The Great Comic Book of Heroes by Jules…

The Great Comic Book of Heroes (1965)

by Jules Feiffer

The first history of comic books, cartoonist Feiffer, who later won a Pulitzer Prize, delivers a fascinating account of super heroes comics alongside some of the more obscure creators. For example, Detective Comics #1, the first National title that spawned the company's much better known by the nom de plume DC, received a full critique of the artists (future great Craig Flessel, pre-Superman Joe Schuster, text-heavy Tom Hickey, Caniff-wannabe Will Ely, and Mandrake-copier Fred Guardineer) and the actual content. Feiffer follows the heroic trail in an approachable and engaging style. Still one of the finest introductory texts to the origins of the super hero comic book. The original hardcover volume included reprints of the comics that Feiffer mentions throughout. In 2003, Fantagraphics reprinted only the text portions in an affordable trade paperback. ( )
  rickklaw | Oct 13, 2017 |
an absolutely necessary read for anyone interested in comics even a little ( )
  melancholy | Apr 9, 2010 |
Great color reprints of golden age comics along with their associated history. ( )
  stevetempo | Nov 6, 2008 |
This homage by Feiffer to the great comic book heroes has become almost legendary since its first appearance in 1965, but it is mainly Feiffer's essays on the comic books that distinguishes it. The illustrations are nicely reproduced, with several complete stories (some origin stories), but for the most part the selections are unremarkable. A nice reference book, mostly for the obvious affection Feiffer has for his subjects. ( )
1 vote burnit99 | Jan 15, 2007 |
There are a couple of books that I got when I was a kid that are true gems; books that I never fully appreciated at the time. This is one of them. Mr. Feiffer tells about his discovery of superhero comics as a kid in the forties and a bit of how the genre progressed in that time. Then he gets done with the boring text pages and reprints a number of comic stories from that period. All great tales (for old comics) which would undoubtedly cost major bucks to obtain today. I don't think my mom realized what a treasure she gave on that Christmas Day, so many years past. (Or maybe she did. My mom has given me a lot of nice presents.) Anyway, now that I'm an old geezer, I can appreciate the text almost as much as the reprints. This one will stay on my shelf.
--J. ( )
1 vote Hamburgerclan | Sep 25, 2006 |

Feiffer, JulesAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Groth, GaryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sikoryak, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have known many adults who have treasured throughout their lives some of the books they read as children. I have never come across any adult or adolescent who had outgrown comic-book reading who would ever dream of keeping any of these "books" for any sentimental or other reason. Frederic Wertham, Seduction of the Innocent
"What th-?" Superman, Action Comics
This book I newly dedicate with the magic word: MJHK!
Maddy
Julie
Halley
Kate
Comic books, World War II, the Depression, and I all got going at roughly the same time.

A romping, rolling, simple, and satisfying tale—perfect for toddlers.

There’s a lot to keep a curious Kitty entertained indoors—rooms to run through, tables to topple, sleeping dogs to sniff. But what’s this? A huge place full of sky and squirrels, birds and bugs! Kitty can’t resist. Before the dog can say “Bark!” she’s out the window and into the wide world. But what will she do when she can’t find her way home? Happily, a friendly face is nearby to scoop her up when curiosity has worn her out. Kids and parents will see a bit of themselves in this lovable cat and dog pair, whose special dynamic is the heart of this bouncing, buoyant tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:08 -0400)

The editorial cartoonist examines the American art form which produced comic book heroes such as Batman, Superman, and Captain Marvel in the nineteen-thirties and forties.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,738,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible