Postcards From Cedar Key by Terri DuLong

Postcards From Cedar Key (edition 2012)

by Terri DuLong

Member:BookDivasReads
Title:Postcards From Cedar Key
Authors:Terri DuLong
Info:Kensington (2012), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***1/2

My Booklist review:

DuLong’s fourth Cedar Key novel (Sunrise on Cedar Key, 2011) finds chocolatier Berkley Whitmore moving from Salem, Massachusetts, to a tiny Florida island. Berkley relocates after she finds postcards between her recently deceased mother in Cedar Key and her grandmother. Berkley remembers the summer when she was five and her mother left her in the care of her grandmother. She feared her mother would never return. Why did her mother abandon her? Why did she return so sad? Although they were close, her mother never mentioned that summer but clearly meant for Berkley to investigate. Ambivalent about finding out what happened, Berkley begins by ingratiating herself into the community and, surprisingly, at age 46 finds a boyfriend in a local mystery author. When she finally asks if the denizens knew her mother, she’s disappointed when they don’t remember her. It takes more digging to find the answers she seeks. Readers of low-key romance will love this story, centered in a small, real-life Florida community.— Pat Henshaw ( )
  phenshaw | Nov 13, 2013 |
Postcards From Cedar Key by Terri DuLong
Wanted to read this book as I've been following the series and know there are many things I like about it. To me a good book is one that takes me places and I learn something new. This book has done that and so much more.
The knitting - there can never be enough books about knitting. Also the mystery and just the island living how everybody helps one another out when needed.
There is so much I love about this book: chocolates, knitting, crystals, soft shell crabs, fall foliage, spinning yarn, hurricane, charity community service, Pages and Paws program, mystery of the plant in the chocolate, Jordan Marsh Muffins and all the food.
Berkley Whitmore has postcards from her mom to her grandmother from the summer of 1972 when she had come to the island-Berkley as a 5year old stayed with her grandmother.
Now that she's cleaned out the house up north and has arrived at Cedar Key with postcards they do hold a clue as to what happened that summer and she starts asking around.
Neither would talk about that time and she feels she's missed a very important part of her life. Then again maybe some things in the past are better left alone....
Berkley Whitmore runs the chocolate shop:she has seashore themed chocolates and spins/sells her own spun yarn from her own alpacas at the local knitting store.
She also has invited her aunt-her mom's sister to come visit as she might have some photos or more clues.
One customer, a male, Saxton that comes in daily is becoming friendly and they share a meal once a week and with others take a cruise on the water. He has issues also as he's not seen his daughter in 20+ years now and after talking to Berkley is considering contacting her.
There are others who capture the storyline moving it along at just the right speed, never dull or boring. Even though there are a lot of characters in the book they do each play a small part in the whole scheme of things but it's not overpowering enough to take you away from the main plot. I love catching up to date with the others in the community and what everyone is doing to help others and the community out.
Such a relaxing book, hearing about the locals and how they clash and sometimes get along well.
Some parts of this book had me laughing out loud-this I do very rarely, and at times I sped up my reading to solve a mystery, and at other times my hands were clenched in annoyance as I've been through some of the scenes in real life.
Love how at the end everything comes full circle and how life continues on. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have never read Terri DuLong before so I didn't know what to expect. I found the writing and character development superbly executed. I loved the characters from the beginning. This is the story of Berkley Whitmore.

Berkley finds Cedar Key through postcards that her mother had sent to her grandmother. Berkley was 5 years old when these postcards were sent and living with her grandmother at this time. Postcards from Cedar Key tells the story of Berkley and why her mother had lived in Cedar Key one summer.

Berkley is a very independent woman until she meets Saxton. Saxton is the man that helps her and is with her while she searches for the truth about her mother. Berkley wants to really get to know her mother and she does in this book.

Wonderfully written and entertaining. ( )
  crazy4reading | Mar 2, 2013 |
From the book synopsis:

Everyone has been eagerly awaiting the opening of Cedar Key's newest shop, Berkley's Chocolates and Gems. For Berkley Whitmore, movie to the peaceful Florida island is more than a business opportunity. Beneath the bright purple streak in her dark hair lies a woman struggling with self-doubts. In Cedar Key, Berkley hopes to uncover the secrets that rippled through her mother's life, and in time, perhaps fill the gaps in her own.

Berkley's mouthwatering truffles and quirky charm draw a wide circle of friends--including the knitting enthusiasts who purchase yarn spun from her two alpacas. To her surprise, Berkley also attracts the admiration of Saxton Tate III, an English mystery author. And with the help of an old-timer local, she begins to piece together the truth about her mother and estranged father. Understanding the past brings a glimpse of what her future could be--if she accepts the love borne on the soft island breeze, and the happiness she's been seeking for so long...

I received this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program in exchange for a review.

This was the second of the Cedar Key series that I've read by Terri DuLong and I enjoyed it as much as the first book in the series, Spinning Forward. In fact, at some point, I plan to go back and read the books that I've missed out on.

I'm a knitter, so any time knitting is combined with fiction, I'm all for it. Especially when a knitting pattern is included!

I, too, was curious to find out the mystery behind Berkley's mom's life and her disappearance during for a time during her childhood. I thought that the issue of domestic violence was handled very well, though it was too bad that it was not taken as seriously during the 60's and 70's.

The only negative thing I have to say about this book is not really that negative. It's not what I would call a stand alone novel. I would strongly recommend reading all the previous books in the series before tackling this book. I felt like I missed out on a lot by not being familiar with all the characters that make up the residents of Cedar Key. ( )
  WifeMomKnitter | Feb 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Berkley Whitmore moved to Cedar Key, Florida to open a chocolate shop. She quickly makes new friends, and learns to love her new home. But Berkley moved to Cedar Key for another reason. Her mother lived on the island years ago when Berkley was a child and left Berkley behind. Berkley has never understood why her mother left her and why she went to Cedar Key. Now a series of postcards she found after her mother died, draws Berkley to Cedar Key, hoping to find the answers to her questions about her mother.

This is the 4th book in the Cedar Key series, but the only one I've read. It seems to stand on it's own pretty well. The book is very slow-paced, suitable to the genre, but there is way too much description and information provided, which slows the story down and makes it difficult to stay interested in the plot. It's entertaining and heart-warming and will be enjoyed by people who like to read about small towns and the quirky characters who live there. ( )
  lrobe190 | Jan 20, 2013 |

Berkley Whitmore, forty-six and never married, runs Berkley's Chocolates & Gems in Salem, Massachusetts. Also an avid knitter, she owns two alpacas whose wool she turns into yarn. Despite her outward confidence, she doubts her ability to have a meaningful relationship. After her mother passes away Berkley discovers a box of postcards and letters that lead her to Cedar Key. There, Berkley meets Saxton Tate III, a British mystery writer whose laid-back attitude and humour is precisely the balm she needs. With the locals' help, Berkley begins to unravel the secrets of her mother's mysterious past. And gradually she comes to find acceptance, forgiveness, understanding, and resolution - and the love she has spent years searching for.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:19 -0400)

Starting a new life in Cedar Key, Florida, Berkley Whitmore, plagued by self-doubt, is delighted when her new store, Berkley's Chocolates & Gems, draws a wide circle of new friends and the admiration of English mystery author Saxton Tate III, giving her the courage to find the truth about her past.… (more)

Terri DuLong is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Postcards from Cedar key by Terri DuLong was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,346,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible