The Tube Riders - Part One : London by Chris…

The Tube Riders - Part One : London (edition 2012)

by Chris Ward

Member:DTChantel
Title:The Tube Riders - Part One : London
Authors:Chris Ward
Info:AMMFA Publishing (2012), Kindle Edition, 189 pages
Tags:to-read, horror-suspense

The Tube Riders (The Tube Riders, #1) by Chris Ward

When I first came upon The Tube Riders, it caught my attention with the originality of the premise. Here is a world that is cut off, harshly governed, and mysterious as all get out. Add in a set of characters who are willing to put their lives at risk for a little bit of a rush, and you have my attention. I don't think I would have ever thought of riding on trains as a way to unwind. For these characters though? That's reality. It's fabulous!

More than anything else, I instantly fell in love with the characters in this book. Marta, Paul, Switch and Simon are all intriguing in their own right. They are all the family that each other have, even when things get crazy. If I had to choose some favorites, I'd go with Marta and Switch. Marta is a no-nonsense kind of girl who does whatever it takes to keep her family safe. Switch is a little off sometimes, but loyal as they come and deadly to his enemies. This group is so diverse that you'd think they'd argue, and sometimes they do, but they play off one another wonderfully. Above everything, I loved seeing how they survived.

The world that Chris Ward builds here is fantastic in its own right though. Mega Britain is an insane world that uses militant rule to keep people down. There is poverty, violence in the form of daily riots, and so many secrets that it'll make your head spin. When the Tube Riders uncover a sinister plot by accident, it sets in motion a series of events that will have you holding on for dear life as you read. These poor characters never really have a moment to rest. Running from the authorities, being hunted by half animal, half human creatures, and trying to just stay alive. It kind of puts the high that they used to get from riding trains in perspective.

If there was one thing that was tough for me, it was just the length of the book overall. That's not to say that it doesn't maintain a pretty steady stream of action. More that I felt there were some descriptions, and some events, that probably could have been left out and still made for a intriguing story line. Parts of the story just felt a little over written. Totally my opinion! It might be different for other readers. It obviously didn't stop me from reading all 500 pages of this book. Rightfully so, because the ending was awesome!

Let's just say that if you're looking for something original and exciting to read, this is for you! Chris Ward once again proves that self-published works can be just as amazing (if not more so) than traditionally published ones. I am extremely glad that I picked up The Tube Riders and I so hope that there is more. Now that I've been immersed in the world of the the Tube Riders, I'm not willing to leave yet.
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Fast paced action in a dark world.

I really enjoyed this book. The dark vision of London's future was enthralling, and the moments when the Tube Riders hook onto a fast moving train had my pulse pounding hard. As the story unfolds you learn far more about the world they are in and the brutal restrictions on life in general and travel in particular. The fact that the grim world seems a natural evolution from our own times reinforces it greatly.

Highly recommended. If you read this book then I guarantee you'll be studying the outside of tube trains much more closely. Purely from an academic standpoint of course. You won't really be imagining what riding the train would be like... honestly... ( )
  Simon_Goodson | Feb 6, 2015 |
Really really liked this book!
It took me a little while to get into, because we are thrown into the action right away, and I had to acclimitize to the world and the characters, but man, the world was fascinating. Very well thought out, well described, I can't wait to read more.

The characters were all pretty cool. Loved Dreggo. The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars was the whole Marta/Ishael thing (yes, it's important!). They meet each other, have sex, and fall in love in two days? Not buying it. Would have much preferred if Marta got together with Switch. Good ol' Switch. He can be my homicidal friend any day.

I just bought the second one, and can't wait to start it. :) ( )
  ariel.kirst | Nov 14, 2014 |
Absolutely Riveting!
It is 2075 and Britain is now a dangerous, frightening place, ruled over by a cruel despot. The cities have become the stalking grounds of thugs and psychopaths and have been walled in to prevent the insalubrious citizenry from escaping to the countryside where the nice people live. Government agents prey on the people, transporting children to factories as slave labour or worse, to be fodder for the strange cyber experiments going on in secret places underground. Every so often space rockets are launched and fall back to earth, but nobody knows why. Somewhere in London the sinister 'Governor' controls the country but few have seen his face and there are rumours he has incredible supernatural powers.
There is no future and no hope for the young people of this shadow-land, so they find their excitement where they can. One small band rides the tube trains – on the outside, clinging precariously to wooden 'clawboards' clamped to the side, looking in at the terrified passengers. They become their own legend. Their ghostly faces peering through the windows assumed to be the wraiths of the dead – they are The Tube Riders.

This is, without doubt, the most exciting book I have read for some time. I was gripped from the first page. Chris Ward's dystopian 'Mega Britain' is chilling and utterly believable, as are his characters. I loved them all - the brave young people who strive not only to survive, but to incite rebellion and bring freedom to the oppressed people of the cities, the thinkers who keep their heads below the parapet and plan for the new day, even the dreadful cyber creatures, the 'huntsmen', who never asked to become monsters. Terrible things happen in this book, but there are also ingenious strategies and heroic stands. And most of all, there is love.

This is an epic work created by a superb writer. It is one of those books you will want to read over and over again, that will stay in your memory forever. ( )
  jennytwist | Sep 23, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,415,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible