Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese…

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald (edition 2013)

by Therese Anne Fowler

Member:Beamis12
Title:Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald
Authors:Therese Anne Fowler
Info:St. Martin's Press (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***1/2

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler

Despite studying English in college, I actually knew very little about Zelda Fitzgerald other than who she was. This novel prompted me to look further into her life and the life of her husband. While this novel is fiction, it is based on fact and is written from Zelda's point of view. I enjoyed reading about her life, her loves, and even the demons she faced in later years. I came away thinking of her as a sad figure who was in a marriage she should not have been in to an egotistical alcoholic. As the author acknowledges in the end, there are differing opinions on both Zelda and Scott. She calls them Team Scott and Team Zelda, in fact. I still appreciate his writing, whatever type of person Scott truly was. ( )
  hobbitprincess | May 25, 2015 |
Really enjoyable book. Although fiction, it's based on real people and events. I read Gatsby recently; now I want to read more of Fitzgerald's works and Hemingway's, too. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
Happily, happily foreverafterward - the best we could.
- Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald
If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

—T.S. Eliot
Once again

To

Zelda
Prologue: Dear Scott, The Love of the Last Tycoon is a great title for your novel.
Chapter I: Picture a late June morning in 1918, a time when Montgomery wore her prettiest spring dress and finest floral perfume - same as I would wear that evening.

Picture a late-May morning in 1918, a time when Montgomery wore her prettiest spring dress and finest floral perfume—same as I would wear that evening…

Thus begins the story of beautiful, reckless, seventeen-year-old Zelda Sayre on the day she meets Lieutenant Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald at a country club dance. Fitzgerald isn’t rich or settled; no one knows his people; and he wants, of all things, to be a writer in New York. No matter how wildly in love they may be, Zelda’s father firmly opposes the match. But when Scott finally sells his first novel, This Side of Paradise, Zelda defies her parents to board a train to New York and marry him in the vestry of St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Life is a sudden whirl of glamour and excitement: Everyone wants to meet the dashing young author of the scandalous novel—and his beautiful, perhaps even more scandalous wife. Zelda bobs her hair, trades in her provincial finery for daring dresses, and plunges into the endless party that welcomes the darlings of the literary world to New York, then Paris and the French Riviera.

It is the Jazz Age, when everything seems new and possible—except that dazzling success does not always last. Surrounded by a thrilling array of magnificent hosts and mercurial geniuses—including Sara and Gerald Murphy, Gertrude Stein, and the great and terrible Ernest Hemingway—Zelda and Scott find the future both grander and stranger than they could have ever imagined.

A tale inspired by the marriage of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald follows their union in defiance of her father's opposition and her abandonment of the provincial finery of her upbringing in favor of a scandalous flapper identity that gains her entry into the literary party scenes of New York, Paris and the French Riviera.… (more)

320 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,919,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible