Er ist wieder da: Der Roman by Timur Vermes

Er ist wieder da: Der Roman (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Timur Vermes

Member:PhysiCaRollMops
Title:Er ist wieder da: Der Roman
Authors:Timur Vermes
Info:Eichborn Verlag (2013), Edition: 13, Gebundene Ausgabe, 400 pages
Rating:*

Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes (2012)

English (41)  German (10)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  English (60)
Hilarious and/or horrifying. Given recent events, readers looking for escapism might want to avoid this book, which sees a nation fall in love with a TV personality who also happens to be a far-Right fanatic. Imagine Network, but with Hitler instead of Peter Finch. Every goose step of the novel is planned so meticulously, and the plot unfurls so plausibly, that you're completely wrapped up in the fantasy/nightmare - and Vermes even manages to make our Fuhrer sympathetic. ( )
  alexrichman | Nov 15, 2016 |
Look Who's Back - Timur Vermes **

I am partial to the odd satire novel, and mostly love anything that is linked to the Second World War, so when I read the description I really thought this would be a novel I would enjoy. Obviously I was aware that the plot was going to be a little on the nuts side but the reviews were all positive so I decided to give it a try.

Ok, so the storyline has Adolf Hitler waking up some 50+ years after he committed suicide at the end of the war (he just appears, no explanation is given). People who meet him assume he is an actor who continually stays in character and his reputation slowly builds. The country warms to this crazy old guy and soon his influence starts to build as more and more people are captivated by his ‘act’, whilst he is sincere his words are perceived as being full of irony and the audience love it.

One of the reviews on the cover states ‘This uproariously funny satire will have you in stitches’, what greater accolade could it be given? Unfortunately it was the exact opposite for me. I can’t remember even having a slight smirk let alone a laugh out loud moment. Maybe the humour was lost in translation? I certainly felt as if I was on the outside of a number of the ‘jokes’ as the book was originally released in Germany and as such had more than a few references to the modern German media.

I suppose the author really did take a risk in writing ‘Look Who’s Back’, emotions still run high when the Third Reich is mentioned and I bet he faced a lot of criticism. Certainly he has lost some stars on Amazon by reviewers because of this, but I feel that readers should know exactly what to expect when you pick the book up. For me it has received a poor review simply because it wasn’t funny, in fact I would even go so far as to say it bored me.

Not something I can recommend, there are much better books out there to be wasting your time with this. A 5 star idea written as a 1 star novel, so 2 stars overall. ( )
  Bridgey | Sep 28, 2016 |
Well-written and funny in many places. The low mark is I don't really think anyone should be writing about Hitler as a Charlie Chaplin Buffon, never mind a german. It even makes jokes about 5m Jews exterminated. Oh! How I laughed when I read the Holocaust helped with the world's overpopulation. A friend said, but there is a lot of unhappiness in the world. Yes, of course. and I don't want a sit-com about Isis or famine or Tsumamis either. ( )
  mumoftheanimals | Sep 22, 2016 |
You need to have a little understanding of modern German society to really appreciate this book.
Still, it left me a bit wanting in the second half and disappointed in the end but there are some gems in there. ( )
  ossi | Aug 27, 2016 |
just not my type of humor only funny part was the comparions of Angels Merkel to a Trauerweide. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Jun 23, 2016 |

Timur Vermesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andersson, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bulloch, JamieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Slobodan DamnjanovićTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiebel, JohannesCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Das Volk hat mich wohl am meisten überrascht.
It was probably the German people, the Volk, which surprised me most of all.

Summer 2011. Berlin. Adolf Hitler wakes up on a patch of ground, alive and well. Things have changed - no Eva Braun, no Nazi party, no war. Hitler barely recognises his beloved Fatherland, filled with immigrants and run by a woman. People certainly recognise him, though - as a brilliant, satirical impersonator who refuses to break character. The unthinkable, the inevitable, happens, and the ranting Hitler takes off, goes viral, becomes a YouTube star, gets his own TV show, becomes someone who people listen to. All the while he's still trying to convince people that yes, it really is him, and yes, he really means it. Look Who's Back is a black and brilliant satire of modern media-bloated society, seen through the eyes of the Fuhrer himself. Adolf is by turns repellent, sympathetic and hilarious, but always fascinating. Look Who's Back is outrageously clever, outrageously funny - and outrageously plausible.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,655,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible