Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese…

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald (edition 2013)

by Therese Anne Fowler

Member:Beamis12
Title:Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald
Authors:Therese Anne Fowler
Info:St. Martin's Press (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler

The past and present view on this famous couple by people is either you hate them or like them. I admire how this story presents Zelda Fitzgerald as an intelligent, talented woman struggling for her independence. It's difficult not to admire the works of F. Scott and it's nearly impossible to believe that his wife had no influence on them. ( )
  writercity | Aug 13, 2014 |
For the last week and a half I have gotten into my car and stepped back in time. To a world of jazz and cocktails. Of flappers and Modernist Art. I have sipped champagne with Zelda Fitzgerald at The Plaza and discussed literature with Ernest Hemingway (who is a chauvinist pig, by the way) at a cafe in Paris.

It's been a lovely couple of weeks with this beautiful novel on audio. I'd like to start it all over again.

"Z" is insightful and fascinating. I can't speak for its historical accuracy because I'm not very familiar with the personal lives of Zelda and F. Scott Fitzgerald but I hope that after I write this review and I start to research the facts I discover she is as strong of a researcher as she is a writer.

This is a novel that inspires and feeds a writer's mind. I have written three short stories in the last two weeks. All three were sifting through my brain long before I picked this book up, but something about suffering through Scott's struggles with writer's block inspired me to put pen to paper. Or perhaps its the knowledge that as a woman I should be grateful I'm allowed to put pen to paper at all. Either way, this book made me want to be a better writer. And to write more often.

I can think of only one critique. The ending. *Sort of a Spoiler* I think it should have ended on more of a Zelda note and less of a Scott note. After hours of learning just how much she struggled in his shadow, ending it with his death (prior to the afterword that is) just feels like one more loss for Zelda. Then again, it also makes it true to life I suppose. Even the afterword was much about Scott, right down to that last line. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
As painted by Therese Anne Fowler, the Fitzgeralds were narcissistic partiers who reveled in debauchery, and whose lives ended in tragic, if somewhat predictable ways. I did not enjoy reading about their endless drinking and scandalous behavior. ( )
  silva_44 | May 20, 2014 |
(I received an e-copy of Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald courtesy of NetGalley.)

I am such a huge fan of The Fitzgeralds. I think my fascination for the jazz age goes hand-in-hand with my love for Hollywood and vintage glamour. Zelda and Scott were the "it" couple. While, if they were around today, they may be on the covers of the trashy tabloids - their exploits are fun and exciting and dramatic - and make for a wonderful story.

But there is more to their story than the flashy parties and the extravagant salons, and all of the famous friends. Really, what we have, is a pair of people both brilliant and deeply troubled. They strive for success (and achieve it), but they must also live with depression, and failures.

Therese Anne Fowler (who has been on my "must read" list forever!) paints a portrait of this couple that is relatable, and touching, and heart-wrenching. Zelda, a fiercely beautiful and outgoing young woman, who is swept into Scott's exciting life. When Zelda meets Scott, he is too confident and too silly for her parents to approve of the match. Despite her family's misgivings, Zelda marries Scott. This decision ultimately shapes the rest of her life.

Fowler describes the luxurious, booze-fueled early days of the Fitzgerald marriage in such charming details that I dreamed of tagging along. I loved reading these accounts from Zelda's perspective, as she makes herself over into the flapper of Scott's stories. The public waits on their every action and every word.

As the years pass and the Fitzgerald's marriage is challenged by financial hardships, emotional breakdowns, and the presence of one well-written (if infuriating!) Ernest Hemingway, Fowler showcases a marriage that struggles, despite the odds. There is so much emotion in these pages. I couldn't put them down. ( )
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
(I received an e-copy of Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald courtesy of NetGalley.)

thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
Happily, happily foreverafterward - the best we could.
- Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald
Prologue: Dear Scott, The Love of the Last Tycoon is a great title for your novel.
Chapter I: Picture a late June morning in 1918, a time when Montgomery wore her prettiest spring dress and finest floral perfume - same as I would wear that evening.

Picture a late-May morning in 1918, a time when Montgomery wore her prettiest spring dress and finest floral perfume—same as I would wear that evening…

Thus begins the story of beautiful, reckless, seventeen-year-old Zelda Sayre on the day she meets Lieutenant Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald at a country club dance. Fitzgerald isn’t rich or settled; no one knows his people; and he wants, of all things, to be a writer in New York. No matter how wildly in love they may be, Zelda’s father firmly opposes the match. But when Scott finally sells his first novel, This Side of Paradise, Zelda defies her parents to board a train to New York and marry him in the vestry of St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Life is a sudden whirl of glamour and excitement: Everyone wants to meet the dashing young author of the scandalous novel—and his beautiful, perhaps even more scandalous wife. Zelda bobs her hair, trades in her provincial finery for daring dresses, and plunges into the endless party that welcomes the darlings of the literary world to New York, then Paris and the French Riviera.

It is the Jazz Age, when everything seems new and possible—except that dazzling success does not always last. Surrounded by a thrilling array of magnificent hosts and mercurial geniuses—including Sara and Gerald Murphy, Gertrude Stein, and the great and terrible Ernest Hemingway—Zelda and Scott find the future both grander and stranger than they could have ever imagined.

A tale inspired by the marriage of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald follows their union in defiance of her father's opposition and her abandonment of the provincial finery of her upbringing in favor of a scandalous flapper identity that gains her entry into the literary party scenes of New York, Paris and the French Riviera.… (more)

4 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible