dismiss

Beyond by Maureen A Miller

Beyond (edition 2012)

by Maureen A Miller (Author)

Series: Beyond [Miller] (1)

It is the day after Aimee Patterson's high school graduation. College beckons, as does her dream of becoming an engineer. On an early evening walk, her cocker spaniel charges into the woods on the other side of the pond. Aimee trails after him, and in the stillness of that forest the unthinkable happens. She becomes paralyzed and watches in horror as her hands vanish before her eyes. Waking to the sound of voices, Aimee realizes that she has been kidnapped. Little does she know how far away from home she is, though. In an attempt to flee her captors, she launches from their confines only to freeze at the view outside the window. The sky is black and filled with stars, and in the distance is a familiar blue globe. The planet Earth. A group of humans forced to flee their planet after an epidemic destroyed their civilization now travel the galaxies in search of an antidote. Retrieving samples of plant life from every solar system, on this occasion Aimee was accidentally seized instead. Aimee must learn to avoid the advances of an awkward young scientist who seems intent on dissecting her, as her own fascination turns to the exotic young warrior, Zak. Having fallen in love with Zak, she is now torn with the decision to return to Earth or live beyond the stars.… (more)
Member:Rempala
Title:Beyond
Authors:Maureen A Miller (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), 302 pages
Collections:2018
Rating:*****

Beyond by Maureen A. Miller

Very enjoyable and captivating. Great story... great ending.

I'm not one to read an entire book in one sitting, and although I didn't do that with "Beyond," I was tempted. I knew from the book description that Aimee would be taken away by alien beings and returned 5 years later, and I had preconceived ideas as to how the story was going to roll; alien beings with multiple, odd-shaped body parts performing invasive experiments on a young, female earthling. I was pleasantly surprised that I was wrong. How was I to know that she'd fall in love with not only one of her captors, but the entire race of alien people? What about her parents who had surely gone crazy with grief at the disappearance of their daughter. I had to get to the end of the book to find out what happened when she returned, and then what happened after that. Wow!

Great story. Great ending.
  JamesPaddock | Dec 4, 2016 |
My original BEYOND audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Beyond: Beyond the Series Book 1 is an enthralling tale of a young woman hours away from graduating with her life planned out before her. Aimee Patterson is an only child with parents that all kids long for until … She takes a fateful trip into the woods following her dog when suddenly she feels strange before blacking out.

When Aimee does wake up she finds her life is no longer planned out, she has no family and only Joh and a few others to help her navigate her way through her new world. Can she get back home? How does she maneuver her way through betrayal and treachery?

Maureen Miller builds a strong science fiction story full of twists and suspense. Miller captures the feelings of a young girl struggling to find herself and her way in a strange world all the while navigating through teenage girl hormones. The dialog is realistic as are the feelings of Aimee. Miller builds strong characters to draw her readers in and connect them to each and every character.

Miller develops the story line and characters with gracefully strong descriptions and situations.

Emma Lysy is a strong narrator; her voice helps to bring the reader in and keep them caught up in the story with her passionate, clear and moving voice. Her voice is even and soothing while projecting the emotions of Aimee and the chaos of her life.

I enjoyed this book immensely and listened to it non stop. I enjoyed the story and narrator to the point that I didn't want it to end. It was fun, light listening and Miller writes using vivid descriptions. Growing up, I loved stories such as this one - I longed to take those trips and explore new worlds while also finding myself.

This book is for anyone who loves science fiction, romance, and adventure.

Audiobook was provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Oct 19, 2016 |
Just after graduation Aimee Patterson takes her dog out for a walk on their large property when he runs off into the forest. She runs after him only to see him standing stock-still looking up at the sky. She goes to get him and he runs back the way he came. She turns to follow but now she can’t move.

When Aimee wakes she finds herself on a spaceship headed away from earth. The people are humanoid, and friendly. They say they will return her to her home as quickly as possible, on their next round past her planet 5 earth years from now!

In the time that Aimee is gone from earth she has many adventures, and makes many new friends, including one special one, Zak. She almost gets killed too by a scientist who wanted to dissect her.

I liked the way Aimee’s romance with Zak developed in this story. It wasn’t all at once. And while it did have a lot to do with physical attraction, it wasn’t totally physical attraction. It was built on their interactions with one another, their experiences together.

The descriptions of the various plants, animals and environments were well-described, making them easy to visualize. I would definitely have liked to have seen that sumpum standing on its back legs!

Action, adventure, clean romance. There is a lot to offer in Beyond. The pacing is moderately-fast. The closure on her five-year absence but that would be my only real critique. Otherwise I thought that Beyond was a fun science fiction read. I gave Beyond 4 out of 5 stars.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

This review is published on my blog Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2014/12/book-review-beyond-by-maure... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | Jan 13, 2015 |
A great action story, there was romance, but that was a minor side line. 2 aliens stuck on an alien ship trying to get home and the aliens on the ship want them to get home, it's just the other aliens. And you are left wondering who the aliens are.

Thank you Maureen for giving me this book ( )
  MaryAlice411 | Feb 13, 2014 |
Beyond (Beyond Series) By Maureen A. Miller

Beyond is an entertaining book and for the most part I thought it was mostly light reading and quite suitable for the young adult market. There were elements that seemed quite familiar throughout the book and if I went into great depth to find them all I'd probably be able to start pointing out tropes that I've seen in recent reading.

The most striking and probably unusual of all connections though was the connection I felt to Jacqueline Susann's Yargo. For those who might not know Yargo is one of Jacqueline Susann's novels that was published after her death. It was written way back in the early or mid 50's at about the time we were seeing such movies as The Day the Earth Stood Still.(the original) The copy I have of this book bears some striking similarity to the cover I have for Beyond. (A woman walking toward a light in the sky.) Both of the female protagonists are being kidnapped by some supposed superior race of space borne bipeds that look strikingly like humans but seem at first look to be almost perfect. They both unwittingly have something that these races need to improve and secure their continued existence. (In Yargo it less of a material thing as it is just the concept that they have given up emotions and the main character is attempting to break their emotionless barrier and bring them back to life.) What Aimee Patterson has is more material but vital to the continued existence of these people and that is probably telling too much and making this a spoiler.

In Yargo the setting is in some far off planet named Yargo with a rule named Yargo who is best described as looking like Yul Brynner only taller. Mars and Venus are inhabited, which was often speculated in much of the science fiction of those times. In Beyond we have mostly far off inhabited world and a large city in space (Horus) type of space ship structure. The aliens that look quite human are much more emotional than in Yargo and they are compassionate and do hope to get Aimee back home but they are on a rotation schedule that will wont bring them back to Earth for another five years. The aliens of the Guardian Ship Horus are on a quest to other planets to scout their flora and some fauna for a cure to a virus that devastated their home world. The aliens are mostly of one race but there is a mysterious outsider (Zak) who is possibly the sole survivor from a world that was destroyed by the evil Korons (Rock or Sandmen).

As was mentioned Aimee has been kidnapped and the nature of the voyage dictates that she cannot return to earth for 5 years although in space at speeds greater than light speed those five years are condensed. Naturally since this is a romance we can guess that soon Aimee and Zak will become close. This book though deals with a lot of the world building and the rules of this world and universe. There are several things that come up about the rotation of the ship compared to the rotation of space itself and the universe that create interesting puzzles. But the core of the story is mostly bound around the characters. There is Salvan who seems to be the major antagonist, he's the one who accidentally kidnapped Aimee. I don't think we are ever clear just what he might have had in mind at first but it's all pretty evil nasty as the story progresses.

We learn of some of the other planets that are visited on the route and we learn of the planet that Zak came from which is on a part of the rotation. And we learn that although the people on Horus are mostly safe from the virus that decimated their world they are not entirely safe and they live in fear it will show up anytime and since it is airborne it will likely move quickly. That means they are in constant fear while hunting for the cure. It is no help that the Korons have space technology and on occasion will attack the Horus and her expedition ships.

If I were to highlight any single deficiency in the story it would be the time line aka relative time in space flight vs time on planets. I had the impression that the five years aboard Horus were more like a year or less for those aboard. Yet Aimee speaks of being 18 at the beginning and 23 at the end which could all be resolved easily by just saying that is relative to the earth 23 while she's more close to 19. The problem is that it seems to be more than that. This could become problematical and would definitely put a damper on space flight if those aboard the ship experience life in a condensed form and aged five year for every one aboard a ship. Even if they lived to be one hundred or two hundred it would still be a drag.

That aside there is a lot of food for thought in the story and I think that those who like their science a bit light and enjoy romance and adventure they should be pretty happy with the Beyond Series and it did prompt me to reread Yargo to refresh my memory.

Anyone who likes Beyond should enjoy Yargo, although Yargo might be a bit difficult to obtain.

J.L. Dobias ( )
  JLDobias | Nov 10, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Maureen A. Miller is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,598,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible