Moominvalley in November by Tove Jansson

Moominvalley in November (1970)

by Tove Jansson

Series: Moomintrolls (9)

Recently added byGuen, PawsforThought, Severnmeadows, private library, oddygem, ISCCSandy, wandering_star, eww1402
Legacy LibrariesAstrid Lindgren

English (15)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  All languages (22)

The last of the Moomin books, this barely has the Moomins in it; instead six characters - the established Snufkin and Mymble, the Hemulen and Fillyjonk who may or may not be the same as earlier Hemulens and Fillyjonks, and the new characters Grandpa-Grumble and Toft, all congregate in the Moomins' empty house in November. I had not read this one when I was a child, and I think a child reading it would be a bit bemused by the absence of the central characters. Of course it's really about death and letting go; Jansson decided not to keep churning out Moomin stories but to write, in effect, about not writing any more. Each of the six protagonists has a little character arc; usually the smart reader can see pretty quickly what it is that they will be learning in the course of the short narrative. I must admit that I too missed the Moomin family, and I'm looking forward to returning to the other books of the series in due course. ( )
  nwhyte | Aug 21, 2018 |
In this book, the regular main characters of the Moomin world - the moomin family, are not present. Instead we're introduced to other characters like Hemulen, Tofft, and Snuffkin. I did enjoy reading about them as they all ended up at the moomin family's empty house and following their passing of cold, rainy days in late autumn. However many of my favorite characters were missing (My, moominmamma), so it's not my favorite book in the collection. I think part of the genius of Tove Janssons characters is that they are realistic and relatable, in some way or another, even being a part of this very different universe. They are full of contraductions, of dreams that will never be fullfilled, of little quirks and bits that make them unique. Yet they all had the same idea of going to the moomin family when the cold wind arrived. It's a charming book perfect for this time of year to enjoy with a hot cup of tea. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
I loved this book. It's strange and different amongst the Moomin books because of the absence of the actuall Moomin family, but, having read the other books, I knew where they were.
Janssons style is poetic and loving as always. Each character ends up getting what s/he really needs. ( )
  Moem | Mar 11, 2014 |
Muumilaakson marraskuu on saturomaani, mutta sopii mielestäni kaikenikäisille. Se on verkkainen,jopa hieman surumielinen tarina, jossa syksyn tunnelma on käsin kosketeltavissa. Janssonin vähäeleinen kuvitus tuo mukavan lisän lukukokemukseen.
  ttaika | Jan 30, 2014 |

Jansson, Toveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hart, KingsleyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Helakisa, KaarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kicherer, BirgittaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brother Lasse
Early one morning in Moominvalley Snufkin woke up in his tent with the feeling that autumn had come and that it was time to break camp.

Tove Jansson's Moomin characters and books are admired the world over. In the United States the series beginning with Finn Family Moomintroll (first published in English in 1945) has accumulated generations of fans. Since Farrar, Straus and Giroux began reissuing the books in 1989, grateful readers old and new have been thrilled to have the stories available again. At last the final installment is being published – oddly, the only book that features none of the Moomin family themselves, though it does take place at their house. There familiar characters converge – Snufkin, the Hemulen, Fillyjonk, and others – seeking out the Moomins' welcoming company, only to find them absent. All remain at the house, all have very different personalities that clash often, but something about their homey cohabitation during the icy winter changes each visitor in a gratifying way. As The Times Literary Supplement put it, Moominvalley in November is "possibly the cleverest of the Moomin books."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

Winter's approach brings six friends together in Moominvalley where, in the Moomins' absence, they must visit with each other.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014030715X, 0141328673

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,911,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible