Tangled Ashes by Michèle Phoenix

Tangled Ashes (edition 2012)

by Michèle Phoenix

324347,362 (4)None
Member:booksintheburbs
Title:Tangled Ashes
Authors:Michèle Phoenix
Info:Tyndale House Publishers (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 384 pages

Tangled Ashes by Michele Phoenix

Read in July, 2013

Amazing WWII influencing contemporary connxns of this intro to author Michele Phoenix. Perfect read for the Canadian Reading Challenge #7, as Michele has a Canadian father.

She uses this connxn in Tangled Ashes as her MC's father is set as Canadian Quebecois. A character rough edged with past relational hurt that wears on everyone within arms reach. I found the characters depth and insights into personal conflicts unusually intriguing. Authentic portrayals of life situations include health issues, marital breakdown, influence of past relationships, loss of confidence, spiritual struggles, business leadership, and alcoholism. Ms Phoenix is adept at contemporizing the setting as well as historical impact and information.

An intriguing mix of suspense, mystery and personal interest.
  FHC | Jun 23, 2014 |
This was a very interesting book, the author did such a great job of relating the past to what was going on in the present. It kept your interest throughout the entire story. Another interesting things is that at the end of the book the author gives you a her web site where she gives you the history of the castle that the story is about because she actually spent a lot of her time there as she was growing up. ( )
  Grandy | Jun 5, 2013 |
I was drawn to the name of the book because “ashes” just has this image of past issues, past hurts, and you can either squash them or have them consume you. So, I immediately agreed to review this book and am glad I did.

Mixing the Ingredients: Plot, Character, Storyline:

The story is told through two viewpoints: one is a voice from the past and the second is the voice of Becker, a man confronting his own demons and ghosts of the past. In France, Bexter travels to help in the restoration of a 200 year old castle. While there, he meets Jade, who is some ways becomes his conscience. Jade is a no holds barred woman, who is a nanny/chef to the family that owns the castle. The plot is quite intriguing, especially knowing the castle does actually exist. While there was great detail in the life of Becker and Marie’s life, I was hoping there would have been more indepth character development to some of the sub-characters: Terese’, JoJo, Jade, and Elise’s relationship with her beau. The storyline moves rather slowly in the beginning, but quickly moves along, connecting the relationships, filling the gaps in memories, and confronting the ghosts that seem to never be too far behind some of the characters. During the renovation of the castle, it is Jade and Becker that seem to have the most evolvement in their character development. While there was a lot of detail that went into the description of the castle, it did not take away from the storyline. Rather, it helped give a visual aide to the reader and comes in handly at the end of the book, too!

My Overall Thoughts:

I found myself having a difficult time concentrating, during certain parts of the story. Then, there were times, that the story moves quite nicely and flowed really well. I would have liked to have had more background information about JoJo and Terese, what happened to Marie and Elise in better detail, and the relationship between Jade and Becker. Overall, this was a great story and I loved knowing that the author actually lived near the castle and created this beautiful story based on her own ideas and hopes that come from the magic of being in a castle. I would recommend this book to those who love a great mystery, a book with great questions and thoughts about God, inner battles people experience, and who love a great book that brings hope and forgiveness.

This is a story about confronting ghosts of the past and restoring one’s self. ( )
  booksintheburbs | Nov 19, 2012 |
This book is an interesting mix of historical and modern fiction. Overall, I enjoyed the storylines that wove the past and present together. Phoenix did a great job meshing a commonly known event (the Nazi occupation of France) within a work of fiction.

I also appreciated the clean, Christian perspective in this book.

I definitely recommend this book for a quick, interesting read! I am looking forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  HerrellFam | Oct 27, 2012 |

"When Marshall Becker arrives in Lamorlaye, France, to begin the massive renovation of a Renaissance-era castle, he unearths a dark World War II history few in the village remember. The project that was meant to provide an escape for Becker instead becomes a gripping glimpse into the human drama that unfolded during the Nazi occupation and seems to live on in midnight disturbances and bizarre acts of vandalism."--Publisher's website.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,612,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible