, there is Cash, an owner of a hip nightclub downtown. He is sexy, dangerous, and exactly what Olivia always finds herself drawn to. She has always had a soft spot for the bad boys and her heart has really suffered in the past because of it. But just looking at Cash gets her all hot and bothered. She’s not sure she is going to be able to resist his charm, even if it means more hurt for her. It turns out that Cash has an identical twin that couldn’t be more opposite.

Nash is the perfect guy. He is successful, sweet, loyal, and honest. He is everything Olivia has always wanted in a guy, but unfortunately he is unavailable because he is dating Olivia’s snotty cousin. But they have undeniable attraction and Olivia finds herself wanting him more then she should. She’s not the type of girl to go for someone that’s taken, but Nash makes her forget anything but him when he’s around.

Cash and Nash couldn’t be more different but they have one major thing in common, they both want Olivia. As things start to escalade Olivia finds herself falling in love with both brothers, but they have a secret. One that will change everything Olivia has come to know and trust about both boys. With her heart on the line, who is Olivia going to ultimately choose: the bad boy or the golden boy?

The book is told from Olivia, Cash, and Nash’s POV. First you meet the spunky cute Olivia. She is currently enrolled in college as an accounting major. She feels like she needs to go back home and help her dad out after college. Her mother left and he raised Olivia by himself. She feels like she owes him and he needs the help, but her father wants her to live her own dreams and not worry about him. Obviously, she is a really sweet girl with a big heart. She has always taken pity on other people and she has had a lot of heartache because of that. I found that I could really sympathize with her situation. She was a very likable character that was easy to connect with.

Next you meet Cash, the perfect bad boy. He is sexy, mysterious, and has that air about him — that sex appeal!!! He owns a club and offers Olivia a job as a bartender. He is a total flirt and teases Olivia relentlessly just to get a reaction out of her. But he is also very sweet and thoughtful when he wants to be. With his brooding personality and bad boy persona he pretty much had me at hello. I found him intriguing and loved trying to figure him out.

Then there is the wonderful Nash. He is sweet, handsome, smart, and successful. He works as an intern at a law firm. He runs in a whole different crowd than Olivia does and she can’t help but be intimated by that. She wasn’t raised with money and she has never really been comfortable around rich people, but Nash treats her as an equal. He respects her and is always trying to help her in any way he can. Nash is the perfect guy, and I found that he was easy to like.

This was a really enjoyable and hot read for me. The romance was steamy and the sexual tension basically dripped from the pages. The characters were developed well and easy to connect with. While I did figure out most of the plot pretty early on, I still felt it was very entertaining. Leighton has remarkable writing that is engaging and easy to get lost in. The one thing I wasn’t expecting was the ending. It totally leaves you hanging and wanting to next book right away. Suffice to say, this was an amazing start to what I’m sure is to be a great series. I would highly recommend it to anyone that is looking for a hot read full of drama, intrigue, and sexy romance.

Notable Scene:

I can’t help but stare, openmouthed, at the owner. I fight the urge to look for a table to crawl under. I’ve never been more mortified in all my life.

I hear the girls clucking over Jason, but it barely penetrates my mind, my focus. Every other piece of gray matter is concentrated squarely on the guy standing in front of me.

And then I get angry.

“Why did you let me do that? Why didn’t you say something or introduce yourself?”

He smiles. Smiles, dammit! It registers for a second that it’s a stunning smile, but then my humiliation returns and over?shadows it completely.

“Why would I do that, when letting you undress me was so much more fun?”

FTC Advisory: Berkley/Penguin provided me with a copy of Down to You. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Oct 21, 2013 |
Down to You
Up to Me
Bad Boys Novels #1 & #2
by M. Leighton
Published 02/12/2013 by Penguin Group U.S.A.
Contemporary Romance

WHO: Cash & Nash Davenport and Olivia Townsend, Bad Boy twins and a co-ed respectively…
WHAT: fall into a sex/love triangle…
WHERE: that begins at Dual, a nightclub in Atlanta, GA; touches at Salt Springs, a rural town about an hour’s drive from Atlanta; and at a couple of tertiary settings e.g. an art gallery and Olivia’s apartment.
WHEN: The setting is now (cell phones and Hummers) though computers are not noted and ledgers are physical/paper copies.
WHY: Olivia is attracted to bad boys but wants to avoid falling for the same old trap that has led to heartbreak in the past. While inevitably attracted to nightclub owner, Cash, she also finds herself drawn to his twin brother, Nash - a lawyer and, more provocatively, the boyfriend of her bitchy roommate and cousin.
HOW: The context for the relationships that evolve in this story is the dangerous secret that the twins are keeping, a situation that puts Olivia’s life at risk.

+/- Very light reading with intriguing premise (come on! Twins! Bad boy! Forbidden fruit! The Russian Mafia!) but comes across as a suburban daydream and; the emotional life of the characters is stunted even for young twenty-somethings.
+/- Lots of pages to dog ear if you are looking for the sex scenes though nothing particularly novel about the sex described.
- The two novels are really one story arc and could have been combined and edited down to better effect.

OTHER:
Penguin’s First to Read, a program that offers a lottery chance for readers to access digital galleys/advanced reading copies of their titles, offered Everything for Us (Bad Boys #3) this July. Everything for Us features the bitchy cousin that I mentioned above, in a kidnapping plot. I entered the lottery and, in anticipation of perhaps winning, I decided to read the first two books in the series. I did not win an ARC of Everything for Us whose release date is September 3, 2013. As it stands now, it is unlikely that I will read and review Everything for Us.

I purchased and dnloaded digital copies of Down to You and Up to Me (by M. Leighton) from Barnes & Noble/nook. I receive no monies, goods or services in exchange for reviewing the product and/or mentioning any of the persons or companies that are or may be implied in this post. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Aug 13, 2013 |
Nope. ( )
  bethorne | Apr 1, 2013 |
Down to Me was such a Hot fun read, with a twist I didn't see coming. I really liked Olivia and could identify with her shyness and her ability to act brave even when she was totally freakin' out on the inside. Her dealings with Cash and Nash were at times hilarious and some moments were so intense they completely melted the pages. Imagine two seriously hot dudes both are identical physically but one is a good guy and the other is a bad guy. Both are completely swoon-worthy. Olivia has been attracted to bad boys before and she has sworn them off.. but Cash is hard to resist and Nash is taken or is he? I giggled my way through this multiple POV tale with it's engaging plot and despite an epic ARC pile, I immediately started the next book Up To Me.